Archive:The Descendants of John Whitney, page 263
The Descendants of John Whitney, Who Came from London, England, to Watertown, Massachusetts, in 1635, by Frederick Clifton Pierce (Chicago: 1895)
Transcribed by the Whitney Research Group, 1999.
|Previous page||Next page|
whom she has raised from the lowest depth of destitution, and to whom, without hope of Christ and on the verge of the eternal world, she introduced him, that he might administer the holy consolations of the gospel! And how unobtrusive, and how modest, and how retiring in all her goodness! Few knew of the abodes of woe which she had visited till the blessing which she left behind her told them of her pres- ence. There was no noisy public display when she did good. She stepped a hair- breadth out of her own path to assume duties which properly belonged to those of a different sphere and another sex. Hers was the ornament of that meek and quiet spirit which in the sight of God is of the greatest prize, though by mortals often over- looked, amidst the glare of those who will make themselves conspicuous by touching functions which they have no business whatever to assume. And to the regular services of our sanctuary and our week-day assemblies of liturgy, praise and prayer how punctually did she (when possible) resort thereby to strengthen more and more the spiritual vigor of her soul! In these devotions hers, doubtless, was the rich fore- taste of that sublime enjoyment which pertains to the adorning of heaven. `We need not wonder that the last end of such a one was peace!'" [Extract from a funeral sermon.] He was born in Massachusetts and with his parents moved to New York state. After a short residence in Plymouth and Verona, early in the twenties he moved to Rochester, N.Y., and erected at the Second Falls, in 1826, what is now known as the WHITNEY mills. He built a wooden residence on State street, between Brown and Waterloo Sts., which is still standing; some years later built a large brick house on Jay street, on his farm, which is now known as the WHITNEY tract and all built up. At the time of his death he owned a large farm on the Lake road half way between Rochester and Charlotte and which was divided between his sons, George and James, and the lower or James M. WHITNEY farm is now the Holy Sepulcher cemetery and the other is also owned by the Catholics, and the new St. Bernard's Seminary has just been completed on part of it. Of the late Mr. Warham WHITNEY, of whom the usual brief obituary notice has been promulgated, permit one who was long and intimately acquainted with him to sacrifice to his memory, by a brief recital of his many virtues and sterling qualities as a man and fellow-citizen. Possessed of a mind strong it its own resources, of an indomitable and untiring industry, an endearing observance of all the charities of life, and due appreciation of duties he owed to his fellow-man his course through life has been blessed by many benefits he has conferred on the public as well as individually; with competence and respectability to his family, and that well-earned trophy which is his best mausoleum, an honest man and fellow-citizen. An early settler in this city, he was one among the first to give an impetus to the ball of permanent public improvement, which conducted it to it s present proud station among the wonders of our happy country, and its citizens cannot but lament that a fatal disease has thus cut him off in the midst of his usefulness, and consigned him thus early to "that bourne from whence no traveler returns." Let friendship be tol- erated to say that his manly virtues, integrity and upright conduct, while a sojourner in this vale of tears, must remain a rich legacy to his bereaved family, and endear his memory to all classes of community, over which detraction shall have no influence, not time any power, till our sensibilities shall become blasted and our memories pass away with the frail tenements they now inhabit. The universal commiseration of the whole community with his highly respected family and connections peak more feelingly to the heart that high-wrought eulogiums, heraldic honors or the feeble tribute of one who love him in life, and deplored his loss in death. Requiscat in pace. [Obituary in Rochester paper]. He d. Mar. 14, 1840; res. Plymouth, Verona and Rochester, N.Y. 3962. i. CAROLINE, b. Plymouth, N.Y., Aug. 28, 1812; m. June 19, 1833, Gen. John WILLIAMS. She d. Dec. 23, 1836. 3963. ii. OLIVE, b. Verona, June 19, 1814; m. Jan. 2, 1840, Gen. John WILLIAMS. She d. Aug. 24, 1867. He married for his second wife the sister of his first wife. He was b. Jan. 7, 1807; d. Mar. 26, 1875; was a merchant miller. The following obituary of Mrs. WILLIAMS is from the Rochester Daily Union; DEATH OF MRS. JOHN WILLIAMS.-The sorrow that per- vades this community to-day -that it is known that Mrs. Gen. John WILLIAMS is no more -is sincere, and the sympathy for her immediate relatives in their affliction is measured best by the esteem in which she was held. Mrs. WILLIAMS was taken ill a few days since while in Orleans county , and returned home in a condition quite critical. Since that time the hopes and fears of
|Previous page||Next page|
Copyright © 1999, 2006 The Whitney Research Group