Archive:History of Rindge, New Hampshire
Stearns, Ezra S., History of the Town of Rindge New Hampshire, From the Date of the Rowley Canada or Massachusetts Charter, to the Present Time, 1736-1874, with a Genealogical Register of the Rindge Families (Boston, MA: Press of George H. Ellis, 1875).
From Google Books.
Extracted by Brenda Hartwick.
The course of the streams is a certain index of the elevation of a place. Miller s and Contoocook Rivers have their rise in this town, and the water-shed, between the Connecticut and Merrimac River valleys, divides the town into two nearly equal portions. Here are several dwelling-houses, the water from one side of the roof of which finds its way into the Connecticut, and from the other side into the Merrimac, River. The northern slope of the township is drained into Long Pond, the head of the Contoocook River, flowing through Jaffrey and Peterborough, thence north and east emptying into Merrimac River a few miles north of Concord. The southern slope is mostly drained into Monomonock Lake, the head of Miller s River, which flows through Winchendon; thence west and south emptying into the Connecticut River near the town of Greenfield, Mass. The western portion of the town belongs to the southern slope, and is drained into Miller s River a few miles below its rise. The drainage of a small area in the southeast part of the town, including the stream from Pecker Pond, empties into the eastern branch of Miller s River in Ashburnham, which joins the northern branch from Monomonock Lake, at the reservoir of B. D. Whitney, Esq., in Winchendon.
Pursuant to the power and authority granted and vested in me by the Prop. of Lands purchased of John Tufton Mason, Esq., in the Province of New Hampshire, by vote passed at their meeting held at Portsmouth in said Province, the 16th day of June 1749.
I do, by these Presents, on the Terms, Conditions and Limitations hereafter expressed, Give and Grant all the Right, Possession and Property of the Proprietors afores d unto Solomon Stewart, John Combs, Jonathan Hubbard Junr, William Spaulding, Joseph Blanchard Junr, Collo John Hill, Samuel Cummings, Thomas Prentiss, Joseph French, Jona. Powers, Samuel Greele, Jona. Hubbard, William Downe, Peter Stevens, Sampson French, James Stewart, Robert Fletcher Junr., Eleazer Blanchard, David Cheever, Samuel Reed, Jona. Whitney, John Hubbard, Jacob Gould, Nehemiah Gould, Robert Melvin, Jerahmael Powers, Joseph Jackson, James Coleman, Peter Powers, Daniel Taylor, Samuel Greele Junr., Zacheus Lovewell, Stephen Powers, John Lovewell Junr., Joseph Winn, Nathaniel Page, Timothy Taylor, One Right each.
pages 51 - 52
That the following nine Shares be exempted from making settlement only to Pay their Proportion to all Public Taxes as other Grantees, viz: Benjamin Bellows for four Rights; Samuel Reed one; Jonathan Whitney one; Jonathan Hubbard Junr. one; Samuel Johnson one; Timothy Taylor one. That each of the said Grantees at the Executing this Instrument pay fifteen Pounds Old Tenour to defray the necessary charges risen or arising in Bringing forward the Settlement afores d, to be deposited in the Hands of such person as they shall appoint being a Freeholder and Resident in this Province. That the afores d Grantees or their Assigns assess such further sum of sums of money equally in Proportion to their Rights the share of each Grantee (exclusive of the three publick Lotts) as may be thought necessary for carrying on the settlement afores d or any Publick matter. And on failure of Payment for the space of three months after such assessment is agreed upon and posted up at such place or places as the Grantees afores d shall appoint for notifying Proprs. meetings that so much of such Delinquent Rights Respectively be disposed of as will pay the said Tax and all charges arising thereon. And in case any of the said Grantees shall neglect to perform any of the articles aforementioned he shall forfeit his share of Right in said Township unto those of the said Grantees who shall not then be Delinquent in the Performance of their part, and it shall be lawfull for them by their Agent or Agents to enter into and upon the Right of such Delinquent owner, and him to amove, oust, and Expell for their use, their Heirs and Assigns, Provided they settle such Delinquents Right within one year after the Periods Conditioned in this Grant, and fully comply with the whole duty such Delinquent ought to have done within the space of one year from Time to Time after the Respective Periods thereof. And in case they omit complying as afores d in that Term, that all such Delinquent Rights shall revert and belong to the Grantors their Heirs and assigns forever free from the Incumbrance of settlement or charge, always Provided there be no Indian Warr within the Terms afores d and in case that should happen, The same be allowed for the Respective matters afores d after such Impediments shall be removed.
pages 52 - 53
Of the grantees, forty-three in number, fifteen were residents, at this time, of Lunenburg, which then included Fitchburg. They were: Solomon Stewart, whose brother William was one of the first settlers of Peterboro; Major Jonathan Hubbard, a Deacon and Town Treasurer, who died April 7, 1761, and was buried in Townsend, soon after his removal from Lunenburg; His son, Jonathan Hubbard, Jr., removed (1757) to Charlestown, N. H.; Col. John Hill, whose children settled in Peterboro; Thomas Prentice, a Justice of the Peace, and prominent in public affairs; Capt. Jacob Gould, who was master-carpenter at the building of the first meeting-house in this town, and whose son, Jacob, Jr., settled in Rindge; Nehemiah Gould, Jonathan Whitney, Samuel Cummings, Samuel Greele, James Coleman, William Downe, who was proprietors clerk until 1758, a Justice of the Peach, and a Judge of the Court of Common Pleas; Nathaniel Page, who settled soon after in Rindge; Samuel Johnson, a man of wealth and enterprise, whose descendants for many years lived on Johnson Hill in this town; and Samuel Reed, who had a potash west of the residence of Addison Todd, and at the time of his death, July 7, 1771, owned one thousand acres of land in Rindge; but he never resided here. The residents of no other town were as numerous. John Hubbard, a son of Major Jonathan Hubbard, was of Townsend. His son, Rev. John Hubbard, was preceptor of the Academy at New Ipswich, Judge of Probate for Cheshire County, and subsequently professor at Dartmouth College. Of the same town was John Stevens, who was Treasurer for the proprietors for several years. Captain peter Powers was of Hollis; also his son, Rev. Peter Powers, who received the first call from the church at New Ipswich. He was afterwards settled at Haverhill, N. H. Zaccheus and John Lovewell, a brother and son of the famous Indian fighter, were of Dunstable, as well as Robert Fletcher, Jr., a surveyor. Gen. Joseph Blanchard, a son of Col. Blanchard, was of Merrimac, N. H. He was for several years clerk to the proprietors of Dublin. He subsequently removed to Dunstable. Stanton Prentice was a physician of Lancaster, -- a brother of Thomas Prentice, Esq., of Lunenburg. caramel Powers and William Spaulding were of Groton, and Major Joseph Jackson was of Boston. He was one of the very few whose residence is made known by the records. The few remaining names were probably from the vicinity of Dunstable.
pages 54, 56-57
The lots were promptly laid out by Lieut. Benjamin Bellows. By this survey the town was divided into ten ranges by east and west lines. Each range was divided into twenty-two lots by north and south lines. it was the intention of the surveyor to have the lots one hundred and sixty rods from north to south, and one hundred rods from east to west. This could have been done with an allowance for error of about one and three-fourths acres to each lot. The plan was generally carried out; yet a few lots exceed one hundred acres, and others are as much too small. The drawing occurred during the summer of 1750. From the charter it will be perceived that eighteen rights, or shares, which was about one-fourth of the township, were reserved by the Masonian proprietors for their own benefit. For the convenience of the reader their names, in the following schedule of lots drawn, are indicated by an asterisk. The others were grantees, and their names are contained in the charter.
Lot. Range. Lot. Range. Lot. Range. 38 James Stewart 8 1 8 2 6 6 39 Robert Fletcher, Jr. 8 8 9 8 6 8 40 Eleazer Blanchard 7 4 7 5 1 5 41 David Cheever 7 8 7 9 8 9 42 *John Moffat 6 4 7 2 4 5 43 Samuel Reed 6 7 7 7 8 7 44 Jonathan Whitney 6 9 5 9 8 5 45 *Theodore Atkinson 5 2 5 5 8 5 46 John Hubbard 17 9 13 9 3 9 47 Jacob Gould 18 9 18 8 18 7 48 *March and *Solly 6 2 2 9 10 2 49 *Thomas Packer 6 1 5 1 7 1 50 Nehemiah Gould 4 1 3 4 17 2 51 Robert Melvin 3 4 10 8 22 7 52 Jarahmael Powers 8 10 3 5 5 10 53 Joseph Jackson 10 10 6 10 10 7 54 Samuel Johnson, Jr. 10 4 9 4 9 2 55 James Coleman 15 10 15 7 15 1 56 Peter Powers 15 9 18 10 16 5 57 Benjamin Bellows 16 9 16 8 12 3 58 Daniel Taylor 17 10 17 4 17 3 59 Ministry 18 10 11 3 11 2 60 Samuel Greele, Jr. 4 4 5 4 3 2 61 Zaccheus Lovewell 3 6 4 6 5 6 62 Stephen Powers 1 1 12 2 11 2 63 John Lovewell, Jr. 1 2 13 1 13 2 64 *Thomas Wallingford 1 3 2 3 14 2 65 *Joseph Blanchard 1 9 1 20 8 6 66 * Jotham Odiorne 3 7 4 7 5 7 67 *John H. Wentworth 3 8 4 8 5 7 68 Joseph Winn 20 10 20 9 7 6 69 Nathaniel Page 21 10 22 10 11 8 70 Timothy Taylor 19 10 19 9 16 2 71 School 16 3 2 5 11 1 72 Benjamin Bellows 15 3 4 9 14 1 73 Mill Lots 12 8 2 8 2 7
The owners of sixty-seven shares drew three lots each; four rights, or twelve lots, were reserved for the ministry, schools, and mills; and two rights, or six lots, designated as public lots, were owned in common by the grantees. The whole number of lots was two hundred and twenty, which would leave one lot undrawn. This was lot nineteen in the seventh range. The public lots were sold at vendue, September, 1754, the three former to Jonathan Hubbard, Esq., for ninety-five pounds, and the remaining three to Jonathan Whitney for one hundred and five pounds, old tenor. From the schedule it would appear that Nehemiah Gould and Robert Melvin both drew the third lot in the fourth range, and to the ministry and Stephen Powers is assigned the eleventh lot in the second range; the third lot in the third range, and fourth lot in the third range, are not found in the list. The error probably is a clerical one. The last two lots should be placed in the room of the duplicate numbers.
