Family:Whitney, Elias (1770-1860)
He married, 17 Jan 1792, Fishkill, NY, Judith Wood, daughter of Isaac and Martha (Way) Wood. She was born 5 Feb 1774, Fishkill, NY, nad died 3 May 1863, Poughkeepsie, NY.
Phoenix says the following:
- Elias Whitney, b. at Crompond, Yorktown, N.Y., 15 Aug. 1770; went, when eighteen years old, to Fishkill, N.Y., and in 1815, moved to Poughkeepsie, N.Y., where he spent the rest of his life. He was a weaver and gardener, which last business he continued to pursue till the last year of his life. He married, 17 Jan. 1792, at Fishkill, Judith Wood, dau. of Isaac and Martha (Way) Wood, who lived four miles south of Fishkill Village, on the mountain, where she was born, 5 Feb. 1774; and, for nearly sixty-eight years, they lived happily together, till his death, 8 June 1860. An obituary notice says of him: "Mr. Whitney had been married for 70 years, and was the father of ten children, the grandfather of forty-seven, the great-grandfather of eighty-seven, and the great-great-grandfather of six children." He made a profession of religion and was baptized by immersion, when 88 years old. His widow survived him until 3 May 1863. They are interred in the Baptist burial-ground in Garden Street, Poughkeepsie.
- "She was very attentive," writes a grandchild, "to all the duties of church, and though quite deaf during the latter years of her life, she was at the prayer-meeting regularly, unless the weather was too stormy. When able to hear scarcely a word, she used to say, 'I always like to be there, you know, Elias, for if I cannot hear much, I can fill my place.' Dear, good, kind grandmother! I trust she 'fills her place' beside the Master, now."
Children of Elias5 and Judith (Wood) Whitney:
i. Elizabeth6 Whitney, b. 18 Oct 1792, Fishkill, NY; m. Elnathan Miller. ii. Phebe Whitney, b. 11 Oct 1795, Fishkill Plains, NY; d. 6 Apr 1814, Fishkill Plains, NY; unmarried. iii. Hannah Rowlin Whitney, b. 13 Feb 1797, Fishkill Plains, NY; m. James Benjamin Way. iv. Isaac Lounsbury Whitney, b. 26 Mar 1800, Fishkill Palins, NY; m.(1) Sarah Haywood; m.(2) Mary Ann Stackhouse. v. Jacob Hasbrook Whitney, b. 23 Sep 1802, Fishkill Hook, NY; m. Catharine Wixon. vi. Peter Berry Whitney, b. 2 Apr 1804, Beekman, NY; m. Lenchy Helen Magdalen Wells. vii. Martha Ann Whitney, b. 2 May 1811, Fishkill, NY; d. 10 Jan 1840, Poughkeepsie, NY; unmarried; buried in the Baptist burial-ground, Garden Street. viii. John Wiley Whitney, b. 2 Jul 1814, Fishkill, NY; m. Eliza Grimwood. ix. Francis Rowland Whitney, b. 2 Mar 1816, Fishkill Plains, NY; m. Mary Ann Robinson.
- 1800, Fishkill, Dutchess Co., NY: Elias Whitney, 1 male 26-44, 1 male 0-9, 1 female 26-44, and 3 females 0-9.
- 1810, Fishkill, Dutchess Co., NY: Elias Whitney, 1 male over 45, 3 males 0-9, 1 female 26-44, 1 female 16-25, and 2 females 10-15.
- 1820, Poughkeepsie, Dutchess Co., NY: Elias Whitney, 1 male over 45, 2 males 0-9, and 1 female 0-9; 1 engaged in manufacture or trades.
- 1830, Poughkeepsie, Dutchess Co., NY: Elias Whitney, 1 male 50-59, 1 male 15-19, 1 female 50-59, and 1 female 15-19.
- 1840, Poughkeepsie, Dutchess Co., NY: Elias Whitney, 1 male 70-79 and 1 female 60-69; 1 engaged in agriculture.
- 1850, Poughkeepsie, Dutchess Co., NY:
433 587 Margarett Sherman 45 F - N.Y. Elisabeth " 19 F - " Essa " 11 M - " Rufus Anson 28 M - Artist " Harriett " 25 F - " Franklin " 1 M - " 588 Elias Witney 80 M - None " Judath " 78 F - " Andrew Bross 23 M - Fruit Store " Married in year Sarah " 18 F - "
1694 2424 James B. Way 65 M - Blacksmith $300 New York Hannah R. " 64 F - " Theadore F. " 23 M - Carriage Painter " Martha A. " 18 F - " 2425 Juda Whitney 86 F - $175 "
- All data imported from Stephen Whitney Phoenix, The Whitney family of Connecticut, and its affiliations; being an attempt to trace the descendants, as well in the female as the male lines, of Henry Whitney, from 1649 to 1878; to which is prefixed some account of the Whitneys of England. (New York : Priv. Print. [Bradford Press] 1878), p. 113 and pp. 326-328.