Family:Whitney, Estel Ephram (1884-1967)
He married firstly, Mabel U. Johnson, daughter of John D. and Lydia (-----) Johnson. She was born about 1885, IL, and died May 1921, ND.
He married secondly, Elizabeth "Bessie" Williams, daughter of William and Jane Elizabeth (Buzza) Williams. She was born 20 Jul 1901, Hibbing, St. Louis, MN, and died 21 Aug 1985, Idaho Falls, Bonneville, ID.
Bessie was Estel's 2nd wife. Not sure when they divorced, but Leola was quite young (I was told by her that she was 5) and Bessie married Jessie Quinton in 1945.
Estel married thirdly, Georginia Winn Gheen, daughter of William J. and Hannah M. (-----) Gheen. They are both buried in St. Charles, ID.
1910 Census Maine Prairie, Stearns, Minnesota Estel E Whitney, head, 25, married 3 years, born Minnesota, father Illinois, mother Maine, Laborer Rail Road: Mabel E, wife, 25, married 3 years, born Illinois, father Iowa, mother Illinois: Clarence K, son, 1 ?/12, born Minnesota, father Minnesota, mother Illinois
1920 Census Crystal, Pembina, North Dakota Estel E Whitney, head, 35, born Minnesota, father Illinois, mother Maine, Farmer, grain Mabel U, wife, 35, born Illinois, father Iowa, mother Illinois Clarence K, son, 11, born Minnesota Sylvester J, son, 9, born Minnesota Dorothy E, daugter, 5, North Dakota Frank, son, 3, North Dakota Mildred L, ?/12, North Dakota note: the family just before this is whom I believe to be Mabel U's parents... John D Johnson, 62, Iowa... Lydia E, wife, 60, Illinois... Ruben D, son, 23, Iowa... Edward E, son, 21, Iowa... Myrtle L, daughter, 18, Iowa
1930 Census International Falls, Koochiching, MN.
- Estel Whitney, head, male, white, 44, married, age at 1st marriage 23, born Minnesota, father Minnesota, mother Minnesota, occupation Barber, Barber Shop
- Bessie, wife, female, white, 28, married, age at 1st marriage 20, born Minnesota, father England, mother England
- Dorothy, daughter, female, white, 15, single, born North Dakota, father Minnesota, mother Minnesota
- Frank, son, male, white, 12, single, born North Dakota, father Minnesota, mother Minnesota
- Mildred, daughter, female, white, 10, single, born North Dakota, father Minnesota, mother Minnesota
- William C. (listed as a Whitney, but is actually a Champion, William Henry Champion from Bessie's first marriage), son (actually should read step son), male, white, 7, single, born Minnesota, father Minnesota, mother Minnesota
1940 Census Idaho Falls, Bonneville, Idaho 1295 Boise (house number and street, not sure number is accurate since previous home is also listed as 1295... later in life Bessie lived at 1285 Boise Ave.) E. Whitney, head, male, 56, born Minnesota, same house in 1935, occupation listed as truck and industry as driver Bessie, wife, female, 38, born Minnesota, same house in 1935 .... (she has further information at the bottom of the page) father's birth place Minnesota, mother's birth place Minnesota (note: this is incorrect, both of her parents were born in England), mother tongue is English, usual occupation is housewife and industry is housekeeping Billie (note: Leola has been crossed out and Billie written above as a correction. The next line lists Leola with no correction. Also, Billie's last name is actually Champion, but went by Whitney for much of his life. His biological father was Bessie's first husband, William Henry Champion), son, male, 17, born Idaho (he was actually born in Minnesota) same house in 1935 Leola, daughter, female, 3, born Idaho
Obituary for E. E. Whitney taken from the Daily Herald, Provo, Utah 14 Sep 1965 E. E. Whitney, 81 - Lehi Man Succumbs Lehi - Estel Ephrum Whitney, 81, 57 S. 5th W., Lehi, died Sunday evening at his home of natural causes. He was born July 10, 1884 in Kimball, Minn., a son of Joseph Bruce and Ann S. Winslow Whitney. He married Mabel Johnson. She died. He married Georgina Gheen on March 12, 1943 in Evanston, Wyo. Mr. Whitney was a member of the Baptist Church. Surviving are his widow, Lehi; Four sons and three daughters, Clarence, Sylvester, and Frank Whitney, all of Nisswa, Minn.; Don V. Whitney, Van Nuys, Calif.; Mrs. Dorothy Feurst, Clarkston, Wash.; Mrs. Elmer (Mildred) Cromwell and Mrs. Charles (Leola) Buchanan, both of Idaho Falls, Ida.;stepdaughter, Mrs. Mary Elaine Chadwick, Ogden; 25 grandchildren; 15 great grandchildren; one sister, Mrs. Myrna Posey, Crystal, N.D. ... Burial will be at St. Charles, Ida., Cemetery (note: Don V. is listed as a son, but is not a biological child. He was the child of Georgina and her 2nd husband, Daniel L. Peterson.)