Also voted that the charge of any law sute (sic) that shall be commenced by any of the Grantees ag nst the claimers of the Lands called Rowley Canada Township shall be borne by the Propriety in proportion to Interest whether the action be Tresspass or Ejectment.
Also voted that Capt. Peter Powers, Robert Fletcher, Junr. and Jacob Gould be a Committee and desired to go to said No. One & examine what Lotts are trespassed upon and by whom and procure proof thereof and that they make Return of such their Enquiry forthwith unto Joseph Blanchard Esqr. in order fro Prosecution and yt. they take such assistance with them as they shall need and in case Jacob Gould cannot attend the service that Jonathan Whitney supply his place and if said Whitney cannot go that then Soloman Stewart attend that service.
In January, 1769, occurred the first instance of warning out, -- a custom more honored in the breach than in the observance, and long since abandoned. It was the practice in all the towns to warn out new arrivals soon after their removal. Although they were commanded in positive terms to depart hence, it was not expected that they would go, and in a majority of cases it was ardently hoped that they would not. This proceeding was had, under the provisions of the statutes, as a safeguard against such persons obtaining a legal settlement in the towns to which they had removed, and in case any of the inhabitants, upon whom a warrant to depart had been legally served, became needy, the town from whence they removed was chargeable for their support. For many years, nearly all who removed hither, without regard to their social or financial standing, were warned out; and very many of those who became prosperous in business, honored as townsmen, and whose descendants have been useful and esteemed citizens, were requested to leave the limits of the town before they had become comfortably settled in their new homes. Not a few of those who were the first to respond to the call of their country during the Revolution were thus inhospitably welcomed to the town; but they doubtless received the summons in the spirit in which it was issued, and justly regarded it as a legal formality in which there was no sincerity. A few extracts selected at random from the records will illustrate more fully the nature of these proceedings. In the preservation of the names of the families, the date of removal to this town, and the place of their former residence, these records incidentally afford much valuable information concerning the emigration to the town.
To Mr. Jonathan Parker Junr, Constable for the Town of Rindge in said County, Greeting:
Whereas Sundry Persons of late Came into this Town which may Becom (sic) Inhabitants if not warned out and are likely to Becom (sic) a Town Charge in any time of sickness or adversity, viz: Silas Whitney and wife Jean and six children, all minors, viz: Love, Oliver, Bartholomew, Jean, Phebe, and Samuel, who came from Winchendon, in the province of the Massachusetts Bay, into this town in the month of February A.D. 1773. And Joseph Willson and wife Hannah and one Child Being a miner, viz: Temperance Robinson, who came from Petersham in said Province into this Town in the month of February 1773, and Isaac Russell who Came from Littleton in said Province into this town in the month of November A.D. 1773. You are therefore Required in his majesty s name to Notify and Warn all and each of said persons to Depart out of this Town as they will answer there Contempt under ye Penalty of ye Law.
Hereof fail not and make Return of this warrant with your doings thereon as soon as may be.
Dated at Rindge aforesaid this sixteenth day of December in the fourteenth year of his majesty's Reign A.D. 1773.
CHESHIRE, SS. Rindge January ye 1st 1774.
In Obedience to the within warrant I have warned all and each of the within mentioned persons forthwith to Depart out of this Town as the Law directs,
- JONA. PARKER JUNR.,
- Constable for said Rindge.
Edward Jewett, whose name frequently occurs upon the records, and who resided for many years upon the farm now of Ivers H. Brooks, came from Concord. John and Abraham Wetherbee, brothers of Benjamin, settled in the southeast part of the town, the former on the farm recently of J. S. Wetherbee, his grandson, and the latter where A. J. Converse now resides. Jonathan and his brother Obadiah Sawtell were from Groton, and settled in the east part of the town. From the same town was Salmon Stone, who located upon the Lord farm near the centre of the town. Asa Sherwin and John Sherwin were from Boxford; The former lived upon the farm formerly of the late Charles Cutler, and the latter, at a later period, occupied the house previously owned by Philip Thomas. to gain a better idea of the town as it was at the close of these seven years of constant emigration, the reader should locate Benjamin Bancroft, from Groton, near the residence of Col. G. W. Stearns; Henry Godding upon the Dea. Cummings farm; Ebenezer Muzzey near the residence of Ezra Page; Solomon Cutler upon the Dr. Thomas Jewett place -- the last three from Lexington; --Richard Kimball, from Boxford, upon the Gates farm, enjoying the Adams clearing; Levi Mansfield upon the Amos Keyes farm; John Hannaford between the residence of Lyman Bennett and Monomonock Lake; James Wood, from Boxford, near the residence of B. F. Danforth; John Earl, or Eills, as he spelled the name, upon the Josiah Stratton farm; Ebenezer Davis near the farm of Lyman Stratton; James Crumbie, from Andover, at West Rindge; Samuel Walker, from Weston, upon the farm now of William S. Brooks, which he purchased of William Spaulding, after he had sold his former residence to Philip Thomas; Barnabas Cary, from Attleborough, in the east part of the town; Daniel Gragg near Long Pond; Asa Brocklebank, from Rowley, in the east part of the town, and subsequently on the farm previously occupied by Henry Godding; Paul Fitch, from Ashby, was proprietor of the mill at Converseville; and Ebenezer Lock, from Ervingshire, near Orange, Mass., was the village blacksmith. There were also Moses Whitney, Ezekiel Learned, Obadiah Marsh, and Jeremiah Russell from New Salem; Nehemiah Porter from Weymouth; Thomas Hutchinson from Ashby; Ebenezer Shaw from Abington; John Gray from Wilton, N. H.; Solomon Whitney, Richard, and William Davis from Lincoln; Joseph Wilson from Petersham; and Silas Whitney from Winchendon. Other families removed to this town during this period, and not a few of the sons of the earlier settlers were now married, and occupied houses, which they had erected upon their clearings. With this numerous accession to the population of the town came three physicians, Drs. Morse, Townsend, and Palmer, who will be noticed in another chapter. Many facts contained in this chapter will be repeated elsewhere; but it has been deemed proper to present this view of the population as it existed at the commencement of the Revolution, since many of these names will frequently appear in the record of that period.
TO The Selectmen of Rindge:
In order to carry the under written resolve of the Honorable Continental Congress into execution, you are requested to desire all males above twenty one years of age (Lunaticks, Idiots and Negroes excepted) to sign the Declaration on this paper; and when so done to make return hereof together with the name or names of all who shall refuse to sign the same to the General Assembly or Committee of safety of this Colony.
- In Congress, march 14, 1776.
Resolved That it be recommended to the several Assemblies, Conventions and Councils or Cimmittees of Safety of the United Colonies immediately to cause all persons to be disarmed within their respective Colonies who are notoriously disaffected to the cause of America, or who have not associated or refuse to associate, to defend by arms the United Colonies against the hostile attempts of the British Fleets and Armies.
- Extract from the minutes.
- CHARLES THOMPSON, Sec ry.
- Extract from the minutes.
In consequence of the above Resolution of the hon. Continental Congress, and to show our determination in joining our American Brethren in defending the lives, liberties and property of the inhabitants of the United Colonies, we the subscribers do hereby solemnly engage and promise that we will to the utmost of our power at the risqué of our lives and fortunes, with Arms oppose the Hostile proceedings of the British Fleets and Armies against the United American Colonies: --
|Abraham Wetherbee||John Page|
|Jeremiah Towne||John Townsend|
|William Carlton||Ebenezer Locke|
|Nehemiah Towne||Jeremiah Chapman|
|Benjamin Bancroft||Nathaniel Russell|
|Enoch Hale||John Simonds|
|Seth Dean||Amasa Turner|
|Edward Jewett||Nathan Hubbard|
|Jonathan Sherwin||Abel Stone|
|Wm Russell||John Whitaker|
|Jacob Hobbs||James Wood|
|John dean||Ebenezer Chaplin|
|Salmon Stone||James Cutter|
|John Handsome||John Emery|
|James Crumbie||Solomon Rand|
|Samuel Tarbell||Joseph Stanley|
|Nathaniel Page||Jonathan Sawtell|
|Solomon Cutler||John Sherwin|
|John Demary||Paul Fitch|
|John Hannaford||James Philbrick|
|John Wetherbee||Samuel Sherwin|
|Ebenezer Davis||Richard Kimball|
|Daniel Rand||Benj. Peirce|
|Jeremiah Russell||Samuel Whiting|
|Joshua Webster||Oliver Stevens|
|Benjamin Carlton||Isaac Wood|
|Samuel Stanley||Joseph Platts|
|Henry Godding||Zebulon Convers|
|Joel Russell, Junr.||Simon Davis|
|Daniel Davis||Jonathan Putnam|
|Jonathan Ingalls||Benjamin Lovering|
|Caleb Winn||Ebenezer Shaw|
|Samuel Walker||Abel Platts|
|Ezekiel Learned||Benjamin Gould|
|Daniel Russell||Elisha Perkins|
|Jeremiah Norcross||Page Norcross|
|David Hale||Aaron Esty|
|Richard Tompson||Richard Kimball, Jr.|
|Amos Davis||Stephen Jewett|
|George Lake||Israel Adams, Jr.|
|James Carlton||Nathaniel Thomas|
|Jeduthan Stanley||Jonathan Ball|
|Nathaniel Ingalls||Nehemiah Bowers|
|Samuel Russell||Francis Towne|
|William Davis||Moses Hale|
|James Streeter||Richard Davis|
|Samuel Paige, Jr.||Deliverance Wilson|
|Jacob Gould||Elijah Rice|
|Caleb Huston||John Gray|
|David Robbins||Oliver Gould|
|John Thomson||Ichabod Thomson|
|Eleazer Coffeen||Jepthah Richardson|
|Benjamin Newman||Barnabas Cary|
|Nehemiah Porter||John Lovejoy, Jr.|
|Reuben Page||John Buswell|
|John Lovejoy||Abel Platts, Jr.|
|Solomon Whitney||Timothy Wood|
|William Robbins||Simon Davis, Jr.|
|Samuel Page||Abel Perkins|
|John Eills||Ezekiel Rand|
|Eliakim Darling||Jonathan Towne|
|Jehosaphat Grout||Israel Adams|
|Othniel Thomas||Jabez Norcross|
|Daniel Lake||Joel Russell|
|Jonathan Towne, Jr.||Jonathan Parker, Jr.|
|John Fitch||Thomas Hutchinson|
|Randall Davis||Daniel Grag|
|Joshua Tyler||Samuel Parker|
|Benjamin Moore||Ezekiel Jewett|
|Daniel Adams||Henry Smith|
|David Adams||Levi Mansfield|
|Samuel Adams||Asa Tyler|
|Jonathan Parker||Samuel Adams|
|Simeon Ingalls||Abijah Haskell|
COLONY OF NEW HAMPSHIRE
Rindge, June 1, 1776.
