Archive:Eleazer P. Whitney (1846- )
Representative Citizens of Seattle and King County.
[No author], A volume of memoirs and genealogy of representative citizens of the city of Seattle and county of King, Washington : including biographies of many of those who have passed away' (New York, Chicago: Lewis Publishing Company, 1903), p. 409-411.
Eleazer P. Whitney and his estimable wife are widely known in Black Diamond and throughout the surrounding district. He was born in Harrison, Cumberland county, Maine, on the 15th of February, 1846. His ancestors were descendants of John Whitney, who came to the New England coast in 1641. Many representatives of the family have figured prominently in the industrial or political history of this great country since that period. Direct ancestors of Eleazer P. were in the Revolutionary war, and his great-grandfather, Daniel F., was one of the twelve who drove the British out of Portland, Maine, in 1812. Eleazer P. Whitney was educated in the common schools of his native county, and in the academy at Bridgton, Maine. In 1873 he went to Chicago and was employed in the offices of the Pittsburg & Fort Wayne Railroad Company for two years, and for the succeeding two years he was stationed at Fort Wayne, Indiana, in the employment of the same corporation. In 1877 he went to San Francisco, California, where he was engaged in the teaming and transfer business for two years.
Mr. Whitney was married in September in 1875, to Mary E. Dwyer, and in 1879 they came to Washington, settling on a section of school land at Stuck, King county, where they lived for five years. On the expiration of that period they sold their property and removed to the Green river valley in 1884, taking up a homestead on the beautiful farm on which they have since lived. By purchase they have added to the original tract until they now have a very valuable and extensive farm of three hundred and nine acres located on Green river about nine miles from Auburn, and on the line of the Northern Pacific Railroad. It is also four miles from the gold mining town of Black Diamond. This farm is devoted to dairying and to general agriculture. All of its products find a ready sale on the market of Black Diamond, which has a population of about five hundred people.
Mr. Whitney votes the Republican ticket and has firm faith in the platform of the party. He belongs to Diamond Lodge No.83, F. & A. M., and to the Eastern Star chapter at Black Diamond. He has met with success in his business affairs and is to-day accounted one of the progressive and enterprising agriculturists of this locality.
Mr. Whitney has been ably assisted by his estimable wife, who has had a long career of notable activity and is well known not only in the west but in the eastern and middle states. She was born in Syracuse, New York, January 22, 1838, and received her early education in the public schools of Syracuse, and the Pompeii Seminary, and Fayetteville Academy, near there, her education being completed under the direction of her father, who was an accomplished scholar, and he well prepared his talented daughter for the battle of life. She engaged in school teaching in the vicinity of her girlhood home for about twelve years. In 1873 she went to Chicago and for three years was employed there as a drygoods clerk. During that time she first became known as a forcible writer of much ability, being a contributor to the old Chicago Times, then edited and published by Story. She won the warm personal friendship of that gentleman, who remained her friend until his death. From Chicago Mrs. Whitney went to San Francisco, California, in 1875, and there engaged in dressmaking for three years. As above stated, she came with her husband to Washington in 1879 and has since been identified with the interests of King county and of this state, principally as an earnest and forcible reform writer for various newspapers and periodicals, both of the east and of the west. For many years her home has been visited by prominent people throughout the country, who delight in the lavish hospitality bestowed by herself and very excellent husband.