Archive:History of Canterbury, New Hampshire
James Otis Lyford, History of the Town of Canterbury, New Hampshire, 1727-1919, Volume 2, Genealogies and Appendix (Concord, N.H.: The Rumford Press, 1912).
1. LEONARD1 WHITNEY m. first, ----- Wheeler; m. second, Polly Elliott of Concord. Tradition says he was in the Revolutionary war. There were several children by the first marriage. Four of these were Jeremiah2, who m. 10 Aug., 1812, in C., Mary Wiggin; Silas; Sally, who m. Nathaniel Wiggin; Mary or Polly, b. 18 July, 1787, m. 25 Dec., 1805, in C., Henry Beck, Jr. (See Beck Gen.)
Children by second marriage:
2. i. JOSEPH2. ii. CATHERINE, m. 15 Dec., 1830, in C., William Harrison Foster. (See Foster Gen.) 3. iii. LEAVITT C., b. 6 Dec., 1812. iv. DORCAS, b. 1818; m. Joshua Parker. (See Parker Gen.) 4. v. S. ELLIOTT, b. April, 1823.
2. JOSEPH2 WHITNEY (Leonard1) m. Hannah R. Snell of Dover. He d. 1 Sept. 1859, in C., aged 50 years. She d. 26 Aug., 1865, aged 57 years. Children:
i. WILLIAM3, d. 7 Oct., 1836, aged 4 years. ii. LAURENTIA A., b. 15 Aug. 1833; m. Abram Batchelder of Loudon. (See Young Gen.) iii. CHARLES A., d. 4 July, 1838, aged 3 years. iv. ELIZA A., m. Joseph Porter Batchelder of Loudon. (See Young Gen.) v. KATIE A., m. Anthony Cate. She d. 14 Aug., 1873, aged 33 years. vi. GEORGE, d. 26 Nov., 1866, aged 18 years. vii. AMANDA. viii. FRANK.
3. LEAVITT C.2 WHITNEY (Leonard1) b. 6 Dec., 1812, in C.; m. 16 March, 1837, Nancy S. Sargent, b. 10 March, 1817, in Loudon, d. 29 April, 1882. He d. 24 May, 1899. Children:
i. GEORGE W.3, b. 16 July, 1841, res. in Boscawen, d. 17 Feb., 1903. Child: Mrs. Nellie M.4 Marden, res. in Boscawen. ii. CHARLES S., b. 27 July, 1843; went to the Civil war and it was never known what became of him. iii. ARMENIA J., b. 10 Dec., 1845; m. 14 Dec., 1875, in Boscawen, Francis H. Morse. No children. Res. in Boscawen.
4. S. ELLIOT2 WHITNEY (Leonard1) b. April, 1823; m. Sarah F. West of Boscawen. He moved to Fisherville, now Penacook, then to Plattsburg, N. Y., where he d. Dec., 1897. Three of their five children (two d. young) were:
i. CHARLOTTE E.3. ii. IDA FRANCES, b. in Penacook, m. Frank Davis. She d. 10 Jan., 1895, aged 39 years. (See Davis Gen.) iii. KATHERINE M., m. James E. Riley. She d. 13 May, 1909, in Somerville, Mass. Child: Francese West4 Riley; m. 31 Dec., 1905, George M.8 Clough (Joseph7, Joseph6, Joseph5, Reuben4, Joseph3, John2, John1); one dau., Kathryn Clough, b. 19 Dec., 1906, in Somerville, Mass.