In obedience to the within request, we have desired all mails (sic) in this town to sign the written Declaration (except those are excepted) and they have all signed.
EDWARD JEWETT, Selectmen JONATHAN SHERWIN, of ABEL STONE, Rindge.
To the General Assembly
or the Hon. Committee of Safety
for the Colony of New Hampshire.
The paper is one of uncommon interest. besides preserving the names of many residents of the town, it makes known that there were no disloyal or timid men who failed to respond to the test of their patriotism. The proud fact is here recorded they have all signed, and no comment can render more intelligible this expression of the sentiment of the town on the vital issues of the time .
At this time the crown of the hill where the meeting-house stands was carted into a basin between the eminence and the residence of George A. Whitney, Esq., and the bank wall east of the edifice was built.
The only persons living who became members at the time the society was constituted are Joseph Page, Luke Rugg, and Lovell Whitney, of Rindge, Hon. Marshall P. Wilder, of Boston, and Col. Ezekiel Jewett, of Lockport, New York. The town being no longer a parish, still nominally owned the meeting-house which was occupied by the society recently formed. The Methodists, at a town meeting held in 1826, made a request that the meeting-house be at their disposal a part of the time in proportion to their interest, as citizens in the same. Their request was answered by a report of committee, to whom their petition had been referred, that it was the intention of the town when the meeting-house was built, and the expectation of the individuals who purchased the pews therein, that it should be used by that denomination of Christians only which then composed almost exclusively the inhabitants of the town. It was also answered, and more convincingly, that the town head been at small expense in building the house, since the moneys received from the sale of the pews had been nearly or quite sufficient to meet the expense. And in remuneration for its agency in building, the town had enjoyed the privilege of holding town-meetings and transacting other public business in the house, and in this manner had been satisfactorily compensated for all it had done: and, finally, that it would be an act of injustice to the owners of the pews to bar them the free use, or grant others the use, of the same. In connection with this position some important concessions were made. In the further language of the report a desire was expressed that a liberal and conciliatory course should be pursued by the town. It was then agreed that persons belonging to other denominations should be excused from the expense of keeping the house in repair, and all other expense, except sweeping the meeting-house immediately after town-meetings. This arrangement appears to have been accepted as final. If the town had been more equally divided, the question might have been the occasion of considerable strife. The freedom which was secured from future expense of repairing the house may have been the main result which the Methodist society had in view, since at this time they had a meeting-house of their own. The animus of their request is not otherwise easily explained. the prevailing denomination, having thus retained possession of the meeting-house, were not generous in requiring their guests, on town-meeting days, to sweep out their proportion of the dust. It was a sad breach of the laws of hospitality. the issue, however, was between the town and the petitioners, and not between the two religious societies; and while it was the town that determined the result, the Congregational society was a controlling element in this action, and must be held responsible for the vote of the town. The subject was never revived, and several years later when, with certain reservations, the meeting-house was more formally ceded to the Congregational society, it was done with little, if any, earnest opposition. During eighteen years after the town ceased to constitute an active parish, the entire meeting-house was under its control. It gave permission to introduce a stove; it voted repairs; it ordered the ringing of the bell, but justly excused all persons belonging to other denominations from paying their proportion of the taxes assessed for these purposes. This condition of affairs could not long continue. One corporation was ordering and conducting the prudential affairs, while persons mainly belonging to another were taxed to pay the cost.
Several years later a stranger came, and preached with much earnestness and simplicity. In an unusual degree he won the attention of all his hearers. He had then but just begun his useful mission. Uneducated, he called upon one of his congregation to read the hymn, but in his discourse he asked no assistance. In later years, Father Taylor has often preached to larger congregations, and has won the esteem and gratitude of a multitude of men. For many years, the place of meeting on the Sabbath was in some dwelling or school-house, and generally in the northwest part of the town. In 1824 their first meeting-house was erected. The site was purchased of Moses Garfield, and was situated in the northwest corner of the town, nearly opposite the school-house, and in lot twenty or twenty-one in the tenth range. The conveyance was made in Zimri Whitney, Elijah P. Smith, Charles Mavery, Isaac Colburn, and Nathan Upton, trustees, and was dated March 16, 1824.
The house was built during the summer and autumn of 1835; the frame was raised on the ninth of September. the exact date of the dedication has not been ascertained, but David Poland, Joseph Robbins, and Edward Loud, were paid November 6, 1835, for their services in appraising slips in the Methodist house in Rindge ; from which it may be inferred the house at this date was substantially finished. The expense of the building when fully completed was $1907.53. The carpenters were Abel Marshall and Porter Hartwell, of Winchendon, and the stone work was done by John E. Lake and William Cutler, of this town. The house has been well preserved by paint and general repairs, the most thorough renovation occurring in 1867, under the direction of a committee, consisting of Oliver Hale, Z. F. Whitney, John Smith, Ezra Page, and H. G. Rice. The parsonage was purchased in 1840, and, as far as known, it has been occupied by the pastor in charge, without interruption, to the present time. The house was repaired in 1858, at an expense of about $325.
At the time the society was formed and the new meeting-house was built, the church belonged to the Peterborough and Rindge circuit, and the records, for this period, are preserved by the officers of the Methodist Church in Peterborough. At a meeting held in this circuit, December 20, 1834, John P. Symonds, John Whitney, Richard Kimball, Ebenezer Kimball, and Jonas Munroe, were chosen trustees, and John P. Symonds, Joel Raymond, and Jonas Munroe, a committee, to build a meeting-house in Rindge. for several years Richard Kimball was voted a license to preach. The renewal of the license appears upon the records under several dates.
The First District comprised the central village, and extended from the Common a mile or more, in all directions. On the Jaffrey road was included, as at present, the farms now owned by Deacon Norcross and C. E. Stickney; on the north it included the Mulliken place, near the residence of M. W. Hale, and the bounds in this direction remain unchanged to the present time; towards the east were included all the residences at the Corner, the farms of David and John Barker, now owned by Deacon Bancroft and Stephen hale, and extended on the old turnpike to near the present Corner school-house; on the south it included the farms now of Martin L. Goddard, of Henry E. Burritt, and of Thomas and Charles G. Buswell; and on the west the Moors farm, the Stratton farm, and considerable territory at present in the district. The present school-house was built, at this time, on land borrowed of the town for that purpose for the term of nine hundred and ninety-nine years, and bids fair to survive the lease. The first school-house in this district was also on the Common, and was situated west of the meeting-house, not far from the residence of A. S. Coffin, Esq. When the present house was built it was sold, and still forms a part of the dwelling-house of Lovell Whitney.
In many instances the committee of supervision has been appointed by the selectmen instead of being elected by the town. For several years the record of appointment has not been discovered. The following list presents the date of the first election, and, as far as has been ascertained, gives the number of years each individual named has served upon the school committee: Rev. Seth Payson, 1810, (2); Josiah Wilder, 1810, (3); Thomas Ingalls, 1810, (7); Simon Davis, 1811, (7); William Sherwin, 1811, (5); Samuel L. Wilder, 1811, (5); Gates Rand, 1812, (4); Amos Keyes, 1813, (5); Rev. a. W. Burnham, 1827, and almost continuously until 1857; Benjamin Ward, Esq., 1827, (1); Jason B. Perry, 1827, (6 or more); Dr. A. d. Shurtleff, 1829, (2); S. B. Sherwin, 1829, (9); Dr. Nathaniel Kingsbury, 1833, (2); Dr. E. D. Abell, 1843, (5 or more); Dr. Josiah Abbott, 1845, (10 or more); w. C. Brigham, 1847, (6 or more); David Stowe, 1854, (6 or more); Rev. A. m. Osgood, 1853, (1); Rev. Silas Cummings, 1857, (1); Rev. C. H. Chase, 1858, (1); George W. Todd, Jr., 1858, (1); James B. Perry, 1862, (1); Amos J. Blake, 1862, (2); Ezra S. Stearns, 1863, (2); George A. Whitney, 1864, (1). for several years, from 1865, only one person was chosen. Ezra S. Stearns, 1865, (1); Rev. Henry Chandler, 1866, (2); George A. Whitney, 1868, (2); W. C. Brigham, 1870, (1); Rev. A. L. Kendall, 1871, (1); A. S. Coffin, 1872, (1). Since 1872, a board of education has been elected for the tem of three years, and has included A. S. Coffin, (2), Rev. William H. Stuart, (1), Anson A. Platts, (1), Joseph F. Wetherbee, (1).
About ten years since, Charles A. and George A. Whitney bought the mill formerly owned by George E. Smith, at West Rindge, and commenced the manufacture of pails. Their mill has been burned, but was promptly rebuilt, upon an enlarged and commodious plan. A saw-mill has been added, and steam is employed to drive their machinery whenever the stream fails to afford sufficient power.
At present, in addition to a large amount of coarse lumber annually cut out at the several manufactories, the chief products of the mills are nest-boxes, by Joel Wellington, and R. Rams dell & Co.; the square box, by M. E. Converse; bobbins and spools, by A. S. Coffin; pails, by the Whitney Brothers; saw-horses, by A. S. Sawtell; a variety of woodenware, by E. S. Kimball, Elijah Bemis, and Warren Sawtell; and toys, ingeniously fashioned, by Otis P. Butler.
