Family:Fay, Albert Appleton Whitney (1844-1920)
Albert Appleton8 [Whitney] Fay (Albert Appleton7, Appleton Downer6, Asa5, Joshua4, William3, Joshua2, John1), son of Albert Appleton7 and Jenette (Brown) Whitney, was born 2 Oct 1844, Elyria, OH, and died 17 May 1920, Brocton, NY.
He married, 11 Dec 1867, Catherine Haight. She was born 10 Apr 1845, and died after 1920.
"He had his name changed to Fay. He is a dealer in coal, wood and flour; resided Brocton, NY."
- "Albert Appleton Fay was born in Elyria, Ohio, Oct. 2, 1884, his parents’ name being Whitney, who died when he was a small boy. Soon after their death he came to Sinclairville, N. Y., and shortly after was adopted by J. B. Fay and came to Brocton, where he spent his life. At the outbreak of the Civil War, he enlisted in Company D, 9th New York Cavalry, and served throughout the war, being discharged with the rank of (full corporal); he was twice wounded in action. For twenty-one years, Mr. Fay was one of the assessors of the town of Portland, holding that position at the time of his death, which fully exemplified the confidence in which he was held by his fellow-townsmen.
- "At various times, since the organization of Brocton as a village, he served as one of the trustees and was elected to that office in the spring of 1900. For several years he was president and manager of the Chautauqua Grape Company, was a member of the Farm Bureau, and a charter member of Portland Grange, Patrons of Husbandry; James A. Hall Post, Grand Army of the Republic; J. B. Fay Camp, Sons of Veterans; and Brocton Lodge, No. 284, Knights of Pythias. Mr. Fay married, Dec. 11, 1867, Kate Haight, who with three children, Luke H. …, George A., of Corry, Pa., and Mrs. Veron Mathews, of Brocton, survive. Mr. Fay died May (17), 1920, and the funeral services were conducted by the Rev. S. M. Gorden, of the Methodist Episcopal church. The burial, in Evergreen Cemetery, was in charge of the Knights of Pythias, and eleven of his old soldier comrades acted as honorary bearers."
Albert is buried at Portland Evergreen Cemetery in Portland, New York.
Children of Albert Appleton8 and Catherine (Haight) [Whitney] Fay:
i. Mary Elma Fay, b. 18 Apr 1871; m. 14 Jun 1893, Vernon Mathews; resided Brocton. ii. Luke Haight Fay, b. 14 Dec 1873. iii. George Albert Fay, b. 27 Mar 1875; m. Belle -----.
- 1870: not found.
- 1880, Portland, Chautauqua Co., NY: Albert A. Fay
- 1890 Veterans Schedule, Portland, Chautauqua Co., NY
- 1892 State Census, Portland, Chautauqua Co., NY
- 1900, Portland, Chautauqua Co., NY: George Fay (this was a son)
- 1910, Portland, Chautauqua Co., NY
- 1920, Portland, Chautauqua Co., NY
2.^ Excerpt from History of Chautauqua County, New York, and Its People, Volume 3 edited by John Phillips Downs, Fenwick Y. Hedley 1921, public domain.