Archive:Portrait and Biographical Record of Denver and Vicinity, Colorado
Chapman Publishing Company, Portrait and Biographical Record of Denver and Vicinity, Colorado (Chicago: Chapman Publishing Company, 1898).
FREDERICK S. WHITNEY, a well-known pioneer of the Poudre Valley, Weld County, has been living retired from active labor for the past ten years, in the enjoyment of the competence which he gained in former years by industry and well-applied energy. He owns about three hundred acres of well-improved land, which he rents to responsible tenants, and has other property and investments besides. His life has been characterized by straightforwardness of purpose, earnest and zealous desire to do the right and act fairly toward all men, and small wonder is it that he is held in high regard by all who know him. He is a member of the United Brethren Church, and has been a liberal contributor to religious, educational and benevolent enterprises.
F. S. Whitney is one of the four children of David and Polly Whitney, natives of Fairfield County, Conn., the mother of the town of Danbury. They spent their entire lives in their native state, Mr. Whitney carrying on a farm. Edward, the eldest son, was a salesman for a boot and shoe house many years ago, and disappearing was never heard from. William is a machinist for the Union Pacific Railroad, located at present at Council Bluffs, Iowa. Nancy, the only daughter, is the wife of Edward Wickwire, of Waterbury, Conn.
The birth of F. S. Whitney occurred January 22, 1836, on his father's farm in Fairfield County, Conn. He received a good general education in the public schools, and at the age of twenty-two years accepted a position with the New York & Erie Railroad Company. Gradually he was promoted, being brakesman, fireman and engineer, and in 1855 he went to Chicago, where he ran as fireman on the Chicago & North-western Railway between that city and Freeport. Later he was engineer for the passenger train running from Chicago to Fulton City until 1860. That year he assumed the charge of an engine in the stamping mills in Nevadaville, Colo. At the close of a year he engaged in teaming wood and quartz for the Blackhawk and Central City mines. In 1862 he came to this valley, and the day before Christmas located on a squatter's claim of one hundred and sixty acres, about a mile south of Windsor. The tract is now owned by ex-Governor Eaton. Afterwards he homesteaded a quarter-section adjoining, and cultivated this land for a number of years. He improved the land, principally by means of an irrigation ditch from the river. Few settlers were hereabouts at that early day, and among the nearest neighbors of our subject were the Newell brothers, "Ranger" Jones and Tom Ernest, all of whom lived a mile or a mile and a half away. Here Mr. Whitney was busily occupied in farming and stockraising for some twenty years, at the end of which time he rented his farm and became a resident of Greeley. After living in the town eight years Mr. Whitney bought three hundred and twenty acres of land on section 15, township 4, range 67 west. This property was railroad land, wholly unimproved, and a great task was before the new owner, who was not, however, daunted, but bravely overcame the obstacles in his way. About two hundred and seventy-five acres are now under cultivation. In his political relations he is a Republican.
On the 10th of May, 1860, Mr. Whitney married Miss Margaret Nettleton, who was born in Troy, N. Y., but grew to womanhood in Chicago. They have never had any children.