When the intelligence of the surrender of Fort Sumter electrified the entire people of the North, the inhabitants of the town of Rindge were prompt to respond; not in defiance, not with expressions of hatred, but with unequivocal evidence of an unalterable determination that such treason should be met with force and arms. On the evening of Monday, April 14, a spontaneous meeting of the citizens filled the Town Hall to overflowing, at an early hour. Stephen B. Sherwin, Esp., presided. Earnest speeches were made by the Chairman, Ebenezer Blake, Samuel Henry Stearns, George A. Whitney, Benjamin Hale, and others, each expressing the universal sentiment of the assembled citizens, that any attempt to sever the union of the States was treason, and that the attack which had been made upon one of the forts of the general Government was treason that should be met at the bayonet s point. It was the voice of all the speakers, that the people of this town would not fail to perform their duty in the hour of danger. To this sentiment there was a most hearty approval manifested by all present.
These volunteers joined the regiment at Keene, November 28, 1861. By anticipating others events, considerable repetition will be avoided by giving some account of their service in this connection.
Ambrose Butler. Promoted sergeant; wounded at Petersburg, June 17, 1864, and
discharged on account of disability, Dec. 17, 1864.
Henry E. Burritt. Deserted. Morton E. Converse. Promoted sergeant, June 1863, and detailed as commissary of the
Ambulance Corps. Mustered out at end of three years.
Cyrus J. Clapp. Killed at Bull Run, Va., Aug. 29, 1862. George M. Cram. Wounded at Bull Run, Aug. 29, 1862. Discharged on account of
wounds, Dec. 1, 1862. Gunshot wound in the face.
Augustus A. Chamberlain. Discharged for disability, June 18, 1862. Henry H. Davis. Discharged for disability, April 1, 1863. John A. Durant. Discharged for disability, April 1, 1863. Reenlisted into Veteran
Reserve Corps, Jan. 1, 1864.
Christopher C. Demary. Received a gunshot wound in the hand, at Fredericksburg, VA., Dec.
13, 1862. Discharged on account of wounds, March 17, 1863.
James Fitz. Reenlisted for the war, Dec. 30, 1863. Mustered out with the
regiment, July 17, 1865.
Charles F. Gibson. Mustered out at the end of three years. Paul Greenleaf. Accidentally wounded. discharged on account of wounds, Sept. 26, 1864. John Hecker. Mustered out at the end of three years. Erastus D. Hall. Discharged for disability, June 16, 1863. John W. Hastings. Killed at Bull Run, Va., Aug. 29, 1862. Joshua T. Hunt. Discharged for disability, Oct. 25, 1862. Jairus W. Hodge. Discharged for disability, Jan. 29, 1863. George S. Kimball. Died of disease at Annapolis, Md., Jan. 17, 1862. Howard Rand. Promoted to sergeant. Killed at Antietam, Md., Sept. 17, 1862. William H. Rugg. Died of disease at Annapolis, Md., Jan. 20, 1862. John I. Reynolds. Killed at Bull Run, Va., Aug. 29, 1862. James E. Richardson. Reenlisted, Jan. 4, 1864, for the war. Promoted to first sergeant.
Received a gunshot wound in the face at the battle of Spottsylvania
Court House, May 12, 1864. Transferred, on account of wounds, to
Veteran Reserve Corps, Jan. 20, 1865, and mustered out, July 15,
Justin S. Richardson. Reenlisted for the war, Jan. 4, 1864. Taken prisoner at Poplar Grove,
Va., Oct. 1, 1864. Soon after released, promoted to corporal, June 1,
1865; sergeant, July 1, 1865. Mustered out, July 17, 1865.
Henry H. Sherwin. Discharged for disability, April 10, 1862. Nathan Smith. Reenlisted Jan. 4, 1864. Taken prisoner at Poplar Grove, Va., Sept.
30, 1864, and died within the rebel lines, at Salisbury, N.C., Jan. 7, 1865.
Walter W. Smith. Reenlisted, Jan. 4, 1864. Taken prisoner, May 6, 1864. It is supposed
that he was exchanged, and that he was lost at sea, on the voyage to
the Union lines.
Willard Simonds. Deserted at Newbern, N.C., July 21, 1862. Edward P. Stratton. Died of disease at Annapolis, Md., Jan. 13, 1862. David Stowe. Discharged for disability, Sept. 27, 1862. Josep Shaffee. (Generally spelled Chaffee on Rindge records.) Reenlisted Jan. 4,
1864. Promoted to corporal. Killed near Petersburg, Va., July 21,
Thomas R. Todd. Reenlisted Jan. 4, 1864. died of wounds received near Bethesda
Church, Va., June 3, 1864.
George A. Whitney. Received a gunshot wound in the hip, at Bull Run, Va., Aug. 29, 1862.
Discharged on account of wounds, Oct. 31, 1862.
Thomas S. Whitney. Wounded May 6, 1864. Mustered out at end of three years. William L. Whitney. Discharged for disability, Dec. 26, 1862. Leonard P. Wellington. Discharged for disability, Feb. 23, 1863.
Two others were members of Company E, in the same regiment: Almon F. Nutting was wounded at Bull Run, Virginia, August 29, 1862, and discharged on account of the wounds received January 21, 1863; and James W. Russell, who reenlisted for the war, February 11, 1864, and was mustered out with his regiment July 17, 1865.
Not a few of the young men of this town were absent at the time the first calls for soldiers were issued. Without returning to their homes, in many instances they promptly enlisted into the service from the place of their temporary abode. The information has not been secured to insure a complete list, or to furnish particulars, of the service performed. Of these, George W. Bradish and Amos S. Metcalf were killed; Jonas W. Sawtell, William A. Withington, and Daniel W. Allen died of disease; and Charles I. Chadwick, Amaziah Sawtell, George h. Sherwin, Daniel H. A. Lovejoy, Hubbard M. Lovejoy, Ivers E. Pollard, Osborne A. Whitney, John H. Moors, Alvin Gardner, Mortimer M. Stowe, and John H. Harwood, were also in the service. From the first, the town was prompt in making liberal appropriations for bounties, and for the relief of families. The people at no time grumbled over the sacrifice which was made, and all were united in an earnest effort that men and means might not be withheld, and that the war be prosecuted to a successful issue. The war committee, chosen in May, 1861, consisted of Jason B. Perry, Reuben Ramsdell, Alison Lake, John P. Symonds, and James B. Robbins. They paid to the families of volunteers above four thousand dollars, and the sum of six hundred dollars to several persons discharged from the service on account of disability. In the end, the State reimbursed the town for a considerable portion of this amount but the system was inaugurated, and a large sum was paid, before the State made any proposition to assume the payments made by the town. After two years of service, Mr. Ramsdell resigned; Mr. Symonds died in December, 1863, and Mr. Lake in November, 1864. The final report of the committee was made to the town, by Col. Perry and Mr. Robbins, in March, 1866.
The town paid more than $30,000 for bounties, beside the increased incidental expenses of the period, and upwards of $1,000, disbursed by the war committee, which was not assumed by the State. The selectmen, during this important period in the town s history, were:--
|Martin L. Goddard, 61.||Jason B. Perry, 63, 64, 65.|
|Benjamin Hale, 61, 62.||Joseph S. Wetherbee, 63, 64.|
|Zachariah F. Whitney, 61, 62, 63.||Ezekiel Cudworth, 64, 65.|
|Rodney A. Hubbard, 62.||Josiah Stratton, 65.|
Dr. Isaiah Whitney, son of Isaiah Whitney, was born in Harvard, Massachusetts, December 13, 1765. He studied medicine with Dr. Charles Whitman, of Stow, Massachusetts, whose daughter he married. In 1790, he removed to Rindge, and resided for several years in a house which stood upon the site of the residence of A. A. Fowle. A few years later he removed to the house, now of D. S. Walker, and there resided until his death, November 30, 1839. Dr. Whitney, as a citizen, was much respected, and was regarded as a skillful and conscientious physician. During the later years of a long and useful life he was partially incapacitated by deafness, and retired from active practice.
Moses Whitney was in trade in this town during the year 1772. As will appear, he had an extensive trade. He may have been a better salesman than collector, or his customers may have had more inclination to buy than ability to pay. In either event, he was bankrupt at the close of the year. It is probable that he soon removed, as his name is not subsequently found upon the records. His accounts were left with Nathaniel Russell, Esq., for settlement. A well-filled journal was left in his possession, which is carefully preserved by a grandson, Mr. Henry Russell, of this town, who properly regards it a valuable fragment of the history of the town. In these mercantile transactions of a single year, an account was kept with above one hundred residents of Rindge, twenty-five of Jaffrey, and several of Peterborough, Winchendon, and Ashburnham. These ancient accounts, besides affording much valuable information of the names of the residents of the town, are a most truthful history of the wants and customs of the times. They include a much greater variety of articles than are generally admitted in approved homilies of the economy and plain-living of our fathers. After the aristocracy are distinguished from their neighbors by a more frequent charge for West India rum, instead of the cheaper new England distillation, and all the accounts are thus reduced one-half, many articles of finery will next attract attention; gilt buttons, sleeve buttons, gilt beads, waxed beads, glass beads, crewel, lace, taffeta, silk ferret, and satin ribbon, are named about as often as the more substantial goods sold under the name of tickle burg, baize, buckram, ratteen, cotton, and linen checks, shalloon, and Barcelona; while pomatum, moose-skin breeches, double-twist gimlets, striped Hollands, snuff-boxes, cat-gut horsewhips, iron hand-saws, tow-cloth, shoe-buckles, and curling-irons, form a most bewildering variety of articles of luxury and of utility. A portion of the charges contained in one account selected at random will present considerable information of the prices of that period.
