Archive:History of Concord, Massachusetts

From WRG
Jump to: navigation, search

Archives > Archive:Extracts > History of Concord, Massachusetts


[p. 44]

Stow's "Foundation Lots"

Twelve "foundation lots," containing 50 acres of upland and 15 of meadow, were at first granted in the following order:

Boaz Brown, Minister
Gershom Heald
John Buttrick
Ephraim Hildreth
Thomas Stevens
Stephen Hall
Samuel Buttrick
Joseph Freeman
Joseph Darby
Thomas Gates
Shadrach Hapgood.

Others were afterwards granted:

John Wetherby Dec 18, 1679
Richard Whitney, Sr. June 3, 1680
James Wheeler April 8, 1681
Moses Whitney April 8, 1681
Henry Rand Jan 13, 1682
Isaac Heald Jan 13, 1682
Benjamin Bosworth Aug 7, 1682
Thomas Ward Oct 24, 1682
Richard Whitney Jr. Oct 24, 1682
Jabez Rutter Oct 24, 1682
Thomas Stevens, Jr. June 17, 1684
Boaz Brown, Jr. June 17, 1684
Samuel Hall June 17, 1684
Mark Perkins Jan 1, 1685
Richard Burke, Sr. March 1, 1686
Roger Willis March 1, 1686
Benajmin Crane Dec 23, 1682
Joseph Wheeler April 19, 1683
Jabez Brown June 15, 1683
Thomas Williams June 15, 1683
Stephen Handell March 10, 1686
Benjamin Crane March 10, 1686

These were the original inhabitants of Stow, Massachusetts.


[p. 67]

It was necessary at all times to maintain scouts, garrison-houses and forts to protect the inhabitants. Some of the citizens of Concord were constantly employed in this manner. Nothing, however, is known to have occurred of much interest to the inhabitants until 1725.

One of the most fierce and obstinate battles in the annals of Indian warfare was fought May 8, 1725 at Pigwacket, near Fryeburg on Saco River. The Indians in that vicinity had become troublesome; and rewards were offered for their scalps. Capt. Lovewell with a company of men had killed 10 of them, and received at Boston £100 each for their scalps. Encouraged by this success he organized another company of 47 men to attack the villages of Pigwacket. They marched from Dunstable April 16th, 1725.

After proceeding to Ossippee pond, they built a fort. Benjamin Kidder being taken sick, was left there, and also William Ayer, surgeon of the company, Nathaniel Woods, Zachariah Parker, John Goffe, Isaac Whitney, Obadiah Asten, and some others, and were not in the battle.

Thirty-three proceeded on; and when they arrived near a point of land extending into Saco Pond, they were attacked, and during a most desperate battle 15 of them were killed, or mortally wounded; nine others were wounded, but were able to march. Paugus, the bold Indian chief, was killed by John Chamberlain under circumstances of bravery, which have consigned their names to the lasting remembrance of posterity.

The following are the names of this company.

From Dunstable

Capt. John Lovewell - killed.
Lieut. Josiah Farwell - wounded, lost on the way.
Lieut. Jonathan Robbins - killed.
Ensign John Harwood - killed.
Serg. Noah Johnson - wounded.
Serg. Robert Usher - killed.
Serg. Samuel Whiting - wounded.

From Andover

Jonathan Frye, Chaplain - wounded, lost on the way.

From Weston

Serg. Jacob Fullam - killed.

From Nutfield

Corp. Edward Lynnfield.

From Woburn

Ensign Seth Wyman.
Thomas Richardson.
Timothy Richardson - wounded.
Ichabod Johnson - killed.
Josiah Johnson - wounded.

From Concord

Eleazer Davis - wounded.
Josiah Davis - killed.
Josiah Jones - wounded.
David Melvin.
Eleazer Melvin.
Jacob Farrar - killed.
Joseph Farrar.

From Billerica

Jonathan Kittridge - killed.
Solomon Kies - wounded.

From Groton

John Jefts - killed.
Daniel Woods - killed.
Thomas Woods - killed.
John Chamberlain - wounded.
Elias Barron.
Isaac Lakin - wounded.
Joseph Gilsom.

From Haverhill

Ebenezer Ayer.
Abiel Asten.

