Archive:History of Framingham, Massachusetts
Probably Awassamog spent his last years with his son Thomas, whom he appointed his executor and heir. This son lived for a time in Sherborn, as appears from the following deed: "Thomas Awassamog of Sherborn, sells, June 4, 1684, Abraham Cousins of Sudbury, blacksmith, 14 acres of land in Sherborn lying on both sides of Chestnut brook, bounded northwesterly by land of Jonathan Whitney, Jr., and southeasterly with the house lot laid out to the administrators of Thomas Eames, said land being granted to me by the Town of Sherborn for a house lot."
THE COLLEGE LANDS. -- In a codicil to his will, Mr. Danforth, under the heading "Deeds of gift," specifies: "To the College three  tenements on lease to Benjamin Whitney, John Whitney, Isaac Bowen, situate at Framingham, on such conditions as I shall name." These three tenements were the sixty acres granted to Richard Wayte, and purchased of him by Mr. Danforth, lying northeast of Waushakum pond, and extending to the Beaver dam. This tract was leased by Mr. Danforth to the parties above named, who built three houses near each other, on the road northeast from the pond. The Sturtevant house occupies the place of Benj. Whitney's which was the middle one of the three. After Mr. Danforth's decease the lessees paid the rents to Harvard College. Mr. Bowen sold his lease to Moses Haven, who (or his sons) bought out the Whitneys.
About 1687, when Mr. Danforth had matured and made known his plans for disposing of his lands by long leases, settlers began to locate on the west side of Farm pond, and on the west side of Sudbury river. The Whitneys and the Mellens, from Watertown, settled on Danforth land in 1687 or 1688; . . . .
Probably Benjamin and John Whitney came upon the lands near Washakum pond, and Simon and Thomas Mellen and John Coller took possession of the lands west of Farm pond in 1687. But leases were not give to the form till 1693, and to the latter till 1696. The lease to the Whitneys has not been found on record. The rents and reversion of this estate were devised to Harvard College, as before stated.
Petition for Incorporation, 2 Mar 1692/3. Signed by:
- Benjamin Whitney
- Jonathan Whitney
- John Whitney
SECOND ANNUAL TOWN MEETING. -- "At a town meeting in Framinghamm, March the 3, 1701, legally warned, then and there were chosen . . . ; John Whitney, Jeremiah Pike, Benjamin Nurse, John Bent, tythingmen;  . . . ; Samuel Barton, Benjamin Whitney, Joseph Pratt, Goerge Walkup, swine drivers; . . . .
In 1715 the meeting-house was enlarged ten feet on the back side, making it forty feet square. The contract was as follows: "Voted that Thomas Drury, Jonathan Rice, Benjamin Bridges, John Whitney and Edward Goddard be a committee to agree with John How, to repair the meeting house, . . . .
In 1749, Benjamin Whitney deposed, "that he had known the way from Framingham to Sherborn for 60 years, and that the said road and bridge over Beaver Dam brook was always the same as now."
TAX LIST. -- Each man's proportion to a Tax of Ten Pounds to procure a stock of Ammuntion, June 27, 1710. [East Ward:] John Whitney, 02 05.
To make sure that Mr. Danforth's intention should be carried out, in order to perpetuate and preserve the right of commonage to present and future occupants of said Danforth's lands forever, Feb. 17, 1715-16, his heirs at law, viz. Francis Foxcroft, and Elizabeth his wife, John Whiting, Mary Brown and Sarah Sparhawk, executed a deed to John Whitney, Simon Mellen, Peter Clayes, John Winch and Joshua Hemenway, as feoffees in trust, of all this neck of land (except 600 acres thereof).
In Capt. Samuel Wright's Rutland company, in service from  Nov. 10, to June 10, 1724, are the names of Daniel How, Benjamin Hemenway, Mark Whitney and Daniel Rider, of this town.
Despairing of peace at home, a considerable number of the leading families living on the Hemenway road, on Mellen's Neck, and at Salem End, determined to seek religious privileges in the neighboring town of Hopkinton. And in the fall of 1732, six of the male members of our church applied for admission to the church in that town, without presenting letters of dismission from the Framingham church. The facts in this case, famous in the annals of Congregationalism, are best told in the language of the Hopkinton church recoreds: "Nov. 27, 1732. The church met to consider of the desires of Edward Goddard, Thomas Mellen, Benj. Whitney, Simon Mellen, Richard Haven and Simon Goddard, all belonging to the church of Christ in Framingham to be admitted into full communion with this church. Voted, to send to the church in Framingham to know what objections they had against our receiving them. Jan. 10, 1732-3, the church met, and voted to receive the above-named brethren, as members in full communion  with us, without a dismission from Framingham church (they being before in full communion with that church).
On this account we desire that this venerable Council will consider us as wholly dissenting in the settlement and ordination of Mr. Bridge, . . . Benj. Whitney, . . . Benjamin Whitney, Jr., . . . . FRAMINGHAM, February, 1745-6.
Capt. Brown's troop was ordered out on an alarm Sept. 23, 1747, and was in service till Oct. 27. On the muster roll are the names of . . . , Elias Whitney, . . . .
Alarm List in Capt. Henry Emme's Company 16 to 60 years of age, April 26, 1757.
- . . .
- Benjamin Whitney
- . . .
- John Whitney
- . . .
In Capt. Aaron Fay's (Southboro') company, in service from Mar. 13 to Nov. 26 , were . . . , John Whitney.
1761-2. Though the war was substantially ended, yet the Massachusetts authorities levied an army of 3,000 men. Capt. John Nixon (who since 1759 is put down as a resident of Sudbury) raised a large company, and was in service from April 18, 1761, to Jul 28, 1762. There are in all 108 names on his muster-roll. Some of the following names, credited to this town, will be recognized as found on earlier rolls, and a part are new. A few of these became better known in the war of the Revolution. . . . , Ephraim Whitney, . . . .
Under the call of Sept. 10, Capt. Aaron Gardner of Sherborn, raised a company of seventy men, who were assigned to Col. E. Brooks' regiment, and were in service on the North river, till Nov. 19, sixty-two days. Micah Stone of this town was Lieut. Colonoel in this regiment, and Moses Adams was chaplain.
- Muster-Roll of Capt. Aaron Gardner's company in Col. E. Brooks' regiment.
- . . .
- Corp. David Whitney, Holliston
- . . .
- Ephraim Whitney, Natick
DEATHS. -- The following is a list of the men from this town who died in service during the Revolutionary War.
- . . .
- Ephraim Whitney, k. by accident, Sept. 16, 1775.
- Jonathan Whitney, killed in battle.
- John Whitney, 1714, 26, 27.