Family:Whitney, Forman J. (1832-1891)
Forman J.8 Whitney (Elisha Miller7, Nathan6, Hezekiah5, Hezekiah4, Joseph3, John2, Henry1), son of Elisha Miller7 and Helen Sophia (Forman) Whitney, was born 18 Nov 1832, Poughkeepsie, NY, and died 22 Jun 1891. He was buried in Green-Wood Cemetery, Brooklyn, NY.
He married, 6 Jun 1872, Bloomfield, NJ, Alice Sefronia Auents Hicks, daughter of William S. and Eliza A. (Van Wort) Hicks. She was born 16 Jun 1844, and died 18 Mar 1922. She was buried in Green-Wood Cemetery, Brooklyn, NY.
Phoenix says the following:
- "Forman Whitney, b. at Poughkeepsie, N.Y., 18 Nov. 1832; a lawyer; married at Bloomfield, N.J., 6 June 1872, Alice Hicks, dau. of William Hicks. His residence, in 1873, was Bloomfield, N.J., and his place of business, 150 Nassau Street, New York."
Children of Forman J.8 and Alice Sefronia Auents (Hicks) Whitney:
i. Jennie H.9 Whitney, b. 5 Sep 1873, Bloomfield, NJ; d. 27 Feb 1884; bur. Green-Wood Cemetery, Brooklyn, NY. ii. Eddie L. Whitney, b. 10 Jun 1875; d. 16 Mar 1886; bur. Green-Wood Cemetery, Brooklyn, NY. iii. Willie M. Whitney, b. 11 Apr 1881; d. 9 Jul 1881; bur. Green-Wood Cemetery, Brooklyn, NY. iv. Arthur F. Whitney, b. ca. Jul 1887; d. 24 May 1933, aged 45 years, 10 months; bur. Green-Wood Cemetery, Brooklyn, NY.
- 1860: not found.
- 1870: not found.
- 1880, 90 Ross St., Brooklyn, Kings Co., NY:
59 70 Whitney, Farman W M 40 mar Lawyer N.Y. N.Y. N.Y. -- Alice W F 28 Wife mar Keeps house N.Y. N.Y. N.Y. -- Jennie W F 6 Dau -- N.J. N.Y. N.Y. -- Edward W M 4 Son -- N.Y. N.Y. N.Y. McCarty, Bridget W F 45 Srvt sgl Servant Ireland Ireland Ireland
1900, 215 135th Street, New York, New York Co., NY, p. 2B, S.D. 1, E.D. 620: 8 42 Whitney, Alice Head W F Jun 1847 52 wid 1ch 1liv New York New York New York Capitalist House -----, Arthur Son W M Jun 1887 12 sgl New York New York New York At school 9 months Umlauf, Elfreida Srvt W F Oct 1879 20 sgl Germany Germany Germany Servant, Immig. 1889
- 1910, 125 West 111th St., Ward 12, Manhattan, New York, New York Co., NY, p. 4A, S.D. 1, E.D. 728:
8 138 Whitney, Arthur F. Head M W 22 sgl New York New York New York Correspondent, rents house -------, Alice Sis F W 63 wid 4ch1liv New York New York New York None
- 1920, 615 West 162nd St., Manhattan Assembly District 23, New York, New York Co., NY, p. 42B, S.D. 1, E.D. 1489:
43 984 Whitney, Arthur Head Rents M W 32 sgl literate New York New York New York Reporter Newspaper -------, Alice Mother F W 74 wid literate New York New York New York None
- 1930, 199-15 100th Ave., 4th Ward, Hollis, Queens County, NY, p. 8B, S.D. 34, E.D. 41-1255:
122 124 Whitney, Arthur F. Head Owns 13,000 Radio M W 43 mar 36 New York New York New York Manager Paper Co. Veteran of World War -------, Nina G. Wife F W 38 mar 31 New York England England None -------, Gloria Dau F W 4-6/12 sgl New York New York New York None
From Jana W. Miranda, Phoenix, AZ, e-mail, dated 15 Aug 2008 (see also Green-Wood Cemetery's web site):
- Burials at Green-Wood Cemetery, Brooklyn, NY:
- William S. Hicks (Alice's father) b. 6 Nov 1817 NYC, NY d. 4 Apr 1890 Bloomfield, NJ;
- Eliza A. Hicks (Alice's mother) b. 13 Dec 1820 NY d. 17 May 1882;
- Mary A. Hicks, wife of Robert Hicks (relation to Alice unclear and body moved from previous site at Cypress Hills Cemetery, Brooklyn on 10 Dec 1880) b. 31 May 1789 d. 24 Dec 1856
- Forman J. Whitney b. 18 Nov 1832 d. 22 Jun 1891
- Alice S. A. Whitney b. 6 Jun 1844 d. 18 Mar 1922
- Edw. D. Hicks (Alice's brother and also moved from previous site at Cypress Hills Cemetery, Brooklyn on 10 Dec 1880) b. 24 Nov 1855 d. 13 Dec 1858
- Addie D. Hicks (Alice's sister) b. 16 Jan 1851 d. 26 Jun 1880
- Willie M. Whitney (Alice's son, and I suspect his full name was William Marion after Alice's older brother) b. 11 Apr 1881 d. 9 Jul 1881
- Jennie H. Whitney (Alice's daughter and in your genealogy reference #13293) b. 5 Sep 1873 d. 27 Feb 1884
- Eddie L. Whitney (Alice's son) b. 10 Jun 1875 d. 16 Mar 1886
- Arthur F. Whitney died 24 May 1933 - 45 years, 10 months old (thus we can assume that he was born ca. July 1887 and I'm not positive that he was Alice's son, though it's quite possible)
- Mary A. Vail (Alice's paternal aunt) died 1 Mar 1896 - 88 years old
- Sophie Sammond (Alice's paternal aunt) died 25 Mar 1896 - 81 years old
- Also on the Green-Wood Cemetery lot deed was handwritten, next to the names of Eddie L. and Arthur F. Whitney "199-15-100 Ave. Hollis L.I." That may be an address in Long Island, but I don't know.
- Mr. and Mrs. Forman J. Whitney are also mentioned in an NY Times blurb about the wedding of my great-great grandparents 21 Feb 1882 at Pilgrim Baptist Church in NYC and in the obituary of her older brother, William Marion Hicks, which appeared 30 Nov 1908.
- All data imported from Stephen Whitney Phoenix, The Whitney family of Connecticut, and its affiliations; being an attempt to trace the descendants, as well in the female as the male lines, of Henry Whitney, from 1649 to 1878; to which is prefixed some account of the Whitneys of England. (New York : Priv. Print. [Bradford Press] 1878), p. 929 and p. 1827.