[p. 72]

Capt. Jonathan Brooks, with 30 men from Concord, marched on alarm for the relief of Fort William Henry, August 17, 1757. They went only to Palmer and returned in ten days. Oliver Miles was out there three months, being wounded, taken prisoner, stripped naked and treated in a very cruel manner. Robert Estabrook, Jonathan Harris Jr., Joseph Wheeler, and several others were taken at Fort Edward. The Journal of the General Court gives the following names of "sick and wounded soldiers" in the Crown Point expediton from Concord, who received aid from the government:

Amos Parlin Daniel Brown, drummer. Stephen Hosmer William Richardson John Barker Samuel Brewer Samuel Wheeler Samuel Buttrick Jonathan Buttrick Amos Hosmer Thomas Billings Ephraim Brooks Ephraim Stow Samuel Estabrook John Robbins Boaz Brown Daniel Brewer Solomon Whitney [probably the one born 1735--RLW] Peter Prescott Timothy Barrett Consider Soper William Pool John Savage.


[pp. 90-91]

... a special town meeting was called, September 26th [1774] when the "whole town resolved itself into a committee of safety to suppress all riots, tumults and disorders in the town; and to aid all untainted magistrates, who had not been aiding and

p.91

assisting in bringing on a new mode of government in this province, in the execution of the laws against all offenders." At the same time it was also voted to raise one or more companies to march at a minute’s warning in case of alarm, to pay them reasonable wages when called for out of town, and to allow them to choose their own officers; to buy 420 pounds of powder and 500 pounds of ball in addition to the town stock of ammunition, and a chest of good fire-arms, "that those who are unable to purchase them themselves may have the advantage of them if necessity calls for it."

At this meeting also,

Mr. Samuel Whitney
Capt. Jonas Heywood
Mr. Ephraim Wood Jr.
Mr. Joseph Hosmer
Ensign James Chandler
Mr. James Barrett

Were chosen a committee of correspondence to hold intercourse with similar committees in other towns. The Selectmen had hitherto acted in that capacity. Delegates were also chosen to the proposed Provincial Congress.

The Provincial Congress met here in Concord, October 11, 1774, which was an important event. The delegates from Concord were:

Capt. James Barrett
Mr. Samuel Whitney
Mr. Ephraim Wood, Jr.

[p. 92]

November 21st, the town authorized the constables to pay the money in their hands, belonging to the Province, to Henry Gardner, Esq. of Stow, who had been appointed by Congress, “Receiver General” and at The same time voted to annul the non-consumption covenant, which, as already noticed, was entered into on The 27th of June. The articles of association, as agreed upon by the Continental Congress, were adopted in its stead.

A committee of inspection, composed of

Col. James Barrett
Mr. Joseph Hosmer
Capt. Jonas Heywood
Mr. Abijah Bond
Capt. David Brown

Was chosen “to see to the punctual and particular observance of the said association agreement.” A preamble:

“We whose names are underwritten, promise for ourselves and those under us, that we will strictly adhere to the Continental Congress Association, which is hereunto annexed, in all its parts and clauses;” was adopted January 25, 1775; and a copy furnished to each inhabitant for his signature, by a committee chosen for the purpose, consisting of

Ensign James Barrett
Mr. Ephraim Wood, Jr.
Mr. Samuel Whitney
Mr. John Green



[p. 94]

During the month of February 1775, the town used the greatest caution to have the articles of association observed. Several meetings were held, and such measures as the state of the times required, adopted.

Capt. Timothy Wheeler
Mr. Andrew Conant
Mr. Samuel Whitney
Capt. John Greene
Mr. Josiah Merriam
Mr. Ephraim Wood, Jr.
Mr. William Parkman
Capt. Thomas Davis

Were added to the committee of inspection, and directed to return the names of those who declined signing the articles of association. Such were to be treated with neglect and destation. Three only were returned.


[p. 98]

This was received in December, 1775 and in the accompanying letter, Colonel Lee writes, "Don't so much as mention the name of powder, lest our enemies should take advantage of it."

Eight hogsheads more were soon received from Colonel Lee, 6 of which were sent the last of March to Leicester. He also sent to Concord another load, containing tents, poles, axes, and hatchets, stored at Abishai Brown's; and also 318 barrels of flour, 68 of which were stored at Ebenezer Hubbard's (which was partly destroyed on April 19, 1775), 66 at Captain Timothy Wheeler's, 56 at Samuel Jones's, 23 at Isaac Hubbard's, 16 at Jonas Heywood's, 82 at Samuel Whitney's and 7 at Jonathan Heywood's.


[p. 119]

"We the subscribers, committee of correspondence for the town of Concord, having taken into consideration the conduct of Dr. Lee of said town of late, are fully of the opinion, that he be confined to the farm his family now lives upon; and that, if he should presume to go beyond the bounds and should be killed, his blood be upon his own head. And we recommend to the inhabitants of the town, that, upon his conducting well for the future, and keeping his bounds, they by no means molest, insult or disturb him, in carrying on his common affairs on said farm.