|1 lb. chocolate, 1s., 4d., 15 lbs. fish, 3s. 4d.,||4||8|
|1 Gal. molasses delivered to his son,||2||2|
|1 " rum, .................................||2||8|
|1 pr. moose-skin breeches, ...........||1||5||4|
|1-4 lb. powder, 6d., 1 lb. shot, 6d., ...||1||0|
|1 qt. brandy, 2s., 1-2 doz. cups and saucers, 7d., ..||9||0|
|15 panes of glass, 6 by 8, at 3d., .......||3||9|
|5 yds. serge at 5s. 4d., ......................||1||6||8|
|2 1-2 dox. buttons, 2s. 6d., hank twist 8d., needles, 1dl, .||3||3|
|6 pump nails, ...............................||4|
|2 1-4 lbs. log wood, 7d., 1 lb. red wood, 3d.,||10|
|1 Bul Salt, 4s. 9d., 5 lbs. sugar, 3s., .||7||9|
|1 Double twist Gimlet, 4d., 1 Iron Hand saw, 4s. 8d., .||5||0|
|1-4 yd. Buckram, 5d., 1 yd. Ticklingburg, 1s. 4d., ..||1||9|
|1 pr. worsted Hose, ......................||4||4|
|1 Blew and White Tea pott, .........||1||0|
|1 lb. butter, 6d., 1 lb. beeswax, 1s. 2d.,||1||8|
|1 Bu. wheat, 6s., 1 Bu. Corn, 3s. 4d., ..||9||4|
|1 yd. shalloon, 2s., 1 yd. quality, 2d., ..||2||2|
|2 yds. Ell wide Persian, at 8s. 8d., ...||17||4|
Capt. Moses Todd was the first postmaster. The office was established and his appointment made April 26, 1815. The post-office was in the hotel which stood upon the site of the Beaman house, now of Asia Jones. Capt. Todd was succeeded by Noah R. Cook, Esq., April 13, 1819. Mr. Cook, at this time, was engaged in the practice of law, and boarded with Capt. Joel Raymond. he carried the mail in his pockets, and whenever an inquiring citizen found him he also found the post-office, and received him mail. This arrangement possessed some conveniences, and if his pockets were numbered, and a particular one assigned to each citizen, after the manner of the boxes for the delivery of the mail at the present time, it can be presumed that this method of distribution was received with great satisfaction.
September 4, 1821, Marshall P. Wilder was appointed successor of Mr. Cook, and the post-office had a fixed location in the Wilder store. When Col. Wilder removed to Boston, he was succeeded by his father, Samuel L. Wilder, Esq., whose appointment was dated April 12, 1825. Mr. Wilder soon after retired from business, and Stephen B. Sherwin was appointed April 3, 1828.
The disciples of Andrew Jackson, proclaiming that to the victor belong the spoils, subsequently effected the removal of the office from its Whig quarters, and Dr. Isaiah Whitney was appointed April 15, 1830, and distributed the mails from his residence until his death, after which his daughter conducted the office nearly a year; but no successor was named until October 16, 1840, when Thomas Whitney received the appointment, and removed the post-office into the hotel.
The succeeding postmasters, date of appointment, and location of the post-office, have been as follows: Charles E. Plummer, May 22, 1843, hotel. Dr. E. Darwin Abell, March 24, 1849, Dr. Whitney house. Dr. D. Wayland Jones, August 23, 1852, Dr. Whitney house. Willard G. Jones, November 4, 1854, his residence. Levi Howe, April 13, 1861, Dr. Whitney house. Samuel W. Fletcher, March 18, 1869. Mr. Fletcher, the present incumbent, removed the office to the store in the hotel building, occupied at the time by Fletcher & Emory. The firm removed their business and the office to the Wilder store, in 1872.
CENTENNIAL CELEBRATION.--- The action of the town in its corporate capacity, in regard to the celebration of the on hundredth anniversary of its incorporation, was plain and direct, but the records preserve for future years only a faint indication of the manner in which the event was commemorated. At the annual town-meeting, in March of that year, it was unanimously voted that the completion of a century in the town s history be appropriately observed, and a committee, consisting of Ezra S. Stearns, Jason B. Perry, Zebulon Converse, George A. Whitney, Willard G. Jones, and James B. Robbins, were chosen, to make arrangements for the celebration. At a subsequent meeting, the sum of three hundred dollars was voted, and placed at the disposal of the committee. During the spring and summer, the committee held frequent sessions, in maturing measures which should lead to an appropriate and successful commemoration of the day. The town was incorporated February 11. The season of the year rendered it impracticable to observe the precise day on which the record of one hundred years was made complete. Wednesday, September 16, was selected as the day on which the exercises should occur. Hon. Marshall P. Wilder, of Boston, was invited to deliver the address. The invitation was reluctantly declined by Mr. Wilder, on account of other engagements, very much to the disappointment of all natives of Rindge, and of may others interested in the history of the town. The invitation was then cordially extended to Hon. Amasa Norcross, of Fitchburg, Massachusetts, which was accepted, and Samuel Burnham, of Boston, was invited to read a poem
With the morning came humid clouds and abundant tokens of rain. Despite these appearances, a large number of people composed of residents of the town, and many others from abroad, were assembled upon the Common at an early hour. a procession was formed under the direction of George A. Whitney, Esq., marshal of the day, which, after making the circuit of the village, was halted in front of the speaker s platform. Near the residence of William A. Sherwin, a floral arch, bearing appropriate devices, was warmly greeted by the moving throng. One feature of the procession sadly reminded the spectator of one of the great events of the century, in which the deeds of the sons of Rindge are read in the glowing record of unfailing patriotism. At the head of the procession, under command of Captain E. H. Converse, marched with measured step the veterans of the recent war, all that was left of them. This little bank, many of them bearing scars and other evidences of wounds received in battle, at once painfully proclaimed the carnage of war and the heroism of those sons of Rindge who proudly had helped make up the history of the expiring century.
|Date of Death||
||Years of Age.|
|May 4, 1830||Martha (Whitney) Davis, wife of Eben'r Davis||84|
|Date of Death||
||Years of Age.|
|Oct. 15, 1873||John Whitney||87|
Since the adoption of the State Constitution, twenty-seven persons have represented the town in the Legislature. No one appears to have been chosen for the years 1784 and 1786, and in 1788 the town voted not to send. Edward Jewett (1), 1785; Othniel Thomas (1), 1787; Daniel Rand (10), 1789-1796, 1798, 1801; William Gardner (3), 1797, 1799, 1800; Josiah Wilder (9), 1802-1810; William Sherwin (1(, 1811; Wm. Kimball (3), 1812-1814; Samuel L. Wilder (13), 1815- 1823, 1828-1829, 1838, 1889; Ezra Thomas (2), 1824, 1825; Amos Keyes (8), 1826, 1827, 1830, 1831, 1834-1837; Thomas Ingalls (2), 1832, 1833; Joshua Converse (2), 1840, 1841; Levi Howe (4), 1842, 1843, 1848, 1849; Stephen B. Sherwin (3), 1844, 1845, 1846; Stephen Jewett (1), 1847; Samuel Stearns (2), 1850, 1851; Jason B. Perry (2), 1852, 1853; Amos W. Burnham (2), 1854, 1855; Cadford M. Dinsmore (1), 1856; George W. Todd, Jr. (2), 1857, 1858; David Stowe (1), 1859; Josiah Abbott (2), 1860, 1861; Zebulon Converse (2), 1862, 1863; Ezra S. Stearns (5), 1864, 1865, 1866, 1867, 1870; George A. Whitney (2), 1868, 1869; Omar D. Converse (2), 1871, 1872; Joel Wellington (2), 1873, 1874.
JUSTICES OF THE PEACE.
|1871.|| Moderator, Geo. A. Whitney. Clerk, Warren W. Emory.|
Selectmen, Orlando J. Raymond, Jas. B. Robbins, Stephen Hale.
|1872.|| Moderator, Geo. A. Whitney. Clerk, Warren W. Emory.|
Selectmen, James Robbins, Stephen Hale, Martin L. Goddard.
|1873.|| Moderator, Geo. A. Whitney. Clerk, Warren W. Emory.|
Selectmen, Stephen Hale, Martin L. Goddard, Daniel H. Sargent
JUSTICES OF THE PEACE.---There was a time when the cheeks of the child would glow with a reasonable pride in the contemplation of the fact that he was descended from a Justice of the Peace, or a Magistrate, as the officer was frequently styled. But in these latter days, and since in all country towns these officials have become as numerous as in Pemberton Square, Boston, the honor becomes of a less certain character. The first Justice of the Peace in this town was Enoch Hale, his commission being dated 1768, and issued in the name of King George the Third. The Provincial Congress, perhaps to make known that it was its policy to allow the people the most unqualified liberty, authorized the several towns to nominate some person whom they desired to have appointed. The vote of the town in 1777, Chose Daniel Lake a Justice of the Peace, indicates that he was thus recommended for appointment, and not chosen, as in the words of the record. Mr. Lake, however, was soon after appointed in accordance with this expression of the people. soon after, Edward Jewett and Daniel Rand were commissioned, and in the present century the appointments have been much more numerous. The following list is believed to contain all who have resided in Rindge any considerable time after the receipt of their commissions:
Thomas Jewett, Isaiah Whitney, Samuel L. Wilder, Ezra Thomas, Joshua Converse, Amos Keyes, John P. Symonds, Stephen B. Sherwin, Levi Howe, Thomas Ingalls, Jason B. Perry, Zubulon Converse, Arba S. Coffin, George W. Stearns, Oration P. Allen, Ebenezer Blake, Josiah Abbott, James B. Robbins, Harrison G. Rice, Ezra S. Stearns, Alison Lake, Elijah Bemis, George A. Whitney, Martin L. Goddard, Samuel W. Fletcher, Willard G. Jones, Joel Wellington, Henry A. Russell, Warren W. Emory.
||ASA BREWER, son of Asa, md. Rachel Knights, of Sudbury, Mass., and removed to Rindge 1837. He resided upon the Capt. Walker farm, now of Z. F. Whitney, until 1853, when he removed to Fitzwilliam, where he d. about 1866. ...|
46 | v. Roxanna [Chaplin], b. Oct. 18, 1812; md. Nov. 27, 1833, Ephraim Whitney Weston, son of Dea. Stephen and Susan (Whitney) Weston, of Winchendon. He d. Oct. 29, 1854. ...
