Family:Whitney, Bascom (1768-1839)
Major General Bascom7 Whitney (Ephraim6, John5, John4, Joseph3, John2, John1), son of Ephraim6 and Mary (Reed) Whitney, was born 9 Nov 1768, Framingham, MA, or circa 1769, died 21 Jun 1839. He was buried in the Hopewell Pioneer Cemetery, Ontario Co., NY.
He married, 6 Oct 1791, Cynthia Smith, daughter of John and Sarah (Day) Smith. She was born 29 Sep 1771, and died 6 Aug 1849. She was buried in the Hopewell Pioneer Cemetery, Ontario Co., NY.
On 26 Jan 1807, Bascom Whitney purchased land from John Bradner in Gorham, NY for $1500.
- Cem. Lot 24
- Bascom Whitney. B-1769. D-June 21,1839. Age 70 years.
- Cynthia, wife of Bascom, B. -1772. D. -Aug 6 1849, Age 77 yrs. 9 mos.
- John, son of Bascom & Cynthia, B-1799. D. -Aug 22 1827, Age 28 yrs. 10 mos.
He one of the earliest settlers in Seneca.
Children of Bascom7 and Cynthia (Smith) Whitney, possibly incomplete:
i. Deborah8 Whitney, b. 23 Feb 1794, Goshen, MA; d. 3 Apr 1876, aged 80 years; bur. Hopewell Burying Ground or Hopewell Pioneer Cemetery, Hopewell, NY; "of Geneva" m. 4 Feb 1815, Ephraim Watkins, "of Gorham" [NY], by Rev. Axtell. She was listed on the 1850 census in Hopewell, Ontario Co., NY.
- "Mr. Watkins is the offspring of an excellent old family, for many generations of New England ancestry, his father being Ephraim Watkins, who was born in Berkshire County, Mass., in 1788. The mother, who in her girlhood was Miss Deborah Whitney, was also a native of Berkshire County, the Bay State, and born in the town of Goshen, Feb. 23, 1794. After marriage the parents settled in Hopewell, Ontario Co.. N. Y., where the father carried on agriculture and also operated as a contractor on the Erie Canal. He spent the remainder of his life in Hopewell, passing away Nov. 29, 1843, when in middle life, being about fifty-five years of age. The mother subsequently removed to Canandaigua, in the same county, where her death took place at her home, April 3. 1876. Their family included three sons and six daughters Of these children seven lived to mature years; three are now living, and residents of Michigan and New York."
- "Ephraim Watkins, the father of our subject, during his early manhood served as a soldier in the War of 1812. He was the son of a sea captain who was engaged largely in the coasting trade, operating on the coast of New England and among the West Indies. He eventually settled upon terra firma, and spent his last days in what is now Hopewell, Ontario Co., N. Y. The maternal grandfather of Mr. Watkins, Bascom Whitney by name, carried a musket in the Revolutionary War, and clothed his name with imperishable honor by yielding up his life in the cause of liberty at the battle of Bunker Hill." Children:
a. Clinton Watkins, b. ca. 1820. b. Charles Watkins, b. ca. 1824. c. Eliza Watkins, b. ca. 1830. d. Catherine Watkins, b. ca. 1832. ii. John Whitney, b. 22 Oct 1798; d. 22 Aug 1827, Hopewell, NY, aged 28 years 10 months; bur. Hopewell Pioneer Cemetery, or Hopewell Burying Ground, Hopewell, NY. iii. Cynthia Ann Whitney, b. 4 Jul 1801; d. 30 Oct 1871; m. David Jones, b. 10 Oct 1792, d. 19 Apr 1869; both bur. Mount Albion Cemetery, Albion, Orleans Co., NY. One report calls her father "Major General Bascom Whitney". iii. Ephraim Jefferson Whitney, b. 4 Jun 1806, Hopewell Center, NY; m. Susan Jane Perrine.
- 1800, Easton, Ontario Co., NY: Bascum Whitney, 1 male 26-44, 1 male 16-25, 1 male 0-9, 1 female 26-44, 3 females 0-9.
- 1810, Gorham, Ontario Co., NY: Bascom Whitney, 1 male 26-44, 2 males 16-25, 1 male 10-15, 2 males 0-9, 1 female 26-44, 2 females 16-25, 1 female 10-15, and 2 females 0-9.
- 1820: not found.
- 1830: not found.
1.^ His parentage is shown by his birth record, which agrees exactly with his age at death, together with his unusual given name.
2.^ "Bassom [Whitney], s. of Ephraim and Mary, [born] Nov. 9, 1768," according to Vital Records of Framingham, Massachusetts, to the Year 1850 (Boston, MA: 1911), p. 206.
4.^ Hopewell Pioneer Cemetery, Ontario County, New York. Also, Find A Grave memorial #29070317, Gen. Bascom Whitney.
5.^ Hopewell Pioneer Cemetery, Ontario County, New York. Also, Find A Grave memorial #29070317, Gen. Bascom Whitney.
6.^ Hopewell Pioneer Cemetery, Ontario County, New York. Also, Find A Grave memorial #29070234, Cynthia Smith Whitney.
7.^ Hopewell Pioneer Cemetery, Ontario County, New York. Also, Find A Grave memorial #29070234, Cynthia Smith Whitney.
8.^ Hopewell Pioneer Cemetery, Ontario County, New York. Also, Find A Grave memorial #29070234, Cynthia Smith Whitney.