Death Notice for Bessie Quinton taken from the Idaho Falls Post Register
- Bessie Quinton, 84, Idaho Falls resident, died Aug 22, 1985, at a local hospital of causes incident to age. Funeral services will be Saturday at 1 p.m. in Williams-Coltrin Funeral Home. Family will meet with friends Friday from 7 to 9 p.m. and Saturday for one hour prior to the services at the funeral home.
Obituary for Elizabeth Quinton taken from the Idaho Falls Post Register, Idaho Falls, Idaho
- Elizabeth Bessie Williams Quinton, 84, Idaho Falls resident, died Aug. 21, 1985, at a local hospital of causes incident to age.
- She was born July 20, 1901 at Hibbing, Minn., dauther of Billy and Jane Williams. The family moved to Clear Lake, Minn. when she was a young child and she lived there throughout her high school years. After high school she moved to New York where she obtained a degree as a naturopath. She also lived in Minnesota and New Mexico.
- She married William Henry Champion and they were later divorced. She married Estel Whitney and they were later divorced. She moved to Idaho Falls in 1935. On July 23, 1945 she married Jesse Quinton in Dillon, Mont. She worked in the restaurant at Hotel Roges and also at the Idaho Potato Growers, retiring in 1966.
- Survivors are a daughter, Mrs. Charles (Leola) Buchanan of Idaho Falls; five stepsons, Roscoe Quinton of Iona, Idaho; George Quinton and Roy Quinton, both of Idaho Falls; Syl Whitney and Frank Whitney, both of Nisswa, Minn.; five step daughters, Mrs. Del (Verna) Pack, Mrs. Jay (Bertha) Bybee, Mrs. Alma (Mildred) Cromwell, all of Idaho Falls; Mrs. Chris (Eva) Anderson of Yukiah, Calif., an Mrs. A.Q. (Dorothy) Furest of Clarkston, Wash.; 40 grandchildren, 94 great grandchildren, and six great-great grandchildren. She was preceded in death by her husband, Jesse Quinton in 1976, a son, three sisters, six brothers, and a granddaughter.
- Funeral Services will be Saturday at 1 p.m. at Williams-Coltrin Funeral Home with Leo A Williams conducting. Family will meet with friends Friday from 7 to 8:30 p.m. at the funeral home and also one hour prior to services Saturday. Burial will be in Rose Hill Cemetery.
Lake Country Echo- Pequot Lakes, Minnesota Wednesday, January 24, 2007 2:36 PM on Wednesday, January 24, 2007 Frank H. Whitney Nisswa Frank H. Whitney, of Nisswa, died peacefully at home on Friday, Jan. 19, 2007. In accordance with his wishes, no services will be held. Frank is survived by Sally, his wife of 25 years; his children, Jeff (Julie) Rheude, Fridley, and Jeanne (Luis) Amaral, Indianapolis, Ind.; his grandsons, Troy Rheude and Ryan Rheude; and a sister, Mildred Cromwell, Idaho Falls, Idaho. He was preceded in death by his parents; two brothers, Clarence and Sylvester; and a sister, Dorothy. Services entrusted to Brenny Funeral Chapel of Baxter.
Children of Estel Ephram and Mabel U. (Johnson) Whitney:
i. Clarence Kenneth Whitney, b. 27 Sep 1908, Stearns County, MN; d. 29 Oct 1971, Minneapolis, MN. ii. Sylvester Joseph David Whitney, b. 21 Oct 1910, MN; d. 26 Oct 1988, Minneapolis, MN. iii. Dorothy E. Whitney, b. 18 Sep 1914, ND; d. 7 May 1994, Hamilton, Ravalli Co., MT. iv. Frank H. Whitney, b. 18 Dec 1916, ND; d. 19 Jan 2007, Nisswa, Crow Wing Co., MN. v. Mildred Loretta Whitney, b. 3 Sep 1919, ND; d. 10 Dec 2010, Idaho Falls, Bonneville Co., ID.
Children of Estel Ephram and Elizabeth "Bessie" (Williams) Whitney:
vi. Leola Levade Whitney, b. 22 Jun 1936, Idaho Falls, Bonneville Co., ID; d. 30 Oct 1997, Idaho Falls, Bonneville Co., ID.
Knew both Bessie and Leola personally, obituaries (including Leola Whitney, Sylvester Whitney, Frank Whitney, and Clarence Whitney, funeral fliers, 1930 Census