||EBENEZER COLBURN, md. ... Hannah Jewett ....|
|. . .|
|25||XIV.||Norris, ... md. Martha L. Carter, ....|
|. . .|
|27||2.||Martha A., -----; md. George A. Whitney, q.v.|
|. . .|
|29||XV.||Clarissa, ... md. ... Ebenezer Carter, ....|
|30||4.||Henrietta C., b. Oct. 9, 1840; m. ----- Whitney; md. (2d) Bethnel Ellis, Esq., of Winchendon.|
||CHRISTOPHER C. CONVERSE md. ... Susan B. Daniels ....|
|. . .|
|57||II.||Susan R., b. June 6, 1846; md. Sept. 1, 1869, George A. Whitney, Esq., son of John Whitney, q.v.|
7 | RACHEL CUTTER, dau. of Nathan and Hannah Cutter, of New Ipswich, and granddau. of John and Rachel (Powers) Cutter, md. Andrew Kimball, son of Lieut. Richard, q.v.; and her sister Rhoda md. in Rindge, June 9, 1793, Amos Whitney.
||WILLIAM DAVIS came from Lincoln in 1773. He md. in Rindge, May 10, 1774, Martha Whitney, dau. of Solomon and Martha (Fletcher) Whitney, of Rindge, q.v. He served one enlistment in the army, and was at the battle of Bennington. In 1780 he removed to Peterborough Slip (Sharon), but returned in one or two years to Rindge.|
|16||I.||Susannah, b. May 7, 1775.|
|17||II.||Martha, b. Oct. 24, 1777.|
|18||III.||Lucy, b. Dec. 27, 1778.|
|19||IV.||Lydia, b. June 2, 1781; md. Feb. 22, 1808, Stephen Davis, of Enosburg, Vt.|
|20||V.||Bathsheba, b. Oct. 2, 1783; d. Sept. 2, 1787.|
|21||VI.||Solomon Whitney, b. May 15, 1785.|
|22||VII.||Israel, b. Jan. 17, 1788.|
|23||VIII.||Bathsheba, b. May 1, 1793.|
|24||IX.||Timothy, b. March 23, 1795.|
|25||RICHARD DAVIS, also from Lincoln, was here in 1773. He md. in Lincoln, Nov. 19, 1771, Lois Whitney, b. in Weston, 1733. She was a sister of Martha Whitney, wife of William Davis, and perhaps William and Richard Davis were brothers. The two youngest children were b. in Rindge, but the family probably removed previous to 1780.|
|26||I.||Silas, b. Aug. 1, 1772, in Weston.|
|27||II.||Solomon, b. April 24, 1774.|
|28||III.||Lois, b. Nov. 8, 1775.|
|. . .|
|49||LIEUT. EBENEZER DAVIS, a son of Simon Davis, was from Littleton, Mass. Resided in Rindge a few years previous to his marriage; md. Nov. 26, 1777, Maria Whitney, of Littleton. His far was east of and adjacent to the farm of Ebenezer Stratton, senior. He was styled Lieutenant from and after 1778, and was respected for his ability and integrity. He d. Dec. 10, 1831, aged 88; his wife d. May 4, 1830, aged 84.|
|50||I.||Simon, b. Nov. 12, 1778; d. unmd. July 1, 1841. He was a school-teacher of good repute. [Facsimile of his signature.]|
|51||II.||Ebenezer, b. May 10, 1780; d. Feb. 17, 1808.|
|52||III.||Sarah, b. Nov. 1, 1781; md. in Rindge, May 4, 1808, Rufus Bullock, Esq., of Royalston, Mass. Ex-Gov. A. H. Bullock, of Massachusetts, is a son of this marriage.|
|53||IV.||Joseph, b. May 13, 1784; d. unmd. April 27, 1849.|
|54||V.||Polly, b. July 14, 1790; d. unmd. Aug. 11, 1869.|
||EZEKIEL DEMARY, md. . . . Maria Parker . . . .|
|. . .|
|22||IV.||Fanny, b. Oct. 25, 1794; md. Feb. 18, 1822, Elias Whitney.|
||JAMES LOCKE DEMARY, md. . . . Olive Page . . . .|
|. . .|
|38||XI.||Hannah E., b. Feb. 13, 1844; md. Rufus Whitney, of Fitzwilliam.|
||NATHAN DERBY ... md. Susan Thompson ....|
|. . .|
|5||IV.||Deliverance, md. Betsey Whitney, and resided in Groton and in Harvard, MAss. He d. in the latter town 1837.|
|. . .|
|7||VI.||Ephraim, md. Betsey Whitney; has resided in Westmoreland; is now in Nashua, N.Y. His wife d. 1861.|
|. . .|
|13||IX.||Josiah, md. Betsey Whitney, and resides in Ashburnham.|
|14||X.||Emily, md. Dwell Whitney, of Ashburnham. She d. 1868, and he md. (2d) Rebecca (Gilson) Crouch, widow of Joel Crouch.|
||SILAS DUTTON md. in Lunenburg, May 3, 1763, Sarah Whitney, and removed the following year to this town. After 1771 this family disappears from the records. Their children, as far as known, were:|
|2||I.||Silas, b. in Lunenburg May, 1764.|
|3||II.||Polly, bap. in Rindge Aug. 31, 1766.|
|4||III.||Oliver, bap. in Rindge April 26, 1767.|
|5||IV.||Jane, bap. in Rindge Nov. 10, 1771.|
|6||V.||Zacariah, bap. in Rindge Nov. 10, 1771.|
||JONAS FAULKNER, ... md. Eunice Stone ....|
|2||I.||Sophia, b. Feb. 28, 1794; md. John Whitney, q.v.|
||PETER HOWE, parentage unknown, with wife Elizabeth, removed to the north-west part of this town in 1813. She d. Sept. 13, 1828; and he md. (2d) 1829, Sarah Whitney, of Lunenburg, Mass., dau. of John and Priscilla (Battles) Whitney, and soon after removed to Westfield, Mass. All the children are not named below.|
||HARRY HUBBARD md. June 8, 1823, Clarissa Fay; md. (2d) Dec. 6, 1832, Dorcas Whitney, dau. of Dr. Isaiah Whitney, q.v. He d. in Shrewsbury, Mass. His widow resides with his eldest son. Children by first wife:--|
|47||I.||Henry B., b. Aug. 8, 1825. Conducts an extensive boot manufactory in Worcester, Mass. Has a family.|
|48||II.||Appleton B., b. May 29, 1829; md. Betsey Wright. He d. Sept. 29, 1862.|
||DEXTER JEWELL, ... md. ... Mary Mower ....|
|. . .|
|4||III.||Sarah Emeline, b. Dec. 27, 1840; md. July 17, 1866, Wilbur Fiske Whitney, son of John Whitney, of Ashburnham; a chair manufacturer.|
||AQUILLA KIMBALL ....|
|35||I.||Isaac, ... md. ... Abigail Stevens. ...|
|. . .|
|37||2.||Archus Stevens, b. April 8, 1827; md. Nov. 24, 1853, Ellen Whitney, dau. of Webster and Eliza (Whitman) Whitney, of Winchendon, where he resides. He is an auctioneer.|
||LEMUEL PAGE, ... md. ... Sarah Demary ....|
|66||I.||Lemuel, b. Jan. 20, 1780; md. Jan. 27, 1812, Clarissa Whitney, dau. of Dr. Isaiah Whitney, q.v. He was a captain in the war of 1812, and a colonel of militia, and resided in Burlington, Vt., where he d. May 8, 1825, and his widow md. Joseph Jones, Esq., of Troy, N.H.; she d. Feb. 16, 1844. Four of their seven children d. in infancy. (1) Sarah Jane, b. Nov. 28, 1815; md. John Duncklee, of Philadelphia, Pa.; (2) Harriet F., b. 1817; md. Leonard Johonnett, of Burlington; (3) Lemuel W., b. April 30, 1821; md., 1842, Susan Sanders, b. Feb. 18, 1820, dau. of John Sanders, now of Rindge; md. (2d), 1873, Carrie E. Hemenway. They reside in Burlington.|
||GATES RAND md. ... Caty Towne, ....|
|22||III.||Liberty, twin, b. Nov. 13, 1806; md. June 20, 1836, Abigail Whitney, who d. Oct. 4, 1840; and he md. (2d) Sept. 15, 1841, Azubah Whitney, her sister, dau. of Hananiah and Azubah Whitney, of Winchendon. Mr. Rand was selectman 1843, 1844, 1845, and 1846. In 1867 he removed to Madison, Wis., where he d. May 20, 1872.|
|23||1.||Marshall W., b. July 11, 1838; d. Jan. 12, 1839.|
|24||2.||Henry H., b. Sept. 14, 1840; md. Jan. 1, 1865, Harriet E. Lawrence, dau. of William and Lucinda (Lowell) Lawrence, q.v. They reside in Madison, Wis.|
||IV.||Addison [Rugg], b. March 23, 1823; md. Jan. 9, 1851, Eliza K. Whitney, dau. of Lovell Whitney, q.v.; resides in Ware, Mass. Their children are: Frank A., Addie E., Fred O., and Clara E.|
||SOLOMON SAWTELL, b. 1786; md. Nov. 12, 1812, Rebecca Dwinnell, who d. Aug. 12, 1818. He md. (2d) 1819 (pub. May 8) Nancy Whitney, of Marlboro, N.H. He was at Portsmouth in the War of 1812. He d. Dec. 13, 1861; she d. April 17, 1864, aged 67.|
|41||I.||Harriet, b. 1813; d. unmd., Aug. 27, 1832.|
|42||II.||Clarissa, b. 1814; md. William S. Rugg, q.v.|
|44||IV.||Solomon Nelson, b. 1817; enlisted from Harrisville, N.H., into the 6th N.H. Vols., and d. of wounds Sept. 27, 1864.|
|Children of second wife:--|
|47||VII.||John Leonard, md. Lucy Towne, of Marlboro.|
|48||VIII.||Jane L., resides, unmd., in Fitchburg, Mass.|
|49||IX.||Emily, md. Henry H. Platts, son of Harvey, q.v.|
|50||X.||Amaziah, md. Louisa Hardy.|
|51||XI.||Edwin, b. Aug. 25, 1838; md. Nov. 24, 1859, Anna L. Holbrook; resides in Brockton, Mass.|
|52||XII.||J. Warren, b. 1840; enlisted into a New York regiment; d. in the service July 9, 1864.|
||THOMAS SMITH, son of Joseph, md. ... Hepsibeth Piper, ....|
|. . .|
|42||V.||George E., b. July 3, 1819; md. Sept. 14, 1841, Eunice Whitney, dau. of John Whitney, q.v. He was proprietor of a mill in West Rindge several years. He now resides in Fitchburg, Mass. Their son, Darwin A., d. in the army (p. 325), and other childrend. in childhood or youth.|
|43||1.||George A., b. July 28, 1854.|
|44||VI.||Hepsibeth, b. Feb. 24, 1821; md. Zachariah F. Whitney, son of John Whitney, q.v.|
||REUBEN TARBELL, md. ... Beatrice Beard ...|
|. . .|
|17||VI.||Charles Duane, b. July 20, 1832; md. Nov. 18, 1856, Elmira Frances Whitney, dau. of Benjamin and Elmira (Stimpson) Whitney, of Marlboro, N.H. Resided in Marlboro, and later in Littleton, N.H.|
||CAPT. JOSHUA WALKER md. Mary Whitmore, .... He was a farmer and innholder, and resided upon the farm now of Z. F. Whitney.|
JOHN WHITNEY embarked at Ipswich, England, for America in April, 1635. He was then aged 35, his wife Ellen or Eleanor, 30, and sons, John, 11; Richard, 9; Nathaniel, 8; Thomas, 6; and Jonathan, 1 year. He settled in Watertown, where he was selectman several years between 1638 and 1655, and was Town Clerk 1655. He owned considerable land, and in his social position was highly respected. His wife d. May 11, 1659, and he md. (2d) Sept. 29, 1659, Judith Clement. He survivied his second wife, and d. June 1, 1673, aged 74. He was probably b. in April or May, 1599. His son John, b. in England, 1624, md. Ruth Reynolds, dau. of Robert Reynolds, of Boston, and resided in Watertown, and was selectman 1673, '74, '75, '76, '78, '79. He d. Oct. 12, 1692, leaving a comfortable estate. His fourth son and sixth child was Joseph Whitney, b. Jan. 15, 1651-2; md. Jan. 24, 1674-5, Martha Beach, dau. of Richard and Mary Beach, of Watertown. John Whitney, their son, was b. July 29, 1680; md. Feb. 22, 1703-4, Sarah Cutting, and settled in Weston. His son, Zachariah Whitney, b. Dec. 28, 1711, md. Sarah Boynton, and among their children was John Whitney, of Lunenburg, who md. Priscilla Battles; and among their children were Zimri and John, who will be mentioned hereafter.
