Family:Whitney, Alonzo Adams (1801-a1880)
Alonzo Adams8 Whitney (Abraham Johnson7, James6, Samuel5, Samuel4, Nathaniel3, John2, John1), son of Abraham Johnson7 and Philena (Adams) Whitney, was born 6 May 1801, Stamford, NY, and died after 1880.
He married, 6 May 1821, Danby, NY, Fanny Pitts, daughter of Lewis and Thankful (Wickham) Pitts. She was born 29 Dec 1801, Chatham, NY, and died after 1880.
Phoenix says the following:
- "Alonzo Adams Whitney, b. at Stamford, N.Y., 6 May 1801; married at Danby, N.Y., 6. May 1821, by Dr. Lewis Beers, Swedenborgian, to Fanny Pitts, dau. of Lewis and Thankful (Wickham) Pitts. She was born at Chatham, N.Y., 29 Dec. 1801. They settled in Danby, where he manufactured spinning-wheels, jennies, &c., till the old Ithaca and Owego Railway was built, when he kept a hotel and country store, and furnished timber for nine miles of the road. The failure of the Railway Company caused the loss of all his property, when he moved to the place now called Gibson, in Corning, N.Y. There he was successful in trade; and was, for several years, highway. commissioner, and a foreman on the Chemung Canal. In 1848 they settled at East Charleston, Penn., and engaged in farming; and were still living there in May 1876, at a place called Whitneyville. He has been postmaster of East Charleston most of the time he has lived there, besides holding various town-offices. When twenty-one years old, he dropped his middle name, and has since been known as Alonzo Whitney."
Children of Alonzo Adams8 and Fanny (Pitts) Whitney:
i. Nelson9 Whitney, b. 5 Jan 1823; m. Susan C. Parcel.
- 1830, Danby, Tompkins Co., NY: Alonzo Whitney, 1 mael 30-39, 1 male 5-9, and 1 female 30-39.
- 1840, Painted Post, Steuben Co., NY: Alonzo Whitney, 1 male 30-39, 1 male 20-29, 1 male 15-19, 1 femlae 30-39, and 1 female 10-14; 3 engaged in manufacture or trades.
- 1850, Charleston, Tioga Co., PA:
21 21 Alonzo Whitney 48 M - Farmer N.Y. Fanny " 48 F - "
404 405 Alonzo Whitney 58 M - Farmer $5000 $1700 Conn. Fanny " 58 F - N.Y. Lewis Pitts 84 M - Farmer $1500 $300 " Thankful " 80 F - " 405 406 Nelson Whitney 36 M - Merchant $4000 $15000 " Susan " 36 F - " Mary " 12 F - " Attended school Frank " 10 M - Pa. Attended school Fanny " 7 F - " Attended school Willis " 5 M - " Attended school Seymour " 2 M - " Chester M. Spaulding 19 M - Clerk N.Y. Carried Wilcox 24 F - Servant Ireland Mary Cosgriff 18 F - " N.Y.
370 381 Whitney, Alonzo 69 M W Farmer $7000 $8000 Conn. Male citizen over 21 " Fanny 68 F W Keeping house N.Y.
Alonzo WHITNEY 79 Self M M W --- Farmer CT CT Fanny WHITNEY 79 Wife F M W NY K. House NY NY
- All data imported from Frederick Clifton Pierce, The Descendants of John Whitney, Who Came from London, England, to Watertown, Massachusetts, in 1635, (Chicago: 1895), p. 465.
- Stephen Whitney Phoenix, The Whitney family of Connecticut, and its affiliations; being an attempt to trace the descendants, as well in the female as the male lines, of Henry Whitney, from 1649 to 1878; to which is prefixed some account of the Whitneys of England. (New York : Priv. Print. [Bradford Press] 1878), p. 734; and p. 1550.