Family:Whitney, David Hyatt (1801-1857)
David Hyatt6 Whitney (Abijah5, Seth4, Nathan3, John2, Henry1), son of Abijah5 and Melicent (Hyatt) Whitney, was born 11 Feb 1801, Yorktown, NY, and died 3 Oct 1857, North Castle, NY. He was buried at White Plains, NY.
He married, Yorktown, NY, Mary Williams, daughter of William and Bethia (Purdy) Williams. She was born 15 Oct 1806, New York, NY, and died after 1874.
Phoenix says the following:
- "David Hyatt Whitney, b. at Crompond, in Yorktown, N. Y., 11 Feb. 1801; a farmer; married at Shrub Oak, in Yorktown, by Rev. Mr. Blair, Presbyterian, to Mary Williams, born in New York City, 15 Oct 1806, dau. of William and Bethia (Purdy) Williams, of New York, and afterward of Kensico, N. Y. They lived at Shrub Oak, East Chester, and Tarrytown; and finally settled at Kensico, in North Castle, N. Y., where he died 3 Oct. 1857, and was buried at White Plains. She was living at Kensico, in 1874."
Children of David Hyatt6 and Mary (Williams) Whitney:
i. Elizabeth7 Whitney, b. 27 July 1827, Shrub Oak, in Yorktown, NY; m. John Williams; m.(2) Henry Williams. ii. Martha Whitney, b. 18 Sep 1831, Shrub Oak, in Yorktown, NY; m. Benjamin Odell. iii. Solomon Fowler Whitney, b. 23 May 1835, Kensico, in North Castle, NY; a seaman; was lost at sea, 23 June 1856, in the Restless, near Tristan d'Acunha. iv. Jane Whitney, b. 11 Mar 1838, Eastchester, NY; m.(1) Jesse Williams; m.(2) Edward Reynolds. v. Harriet Whitney, b. 5 Feb 1845, Kensico, in North Castle, NY; m. John Shaughnessy.
- 1830, Yorktown, Westchester Co., NY: David H. Whitney, 1 male 20-29, 1 female 20-29, and 1 female 0-4.
- 1840, Greenburgh, Westchester Co., NY: David Whitney, 1 male 30-39, 1 male 5-9, 1 female 30-39, 1 female 10-14, 1 female 5-9, and 1 female 0-4; 1 engaged in agriculture.
- 1850, North Castle, Westchester Co., NY:
79 78 George Brundage 24 M - Grocer America Ann " 20 F - [America] Emeline " 3 F - [America] David H. Whitney 49 M - Laborer $1000 Do Mary " 44 F - Do Martha Whitney 18 F - America Solomon " 16 M - Do Attended school Jane " 12 F - Do Attended school Harriet " 5 F - Do Attended school
379 405 Mary Whiting 53 F - $100 $150 N.Y. Harriet " 15 F - " Attended school Jesse Williams 22 M - [N.Y.] Jane " 22 F - [N.Y.]
- 1870: not found.
- 1880, North Castle, Westchester Co., NY:
Edward REYNOLDS 41 Self M M W NY Laborer NY NY Jane REYNOLDS 41 Wife F M W NY Keeping House NY NY Mary WHITNEY 73 MotL F W W NY At Home NY NY
- All data imported from Stephen Whitney Phoenix, The Whitney family of Connecticut, and its affiliations; being an attempt to trace the descendants, as well in the female as the male lines, of Henry Whitney, from 1649 to 1878; to which is prefixed some account of the Whitneys of England. (New York : Priv. Print. [Bradford Press] 1878), p. 320 and pp. 847-848.