Nathaniel Whitney, another son of John and Ruth (Reynolds) Whitney, and an elder brother of Joseph, was b. Feb. 1, 1646-7; md. March 12, 1673-4, Sarah Hagar. They resided in Watertown and in Weston. He d. Jan. 7, 1732; she d. May 7, 1746. Their eldest son, Nathaniel Whitney, b. March 5, 1675-6, md. Nov. 7, 1695, Mary Robinson. They resided in Weston, where he d. Sept. 23, 1730; she d. Dec. 31, 1740. Their son Solomon was an inhabitant of Rindge, and is again named.
||MOSES WHITNEY, the first of the name in Rindge, was a merchant a short time previous to the Revolution. He came from New Salem in June, 1772, and removed from the town in 1773, or early in 1774. (Vide Chap. XVII.) By wife Sarah he had three children, b. previous to 1772: Moses, Ephraim, and Salmon.|
|2||LEVI WHITNEY, parentage unknown, was b. in Harvard, Mass., June 23, 1751; md. Sept. 17, 1772, Sarah Lawrence, of Bolton. They came from Ashburnham to Rindge in 1780, or soon after; his wife d. Oct. 19, 1783, and he md. (2d) Dec. 25, 1783, Hepsibeth Fay, b. in Westboro Oct. 1, 1759. They removed to Marlboro, N.H., in 1785, where he d. in that or the following year. A few of the dates are a little crowded, but they are thus upon the records.|
|3||I.||Sarah, b. in Concord June 12, 1774.|
|4||II.||Lydia, b. in Westminster May 20, 1776.|
|5||III.||Levi, b. in Ashburnham May 12, 1778; d. Dec. 1, 1780.|
|6||IV.||John, b. in Ashburnham Aug. 26, 1780.|
|7||V.||Betsey, b. in Rindge April 5, 1783.|
|Children of second wife:--|
|8||VI.||Levi, b. in Rindge Sept. 28, 1784.|
|10||SOLOMON WHITNEY, son of Nathaniel and Mary (Robinson) Whitney, bap. June 17, 1711, then three years of age; md. March 5, 1731-2, Martha Fletcher, and removed from Lincoln to Rindge, 1773. No date of his death has been found. He was living in 1780,.|
|11||I.||Solomon, bap. Dec. 14, 1735; md. in Lincoln, June 14, 1761, Mary Fay.|
|12||II.||Sarah, bap. Aug. 28, 1737.|
|13||III.||Sarah, bap. Nov. 5, 1738.|
|14||IV.||Lois, bap. Jan. 1, 1743-4; md. Richard Davis, q.v. They came to Rindge 1773.|
|15||V.||Abigail, bap. March 1, 1740-1.|
|16||VI.||Martha, bap. May 14, 1754; md. William Davis, of Rindge, q.v.|
|17||SILAS WHITNEY came in 1773 from Winchendon, where he had resided about ten years. The family did not tarry long in Rindge. By wife Jane he had six children, b. 1752-1772: Love, Oliver, Bartholomew, Jane, Phebe, Samuel, and Mercy, b. in Rindge, 1773.|
|18||DAVID WHITNEY, prosperous farmer, resided upon the Bennett Hill, in the north-east part of the town, from about 1785 to 1800, when he removed to Bolton, Mass. Five children were b. in Rindge: Samuel, b. Dec. 7, 1788; Betsey, b. Jan. 3, 1791; Nancy, b. March 20, 1794; Sally, b. May 28, 1796; David, b. April 14, 1798.|
|19||DR. ISAIAH WHITNEY, son of Isaiah Whitney, was b. in Harvard, Mass., Dec. 13, 1765. He md., 1787, Dorcas Whitman, dau. of Dr. Charles Whitman, of Stow, Mass., and removed to Rindge in April, 1790 (vide p. 364). He d. Nov. 30, 1839. His widow was drowned near Burlington, Vt., by the upsetting of a coach in which she was journeying, and which fell in to a river near the highway, July 11, 1844.|
|20||I.||Clarissa, b. 1788; md. Lemuel Page, Jr., q.v.; md. (2d) Joseph Jones, Esq.|
|21||II.||Lovell, b. June 20, 1790; md. Feb. 7, 1819, Rebecca Witt, dau. of Capt. Thomas Witt, of Woodstock, VT; she d. May 18, 1862. He resides in Rindge Centre.|
|22||1.||Harriet J., b. Jan. 1, 1820; resides, unmd., with her father.|
|23||2.||William L., b. March 12, 1822; md. Sarah P. Whitney, dau. of John Whitney, q.v. They reside in West Rindge. Lizzie S., b. Jan. 19, 1850; Wayland J., b. Dec. 21, 1853; Emma H., b. Jan. 1, 1860; Ida S., b. Sept. 16, 1865.|
|24||3.||Eliza K., b. Jan. 31, 1829; md. Addison Rugg, son of Capt. Luke Rugg, q.v.|
|25||4.||Cornelia, b. Nov. 16, 1836; d. April 21, 1862.|
|26||III.||Charles Whitman, b. Nov. 15, 1791. He was educated under the tuition of Rev. Dr. Payson, and at the academy in New Ipswich, and studied medicine with this father, and with Dr. John Randall, of Boston. In 1818 he commenced the practice of his profession in Troy, N.H., where he continued in a successful practice, and in the unqualified esteem of his townsmen until his death, Oct. 31, 1861. He md. Nov. 10, 1818, Mary Griffin, dau. of Dea. Samuel Griffin, of Fitzwilliam.|
|27||1.||Samuel G., b. Sept. 20, 1819; md. May 24, 1842, Abigail N. Whittemore, b. May 29, 1820, dau. of Salmon and Lydia Whittemore, of Troy. He was a merchant in Troy several years, and now resides in Monticello, Iowa.|
|28||2.||Charles, b. July 27, 1824; d. Jan. 10, 1827.|
|29||3.||Henry N., b. Oct. 8, 1825; d. Feb. 17, 1827.|
|30||4.||Charles W., b. Nov. 26, 1827; md. Sept. 2, 1850, Frances Taylor, dau. of William and Mary Taylor, of Francestown, N.H. Mr. Whitney is a merchant in Troy, where he has been postmaster about fifteen years. He represented the town in the Legislature 1871 and 1872, and possesses the esteem and confidence of all who know him.|
|31||5.||Mary Jane, b. Aug. 13, 1830; md. Dec. 18, 1856, Dr. Samuel A. Richardson, b. Dec. 23, 1830, son of Dea. Abijah and Mary (Hayes) Richardson, of Dublin, N.H. Dr. Richardson is a skillful and popular physician in Marlboro, N.H. He was surgeon of the 13th N.H. Regiment.|
|32||IV.||Harry, b. Oct. 26, 1793; md. Aug. 30, 1821, Mary Goldin. They reside in Burlington, Vt.|
|33||1.||Mary Elizabeth, md., 1852, Miner Martin, and reside in California.|
|34||2.||Jane D., md., 1861, Noah Allern, of Burlington.|
|35||3.||George I., md., 1865, Emma E. Sweet. Live in Burlington.|
|36||4.||Charles H., md., 1868, Mary J. Kelly. Live in Burlington.|
|37||V.||Felicia, b. May 26, 1795; md. Samuel Nichols, of Burlington, Vt., She d. about 1869.|
|39||2.||Samuel. Resides in New Jersey.|
|40||VI.||. Isaiah, b. Jan. 25, 1799. He studied medicine with his father, and commenced practice in Marlboro, Mass., but soon removed to Provincetown, Mass., where after a successful career and a useful, active life, he d. Dec. 10, 1866. Dr. Whitney md. May 10, 1832, Henrietta A. Nickerson, dau. of Capt. Seth Nickerson. She d. Aug. 21, 1848; md. (2d) Sarah L. Small, who d. Feb. 10, 1851; md. (3d) Aug. 28, 1851, Mrs. Hannah (Freeman) Crosby, dau. of Joshua Freeman.|
|41||1.||Electa A., b. July 12, 1833; d. Aug. 1, 1861.|
|42||2.||Lauretta, b. April 1, 1835; d. Aug. 27, 1836.|
|43||3.||Henrietta, b. Oct. 9, 1838. Resides in Clinton, Mass.|
|44||4.||Felicia, b. May 19, 1841; d. Aug. 26, 1842.|
|45||5.||Isaiah, b. Aug. 30, 1843; resides in Boston.|
|46||6.||Charles H., b. Dec. 11, 1854.|
|47||VII.||Dorcas, twin, b. Jan. 25, 1799; md. Harry Hubbard, q.v.|
|48||VIII.||Stephen, b. Dec. 19, 1800; md. Lovilla Goldin, and removed to Burlington, Vt., where he d. 1868.|
