Archive:The Descendants of John Whitney, page 565

From WRG
Jump to: navigation, search

Archives > Extracts > Archive:The Descendants of John Whitney > The Descendants of John Whitney, page 565

The Descendants of John Whitney, Who Came from London, England, to Watertown, Massachusetts, in 1635, by Frederick Clifton Pierce (Chicago: 1895)

Transcribed by the Whitney Research Group, 1999.


Previous page Next page
WHITNEY GENEALOGY. 565

tions of this gentleman, who laid the foundation of his subsequent successful career as a practitioner of this specialty of the healing art. Immediately after his gradua- tion he entered upon the practice of his chosen profession in Norwich, Chenango county, and united with the general practice of medicine, that of dentistry, which he continued until the summer of 1848. About this time ill health admonished him that some change of climate, mode of life, and business was necessary, and he accord- ingly removed to Clarksville, Tenn., and engaged in the practice of dentistry alone, to which from that time he devoted his exclusive interest. While in Tennessee, he became connected with the Mississippi Valley Association of Dental Surgeons, one of the first societies if not the first of the kind organized in this country, and con- tributed several valuable papers on subjects connected with dental science. Here it was he first became interested in the elevation and advancement of the dental pro- fession by means of organizations known as dental societies,which since that time have accomplished so much in the diffusion of knowledge and the advancement of dental science. Dr. WHITNEY remained about two years in Tennessee, and then re- moved to California, where he spent about one year. In 1851 he returned and went to Buffalo, and soon after associated himself with Dr. Charles W. HARVEY, which con- nection was continued until 1856, after which time he continued the practice of den- tistry alone. During the summer of 1860 he perfected and introduced an improved vul- canizing machine and flask which still bear his name, and by which he is known through this country and Europe wherever vulcanite plates are made for artificial teeth. In 1865, finding his health impaired by the confinement consequent upon carrying on both his dental and vulcanizer business, he associated with himself Dr. A. P. SOUTHWICK, in whose favor he relinquished his dental practice entirely in May, 1867. About this time Drs. B. T. WHITNEY, George E. HAYES, George B. SNOW and Theodore G. LEWIS formed an association for the manufacture of various appliances connected with dentistry, under the name of the Buffalo Dental Manufacturing Com- pany, and to the management of the affairs of this company Dr. WHITNEY devoted his time and attention until continued ill health made it necessary for him to relinquish all business cares, and seek rest and recreation in a pleasure trip to Europe, which occupied the summer months of 1871, affording him, however, but temporary relief from the effects of the insidious disease which eventually terminated his life. After his return from Europe in October last, his health gradually but steadily declined, and since the first of January he had been confined to his house, and for the most part to his bed. Death relieved him of his suffering on Sunday afternoon, Jan. 28, at about three o'clock. About 1848 Dr. WHITNEY united himself with the Protestant Episcopal church, in whose communion he ever after remained an active, de- voted and consistent member. For many years he was connected with Trinity church, but upon taking up his residence in a somewhat distant portion of the city he worshipped with the Church of the Ascension, of which he became a vestryman, holding that office at the time of his death. Not only to the many friends and acquaintances of Dr. WHITNEY will his death prove a serious loss, but the dental pro- fession both here and throughout the state will be pained to hear of his decease. His influence for good was felt in whatever circle he moved, whether professional, religious or social. He was prominent and indefatigable in all movements looking toward the progress of dental science in this state, and considered it a duty to be present at all meetings held for that object within any reasonable distance. To his efforts especially are we indebted for the present state law relating to dentistry. He successively held the office of president of the Buffalo Dental Association, the Dental Association of Western New York, the Eighth District Dental Society, and the Den- tal Society of the state of New York, all of which he very ably filled. Dr. WHITNEY retained his connection with his medical brethren and always evinced a warm inter- est in matters relating to general medicine by being present at their meetings. He was a member of the Erie County Medical Society. In his intercourse with his fellow men he was very genial and friendly, and was governed by the strictest principles of honesty and integrity. In short he was everywhere esteemed as the true type of a Christian gentleman. Mrs. WHITNEY, his wife, died childless. This is the end of a family that a short time ago occupied a high social position in Buffalo, the head of whom was one of the most distinguished of his profession in the state. Not long before his death Dr. WHITNEY returned from Europe, through which he traveled, in hopes of finding relief from the fatal disease which was preying upon him. Mrs. WHITNEY was the companion of her husband, watching him with the most unwearied solicitude. He returned to his native country, only to linger a few weeks and then go to a better world. The death of her husband was a terrible shock to Mrs WHITNEY. Like one of old she mourned and refused to be comforted. She left Buffalo,

Previous page Next page

Copyright © 1999, 2006 The Whitney Research Group

Personal tools