Signed by the Committee of Correspondence:

Jonas Heywood
Ephraim Wood, Jr.
James Barrett, Jr.
Joseph Hosmer
Samuel Whitney

"Concord, April 26, 1775."


[p. 185]

A mutual council sat here April 11, 1769, whose result was favorable to the church, but was not accepted by the aggrieved brethren. After repeated "hearings" the candidate was still excluded; and notwithstanding frequent efforts of the church to promote peace and harmony, the difficulties remained unsettled. Under these circumstances, an ex parte council met at Mr. Ebenezer Hubbard's, August 28, 1770, consisting of the Rev. Messrs. Gad Hitchcock of Pembroke, moderator, Jacob Cushing of Waltham, Samuel Woodward of Weston, Jonas Clark of Lexington, Jonas Merriam of Newton, Elias Smith of Middleton, Phineas Whitney of Shirley, Zabdiel Adams of Lunenburg and delegates from their respective churches.


[p. 231]

The members of the Massachusetts Agricultural Society, living in the western parts of the county, met at Chelmsford, January 6, 1794, and formed a society for the "promotion of useful improvements in agriculture," and were incorporated, February 28, 1803, as "The Western Society of Middlesex Husbandmen." It did not include Concord nor other towns in the easterly part of the county. Meetings were held semi-annually, alter- nately at Westford and Littleton, but no public exhibitions took place. The following gentlemen were successively elected Presidents:

Rev. Jonathan Newell of Stow
Rev. Phineas Whitney of Shirley
Rev. Edmund Foster of Littleton
Ebenezer Bridge of Chelmsford
Dr. Oliver Prescott of Groton
Colonel Benjamin Osgood of Westford
Wallis Tuttle, Esq., of Littleton
Hon. Samuel Dana of Groton

[p. 294]

The inhabitants in the southeasterly part of Concord petitioned that town several times between 1734 and 1743 to be set off into a separate precinct or town; but, being unsuccessful, a petition was preferred to the General Court, August 10, 1744, which obtained favor, though opposed by a committee of the town; and the following individuals, living in the easterly part of Concord, westerly part of Lexington and northerly part of Weston, were incorporated as the Second Precinct of Concord, April 24, 1746, viz.

Joshua Brooks
Thomas Garfield
Benjamin Brown
James Brooks
Robert Gage
Ephraim Segard
John Whitney
Benjamin Allen
Ebenezer Hunt
Thomas Baker
Samuel Dakin
Joseph Parks
John Wright
Ambrose Tower
Daniel Reed
Mary Conant
Jeremiah Clark
Thomas Garfield, Jr.
Benjamin Brown, Jr.
Hannah Corey
Jonathan Wellington
Jonathan Gove
George Pierce
Joseph Brooks
Jordan Clark
Amos Merriam
Joseph Pierce
Zebediah Smith
Ebenezer Lampson
John Headley
Timothy Wesson
Benjamin Monroe
John Gove
Samuel Bond
Thomas Wheeler
Ephraim Flynt
Joseph Pierce, Jr.
Joshua Brooks, Jr.
John Garfield
Ebenezer Cutler
Nathan Brown
Edward Flynt
Stephen Wesson
John Adams
John White

[p. 353]

April 9, 1776.

This was an enlisted company for the purpose of fortifying and defending Boston and its vicinity.

Officers:

Josiah Whitney of Harvard, Colonel
Ephraim Jackson of Newton, Lieut. Colonel
John Miller, Major

[p. 359]

Dec 2, 1780.

These men were to serve three years or during the war. The town decided, after considerable debate, by a vote of 53 to 42, to hire them in classes.

The Selectmen:

James Barrett, Esq.
Jonas Heywood, Esq.
Mr. Isaac Hubbard.
Mr. Samuel Hosmer.
Colonel Nathan Barrett.
Mr. Job Brooks.

were chosen to divide the town into as many classes as there were men to hire, according to wealth. The town voted to "proceed against" any who should neglect to pay their pro- portion in the several classes; each one of which hired a man at as low a rate as possible.

The men's names were:

Charles Adams
Richard Hayden
Jonathan Wright
Joseph Dudley
Isaac Hall
Lot Lamson
Francis Baker
Joseph Adams
Benjamin Barron
William Tenneclef
Richard Hobby
Leonard Whitney
Samuel Farrar
John Stratten
Daniel McGregor
Jonathan Fiske.

Bedford furnished eight; Acton, eight; Lincoln, ten; Carlisle, six. They were mustered by Captain Joseph Hosmer.


Copyright © 2006, Robert L. Ward and the Whitney Research Group

Personal tools