Family:Whitney, Benjamin (1831-1897)
Benjamin7 Whitney (Aaron6, Benjamin5, Joshua4, Cornelius3, Joshua2, John1), son of Aaron6 and Electa (Leach) Whitney, was born Dec 1831, Mina, Chautauqua Co., NY, and died 12 Jan 1897, Mina, Chautauqua Co., NY.
He married, 8 Dec 1859 (or 8 Dec 1854), Mary E. Coe, daughter of Philonzo and Diana Mary Ann (Bidwell) Coe. She was born 1835, Mina, Chautauqua Co., NY, and died 1925.
He resided Mina, New York.
- "Attempted Suicide, No Date given. On Monday, Ben WHITNEY, a much respected citizen of Findley’s Lake, went to his barn, climbed up on the hay, rolled himself into a blanket, took 27 Morphine pills and laid down to die. He was soon missed and his wife found him and roused him in time to save him. He told her what he had done, and said he just wanted to put himself out of the way. He has been asleep since, and may yet, “Climb the golden stair.” He has for years suffered with a sick headache and had been regularly taking 2 of those little pills to relieve his pain. An Old Scrapbook clipping"
- 1898 The Funeral for Benjamin WHITNEY was held from the church at Mina on Sunday, it was largely attended; A Mina Scrapbook".
- WHITNEY, Benjamin Spouse of Mary E. Born 1831 Died 1898 - Son of Aaron & Electa Leach Whitney
- WHITNEY, Mary E. Coe Spouse of Benjamin Born 1835 Died 1925
- WHITNEY, Norman F. Born 1912 Died 1967
- WHITNEY, A. L. Born 1854 Died 5-13-1887 - Son of Isaac & Betsy Elizabeth Nason
- Mina Corners Cemetery;
- - MINA CORNERS CEMETERY, OBITUARIES, MINA, NY.
Children of Benjamin7 and Mary E. (Coe) Whitney:
i. Edith Ersula8 Whitney, b. 28 May 1855, Mina, NY; m. 3 Jul 1872, Titusville, PA, DeWitt Clinton Coney. ii. Eva Whitney, b. ca. 1868, Canada; not in family in 1880. iii. Clinton Whitney, b. ca. 1872; not in family in 1880; called "John" in some records.
19 19 Aaron Witney 52 M - Farmer $4000 N.Y. Electa 52 F - Vt. Phebe 29 F - N.Y. Aaron 22 M - Farmer " Attended school Benjamin 19 M - Farmer " Attended school Zebulon 16 M - Farmer " Attended school Polly 9 F - " Attended school
14 -- Benjamin Whitney 25 M - Farmer $700 $800 N.Y. Mary Do 24 F - Do Edith Do 5 F - Child Do James Maddocks 70 M - Nursery man $2300 $500 Maine Rebecca Do 61 F - N.Y. Wm. Brown 66 M - Boarder Mass.
13 12 Whitney, Benjamin 37 M W Drayman $5000 $1000 N.Y. Male citizen over 21 -----, Mary 34 F W Keeping House N.Y. -----, Edith 15 F W At Home N.Y. Attended school -----, Eva 2 F W At Home Canada Cole, Ruth 27 F W Domestic Help N.Y. [and nine "Oil Miners"]
Ben WHITNEY 48 Self M M W NY Farmer VT VT Marry WHITNEY 44 Wife F M W NY Keeping House CT NY Semanthy SAXTON 12 Othe F S W NY Servant NY VT Clint CLARK 8 Othe M S W PA At School PA NY
- 1892 New York State Census, Mina, Chautauqua Co., NY:
Benjamin Whitney M 61 - U.S. citizen Farmer Mary E Whitney F 50 - U.S. citizen Clinton Whitney M 20 - U.S. citizen
Whitney, Mary Head W F wid
- 1910, Conewango, Cattaraugus Co., NY: widow Mary Whitney
- Census records.