Family:Whitney, David Josiah (1814-1887)
He married, MA, Mehitable B. Smith. She was born about 1818, MA. She died about 1889 and is buried next to her husband in Mound Cemetery
He resided Clinton, NY, Racine, WI, and Chicago, IL. In 1850 he was listed as a saddler. In 1870, he was listed as a corn merchant.
Children of David Josiah8 and Mehitable B. (Smith) Whitney:
i. Isadore9 Whitney, b. ca. 1838, Clinton, NY; m. Charles Black; resided Racine, WI. She was a teacher and Temperance leader. She contracted pneumonia while on Temperance work and died 23 Dec 1905. She is buried in Mound Cemetery, Racine, WI. ii. Frances M. Whitney, b. 1839, Clinton, NY; d. 12 Apr 1902, Rochester, NY. She m. 1 Feb 1866, Horace Johnson. She was a teacher in Walworth County, WI. Frances and Horace are buried in Mt. Hope Cemetery, Rochester, NY. iii. Caroline Whitney, b. ca. 1844, Clinton, NY; lived Chicago, IL; m. Henry H.Stevens. Her son was C.Whitney Stevens,Chicago,IL architect. iv. Clarence S. Whitney, b. 17 Jan 1850, Clinton, NY; d. 15 May 1912, Kansas City, MO.
- 1840, Kirkland, Oneida Co., NY: David J. Whitney, 2 males 20-29, 1 female 20-29, and 2 females 0-4; 2 engaged in manufacture or trades.
- 1850, Kirkland, Oneida Co., NY:
1 1 David Whitney 36 M - Saddler $800 Vt. Mahitible " 32 F - Mass. Isadore 12 F - N.Y. Attended school Frances 10 F - N.Y. Attended school Caroline 6 F - N.Y. Attended school Clarence 1 M - N.Y.
1199 182 J. D. Whitney 46 M - Harness Maker $300 Vermont M. B. " 42 F - Massachusetts Fanny Whitney 18 F - Com. S. Teacher New York Carolin " 16 F - New York Attended school Clarance " 10 M - do Attended school
1257 1228 Whitney, David J. 56 M W Com. Mercht. Vt. Male citizen over 21 " Mehitable 52 F W Keeping House Mass. " Clarence S. 20 M W Clerk in Store N.Y. Stevens, Henry H. 29 M W Book Keeper N.H. Male citizen over 21 " Linnie E. 26 F W None N.Y. Conti, Joseph 21 M W Clerk Confectioner Italy Parents foreign born
David WHITNEY 66 Self M M W VT Hyde Agts VT VT Mahettema WHITNEY 63 Wife F M W MA Keeping House MA MA
- 1880, Clarence not found.
- All data imported from Frederick Clifton Pierce, The Descendants of John Whitney, Who Came from London, England, to Watertown, Massachusetts, in 1635, (Chicago: 1895), p. 494.
1. 1850 Federal Census, Oneida County,NY.
2. Death Certificates of Frances M. (Whitney) Johnson and Clarence S. Whitney.
3.Death Certificate of David J Whitney