Examination of an 'Earthwork' at Winforton

From WRG
Jump to: navigation, search

Whitneys of England > Medieval Whitney Families > Whitneys of Whitney > Examination of an 'Earthwork' at Winforton

http://www.castles99.ukprint.com/Essays/winforton.html

"The Clifford grant was augmented, probably earlier rather than later in the period 1230 to 1264, by Robert Whitney, lord of Whitney, who granted to Friar Walter the hermit in the Isle upon Wye, all the land with the wood standing on it which lay between the land of 'Domini Eustachii de Stowe' and the wood of Lord Walter Muscegros, to be held by the said Walter (the hermit) and his successors for ever. Although it is not certain which Walter Muscegros is meant, the inference must be that it is the older Walter, who was married to Evet as this grant complements that of the elder Walter's. Therefore both grants would appear to date to the period 1230 to 1234. This grant of Robert's may have been a confirmation, or expansion of an earlier one dated to the wide period 1230 to 1300 whereby Robert Whitney, gave to St. Cynidr and Friar Stephen, and his successors in the hermitage, nine acres of land in the old Hay, which lay near the land of his brother Eustace 'parson of Pencombe' and the wood of the lord of Winforton, and the Lord Llywelyn ap Llywelyn ab Einion. This grant was afterwards confirmed by Sir Eustace Whitney, Robert's successor."

Copyright © 2007, Tim Doyle and the Whitney Research Group.

Personal tools