Archive:NEHGR, Volume 147
Archives > Archive:Extracts > Archive:The New England Historical and Genealogical Register > NEHGR, Volume 147
Scalisi, Marie Lollo, and Ryan, Virginia M., "Peter Patee of Haverhill, Massachusetts: A "Journeyman Shoemaker" and His Descendants," NEHGR, Volume CXLVII (1993), pp. 73-86, 174-187.
- 12. Ebenezer3 Pattee (Benjamin2, Peter1) was born at Georgetown, Maine, 21 February 1739/40 and died at Unity, Maine 15 September 1825 (Unity TRs, 1:175). He married first, at Georgetown 10 January 1765, Mary Stinson (Georgetown VRs, 2:122), who was born there 18 November 1747, daughter of William and Elizabeth (Gordon?) Stinson (ibid., 1:162) and died at Unity 23 May 1807 (TRs, 1:175). He married second, about 1810, Sarah (Jordan) Rackliff (Kennebec Co. Deeds, 16:116; James Berry Vickery III, A History of the Town of Unity, Maine [Manchester, 1954] [hereinafter History of Unity], 28), daughter of Dominicus and Phebe (Gray) Jordan of Cape Elizabeth (Ruth Gray, ed., Maine Families in 1790, vol 1 [Camden, Me., 1988] [hereinafter Maine Fam. 1], 230). Sarah was the widow of Benjamin Rackliff, whom she married at Scarborough, Maine, 14 July 1763 (ibid.). She died at Unity in 1839 and is buried in Friends Cemetery, where her grave is marked simply "S.P. 97 yrs." (History of Unity, 29; g.s.) [snip]
- Children, by first wife Mary Stinson, first four born at Georgetown (VRs, 116-17), next eight probably at Vassalboro; surname Pattee: [snip]
- Rachel, b. 26 Sept. 1779 (calc. from g.s.); d. at Thorndike, Me., 1 Sept. 1857 (MOCA Series, Waldo Co., WAL1020); m. 5 Jan. 1799 Charles Whitney, undoubtedly the same, appears with a family in 1800 at Twenty-Five Mile Pond, in 1810 at Jackson, and in 1820 at Thorndike (1800 U.S. Census, Maine, Kennebec Co., 453; 1810 U.S. Census, Maine, Hancock Co., 606; 1820 U.S. Census, Maine, Hancock Co., 698). Charles and Rachel were buried in the Sayward Cemetery, Thorndike (MOCA, Series 1, Waldo Co., WAL1020).
Hillman, Ralph E., "William Rogers of Voluntown, Connecticut, And Some of His Descendants," NEHGR, Volume CXLVII (1993), pp. 105-128, 261-278, 360-370.
- 10. Cynthia4 Rogers (John3, William2-1) was born say 1792, and she died 16 January 1831 aged 38 (Luther Bagley manuscript ledger in a collection of miscellaneous town records [hereinafter Bagley Ms.], Troy town office). She married about 1815 Israel Bagley, who was born probably at Durham, Maine, 1 July 1793 (ibid.), and died intestate 26 or 17 March 1868 (Waldo Co. Probate file 1507; Batley Ts., 78), son of Enoch and Merriam (Hoyt) Bagley who were in Troy before 1810. He married second, at Troy 8 May 1844, Mrs. Azuba Gerrish (VRs a3:24 [cert], who died 17 November 1854 "aged 67" (Bagley Ts., 78). [snip]
- Children, born at Troy (Bagley Ts. 78, 135); surname Bagley:
- Luther, b. 5 Nov. 1815 (VRs a1:265; Bagley Ms.); d. testate 30 Aug. 1873 (Waldo Co. Probate file 3209); m. (1) at Troy 9 Jan. 1841 his first cousin Susan Keezer (VRs a3:2 [cert]), dau. of David and Mary4 (Rogers) Keezer (q.v.). Susan d. 1 June 1849 "aged 31" of consumption (G-W Almanac; Bagley Ms.; 1850 Mortality Schedule; Maine State Archives). Luther m. (2) at Troy 6. Nov. 1849 Hannah D. Gilkey (VRs a3:72), b. at Gorham, Me., 22 Oct., d. 4 April 1905, aged 86/4/11 of "age infirmities", daughter of Samuel and Betsey (Whitney) Gilkey, who came to Troy in 1819 (Troy VRs a2:17, a13:9); see also George L. Gilkey, The Gilkeys: a History of the Early American Gilkeys and Their Descendants, [Merrill, Wisc., 1950] [hereinafter Gilkey Family], 87).[snip]
- 15. Clarissa4 Rogers (John3, William2-1) was born 31 January 1803 probably at Troy, Maine (Weymouth records), and she died there 18 January 1834 (VRs a1:290). She married in St. David Parish, Charlotte County, New Brunswick, about 1820, Moses Harris Garcelon (Weymouth records), who was born at Lewiston, Maine, 3 November 1797 and died at Troy 15 September 1874, son of William and Maria (Harris) Garcelon (Constance Hanscom to the compiler, 16 Dec. 1989 [hereinafter Hanscom letter]; G-W Almanac). Moses was a shoemaker. He married second at Troy, 17 August 1835, Louisa Bennett (VRs a1:322), who was born at Franconia, New Hampshire, 29 June 1806 (Troy VRs a1:269) and died 22 May 1880, aged 73 (G-W Almanac), daughter of Phineas S. and Sally (____) Bennett, and sister of James S. Bennett, who married Clarisa's niece Charlotte5 Whitehouse [no. 7-ii]. [snip]
- Children; surname Garcelon:
- Lorenzo, b. in St. David, Charlotte Co., N.B., 9 Jan. 1822 (Weymouth records); d. at Troy 28 Oct. 1912 (Fairview Cemetery record); m. (1) at Troy 18 July 1850 Phebe Gilkey, b. there 14 April 1826 (VRs a1:267), d. 12 June 1878 (Fairview Cemetery record), daughter of Samuel and Betsey (Whitney) Gilkey, and sister of Hannah who m. Luther Bagley (10-i, q.v.) (George L. Gilkey, The Gilkeys ... [Merrill, Wisc., 1950], 87, 91]; m. (2) at Troy 9 Nov. 1881 Frances A. Fuller (VRs a4:29), daughter of David and Sally (Garcelon) Fuller (Weymouth records), d. at Troy 13 Aug. 1889, aged 58 (VRs a3:3). He m. (3) at Troy 27 Dec. 1892 Mary E. Merrill (VRs a11:1), b. July 1860, daughter of William G. and Eleanor (Robinson) Merrill (1900 Census, #140/144; Weymouth records), d. 1912 (Fairview Cemetery record). [snip]
- Children, with first wife, Phebe Gilkey; born at Troy; surname Garcelon:
- Alice Louise, b. 10 Oct. 1852; d. 6 July 1896 (Troy Vrs a13:3); m. at Troy 17 Mar 1878 Austin Willey Weymouth (VRs a4:25), son of the Rev. Nathaniel F. and Judith P. (Simmons) Weymouth. They had four children, one of whom was Frederick Rogers Weymouth, whose records have been used extensively in this compilation.
- Betsy W., b. 1859; d. 2 Oct. 1876 (Fairview Cemetery record).
Copyright © 2000, 2006, The Whitney Research Group