Archive:The Whitney Family of Connecticut, page 31

From WRG
Jump to: navigation, search

Archives > Archive:Extracts > Archive:The Whitney Family of Connecticut > The Whitney Family of Connecticut, page 31

The Whitney Family of Connecticut

by S. Whitney Phoenix
(New York: 1878)

Transcribed by Robert L. Ward.

Previous Page Next Page

Whitney Family.
31
38 IX. Silas Keeler, b. at Ridgefield, Conn., 3 Dec. 1724; married, 14 Ap. 1746, at Wilton, Conn., by Rev. William Gaylord, pastor of the Congregational Chuch at Wilton, to Abigail Elmer,1 dau. of deacon Jonathan and Mary Elmer, of Wilton, where she joined the Congregational Church, 14 Nov. 1742. They lived in Ridgefield, probably in Ridgebury Society. By his will, dated 17 Ap. 1774, proved 17 June 1774, he gave to his three sons, Nathaniel Keeler, Lewis Keeler and Thomas Keeler, all of his "lands in the township of Stoe, lying by Onion river so called, a township lately granted by ye Governor & Council of the Province of New Hampshire." He died in Ridgefield, 2 May 1774, and was buried in Ridgebury Cemetery. Soon after his death, she went to live at North Salem, N.Y., with her dau., Lydia (Keeler) Keeler, and there married, about 1780, Jonah Keeler, of North Salem, the father of her daughter's husband. She died at North Salem, in 1789, aged 66 years. Her second husband, Jonah Keeler, died in 1799. 254
39 X. John Keeler, b. at Ridgefieid, Conn., 11 Jan. 1726 [1726-7]; married, 30 May 1750, at Ridgefield, Sarah Northrop, dau. of Gamaliel and Mary (Dauchy) Northrop, of Ridgefield, where she was born 29 Ap. 1728. She died in Ridgebury, 11 Dec. 1781, in her 54th year. He made his will 25 Dec. 1781, and died in Ridgebury 2 Jan. 1782, "with the small-pox, whicly he took from his wife above-mentioned, who died with the same Disorder." They were buried in Ridgebury Cemetery. The farm which he owned, about two miles south of Ridgebury meeting-house, was still owned and occupied by his descendants, in 1875. 264
40 XI. Elijah Keeler, b. in Ridgefield, Conn., 17 March 1727 [?1727-8]. He settled in South Salem, Westchester Co., N.Y., where he was a member of the Congregational (now Presbyterian) Church at the ordination of its first pastor, Rev. Solomon Mead, 19 May 1752. He married Sarah -----, who joined the same church 7 Oct 1753. It appears from the land records, that he was of North Castle, Westchester Co., 28 Jan. 1755; of "Old Pound Ridge," in the same county, 21 Feb. 1755; of "Lower Salem" again, 24 Feb. 1787, when he bought land on "Pompion Ridge" in Ridgefield, on which he lived 26 March 1788, when he bought land adjoining it, "near Nod;" and was called "of Norwalk," 29 March 1790, at which date lie sold the last two pieces. Nod district, now in Wilton, was then the northern part of Norwalk, next to the Ridgefield line. He was again called "of Ridgefield," 3 Dec. 1790, when he bought twenty acres of land east of the town street, paying Ebenezer Jones £74 3s. 1d. for the same. 266
1 See notes to numbers 50 and 256.
Previous Page Next Page
Personal tools