|49||1.||Sarah, b. Sept. 30, 1834; md. ----- Wilson.|
|50||2.||Edward Payson, b. Oct. 20, 1837; d. Sept. 10, 1873.|
|51||3.||Helen, b. May 14, 1840; md. William Larryshare, of Burlington.|
|52||4.||Isaiah Whitman, b. Oct. 7, 1842; deceased.|
|53||5.||Harrison, b. Oct. 5, 1844; d. Sept. 9, 1865.|
|54||IX.||Sophronia, b. Aug. 18, 1803; md. Sept. 28, 1844, Joseph Jones, Esq., whose first wife was Clarissa, her eldest sister. They resided in Troy, N.H. She d. Jan. 10, 1872.|
|55||X.||Anna, b. Oct. 17, 1805; d. unmd., Feb. 19, 1838.|
|56||ZIMRI WHITNEY, son of John and Priscilla (Battles) Whitney, b. in Lunenburg May 14, 1776, md. May 28, 1801, Susanna Sanderson, b. May 15, 1782, dau. of Isaac and Elizabeth (Peabody) Sanderson. They resided in Rindge 1812 and 1813, removed to Vermont and again to Rindge, and remained 1827-32, when he removed to Jaffrey, and later returned to Peru, Vt., where he d. Aug. 24, 1862, aged 86; his widow d. about 1865.|
|57||I.||Isaac S., b. April 7, 1802; md., 1822, Maria Ovington. Eight children.|
|58||II.||Abraham, b. Jan. 19, 1804; md. Adaline Sawyer. Resided in Jaffrey, where he d., leaving two children, Feb. 22, 1872.|
|59||III.||Charles, b. March 2, 1806; md. Alaline Strong. They had ten children. He d. in Charlestown, Mass., Feb. 26, 1851.|
|60||IV.||Alvah, b. June 27, 1808; md. April 26, 1838, Caroline Geer; he d. in Cambridge, Mass., leaving three children, 1870.|
|61||V.||Susannah P., b. Aug. 22, 1810; md. Benjamin Penfield, of Gorham, Me. Seven children.|
|62||VI.||Hosea, b. in Rindge March 17, 1813; md., 1837, Charlotte Sawyer. They had four children. He d. in Charlestown, Mass., July 1, 1861.|
|63||VII.||Thomas P., b. in Jaffrey Aug. 29, 1816; md. April 26, 1838, Harriet A. Benjamin. Six children.|
|64||VIII.||George S., b. in Jaffrey April 17, 1819; md., 1844, Eveline Barnard. He d.. at Glen Falls, N.Y., Aug. 25, 1863.|
|65||IX.||John S., b. in Jaffrey, May 21, 1822; md., 1847, Valisa P. Johnson. Five children. Resides in Jaffrey.|
|66||X.||Richard B., b. in Jaffrey June 18, 1825.|
|67||JOHN WHITNEY, brother of Zimri, b. in Lunenburg July 2, 1788, md. Dec. 8, 1812, Sophia Faulkner, dau. of Jonas and Eunice (Stone) Faulkner. She d. April 16, 1858, leaving nine children; and he md. (2d) April 12, 1860, widow Fanny (Howe) Blodgett, dau. of Abijah and Margaret Howe. Removed to Peru, Vt., and also resided in Lunenburg, Mass., and in Rindge. He was an intelligent, liberal-minded citizen, and an exemplary Christian. He d. Oct. 15, 1873, aged 85.|
|68||I.||Sophia, b. Dec. 30, 1813; md. March 21, 1832, Brooks Wheeler, of Lincoln, Mass. She d. Oct. 23, 1841.|
|69||II.||Zachariah, b. April 15, 1861; md. May 13, 1841, Hepsibeth Smith, dau. of Thomas Smith, q.v. He removed to Rindge from Peru, Vt., 1856, and has since resided upon the farm previously occupied by Capt. Asa Brewer. He was selectman 1861, '62, '63.|
|70||1.||Osborne A., b. July 12, 1842; md. Jan. 12, 1870, Mary J. Brown, dau. of Robert Brown, of Glen William, Ont. Resides in Glen William.|
|71||2.||Thomas S., b. April 21, 1844; md. March 3, 1869, Abbie S. Everett, dau. of George C. and Fannie (Thompson) Everett, of Fitzwilliam. Resides in Rindge.|
|72||3.||Ellen S., b. Feb. 5, 1846; d. Sept. 2, 1852.|
|73||4.||Lauretta H., b. May 25, 1848; d. Sept. 2, 1852.|
|74||5.||John D., b. Aug. 17, 1850; md. Sept. 17, 1874, Alta Ashley, dau. of George L. and Sarah (Crapo) Ashley, of Rindge; now of Dartmouth, Mass.|
|75||6.||George A., b. March 10, 1854.|
|76||7.||Susan E., b. July 21, 1856; d. Jan. 8, 1863.|
|77||III.||Eunice, b. May 6, 1818; md. Sept. 14, 1841, George E. Smith, son of Thomas Smith, q.v.|
|78||IV.||John Osborn, b. Jan. 12, 1821; md. March 25, 1854, Abbie L. Lyon, b. June 4, 1838, dau. of Freeman and Miranda (Smith) Lyon, of Peru, Vt. He resides in Rindge; has been in California several years.|
|79||1.||Charles A., b. April 29, 1856.|
|80||2.||Eva S., b. June 11, 1858.|
|81||3.||Mary A., b. May 24, 1874.|
|82||V.||Ann, b. Aug. 21, 1823; md., 1840, Edmund Wheeler, brother of Brooks Wheeler, who md. her eldest sister. They resided in Quincy, Ill., where she d. Sept. 5, 1844.|
|83||VI.||Sarah, d. at about three years of age.|
|84||VII.||Sarah P., b. April 16, 1827; md. William L. Whitney, son of Lovell Whitney, q.v.|
|85||VIII.||Charles A., b. Feb. 16, 1830; md. April 29, 1857, Lydia M. Lyon, b. Sept. 11, 1835, a sister of the wife of his brother, John Osborn.|
|86||1.||Frank Lincoln, b. Sept. 15, 1860.|
|87||2.||Arthur Burnside, b. Nov. 4, 1863.|
|88||3.||Mary Isabelle, b. Feb. 14, 1866.|
|89||4.||Edith M., b. Feb. 15, 1870.|
|90||IX.||Susan E., b. Sept. 7, 1833; md. April 29, 1856, Albert S. Marshall, b. May 31 1828, son of Samuel and Nancy (Smith) Marshall. They removed from Lunenburg to Rindge, 187-.|
|91||1.||Minnie Anna, b. Oct. 25, 1857.|
|92||2.||Albert A., b. Aug. 6, 1860.|
|93||3.||Charles E., b. April 8, 1863.|
|94||4.||Fred W., b. May 24, 1865.|
|95||5.||Susan A., b. Aug. 2, 1867.|
|96||6.||Annetta S., b. Sept. 11, 1871.|
|97||X.||George A., b. -----, 1837; md. Dec. --, 1861, Mattie A. Colburn, dau. of Norris Colburn, q.v.; she d. March 29, 1867; and he md. (2d) Sept. 1, 1869, Susie R. Converse, dau. of C. C. and Susan (Daniels) Converse, q.v. He represented the town in the Legislature 1868, '69, and has served several years in the supervision of schools (vide pp. 306, 318).|
||NATHAN WOODBURY, son of Israel and Anna (Morgan) Woodbury, was b. in Bolton, Mass., Aug. 13, 1794. His parents were natives of Beverly, Mass. He md. Sept. 20, 1817, Clarinda Whitney, b. in Harvard, Mass., Oct. 24, 1797, dau. of Cyrus and Asenath (Harris) Whitney. They removed to the Page Norcross farm, in the south part of Rindge, 1835. They have been longer md. than any other couple in Rindge.|
|2||I.||Asenath H., b. April 17, 1819; md. in Rindge Nov. 28, 1839, Albert Mann, a farmer in Winchendon.|
|3||II.||Mary Ann, b. Jan. 16, 1821; md. Sept. 19, 1840, Samuel Page, son of Levi Page, q.v. They reside in Winchendon.|
|4||III.||Nathan G., b. April 16, 1823; md. Jan. 1, 1847, Angelia Bryant, of Richmond, N.H., where they resided several years, but have recently removed to Keene, N.H. He is a manufacturer or wooden-ware.|
|5||IV.||Harrison, b. March 19, 1826; d. Oct. 10, 1830.|
|6||V.||Lauretta W., b. May 20, 1828; md. Nelson Parks, of Winchendon.|
|7||VI.||Lucinda B., b. Feb. 4, 1832; md. Dec. 28, 1863, Henry J. Newman. Reside in Rindge.|
|8||VII.||Clarinda A., b. March 23, 1834; m. Oct. 7, 1858, Daniel H. Sargent, q.v.|
|9||VIII.||Maria A., b. -----, 1837; md. Nov. 21, 1859, George F. Wallace, son of David, q.v.; he d. in Winchendon, 1874.|
|10||IX.||Andrew C., b. Dec. 25, 1840.|