Family:Whitney, Giles Olin (1831-1908)
Giles Olin Whitney (Samuel L., David), son of Samuel L. and Catherine (Olin) Whitney, was born 1831, NY, and died 1908, Chippewa Falls, WI. He was buried in Chippewa County Poor Farm Cemetery, Chippewa Falls, WI.
He married firstly, about 1857, Ogle Co., IL, Rosalinda Wells, daughter of Peter and Polly (Delina) Wells. She was born about 1841, OH, and died after 1864.
He married secondly, 9 Jul 1865, DeKalb, IL, Angeline Lafe Hollister, daughter of Alanson and Sally (Goodrich) Hollister. She was born 27 Jan 1836, Wayne Co., PA, and died 11 Feb 1908, Salem, PA.
"Bio by T. Sundey. Sources - census, marriage, birth records and family lore.
- "Giles Olin Whitney was born in New York state in 1831, the third of four children born to Samuel L. and Catherine (Giles) Whitney. When Giles was 19 he moved with his parents and 88 year old grandfather, David Whitney, to Walworth Co., Wisconsin and then Ogle Co., Ill where they pursued farming.
- "About 1857 in Ogle Co., at age 27, he married Rosalinda Wells, 17, a daughter of neighbors Peter and Polly (Delina) Wells. Giles and Rose had two children, Ida born 1858 and Samuel 1859. About five years later Rose is gone. Either she died, or as family lore states, she walked away, leaving Giles with two small children.
- "Within a year Giles married his second wife, Angelina Lafe Hollister. They had four children - Henry Allen 1866 IL, George Jay 1868 WI, 1870 WI, and Emma Jane "Emily" 1872 WI. After their first child was born they moved to Wisconsin. After their last child, Emily, was born, about 1874 as per family, Giles moved his family to Butler County, Nebraska.
- "By 1880 Angelina has left them and is residing with her brother in Pennsylvania; the oldest child, Ida, is married and living in Butler Co.; son Samuel's whereabouts is unknown; three of the four young children are found living with neighbors, except Roselind, who moved in with her half sister, Ida and husband, all in Butler Co.
- "Possibly at this time Giles returned to Wisconsin. His location is unknown until the 1900 census where he is found to be 67 and working for the Matchette family at their hotel property and farm. In 1904 Mr. Matchette died. In the 1905 Wisconsin state census, Giles, age 73, resides with Albert Matchette, the son, and his family. By 1908 the Albert Matchette family had relocated to Virginia, but Giles is not with them.
- "It can be estimated that sometime between 1905 and 1908 Giles moved to the Chippewa County Poor Farm which was built in 1895. He is buried in the cemetery on this property. His headstone lists only his name and burial plot, but this indicates he was officially institutionalized there, as transients were buried without any information on their headstones. His 6 children and several generations later, for the most part, remained in Nebraska."
Children of Giles Olin and Rosalinda (Wells) Whitney:
i. Ida D. Whitney, b. 5 Sep 1858, Ogle Co., IL; m. 16 May 1879, Columbus, NE, Andrew Alvord Frisbie. ii. Samuel Whitney, b. 5 Dec 1859, Ogle Co., IL; d. aft. 1870.
Children of Giles Olin and Angeline Lafe (Hollister) Whitney:
iii. Henry Allen Whitney, b. 30 Dec 1866, Ogle Co., IL; m. Amelia J. "Millie" Flaxel. ii. George Jay Whitney, b. 22 Oct 1868, Albion, WI; m. Eva Esther Baer. v. Roselind L. Whitney, b. 15 Jul 1870, Albion, WI; d. 26 Mar 1950; unmarried; bur. Evergreen Home Cemetery, Beatrice, NE. vi. Emma Jane "Emily" Whitney, b. 1872, Albion, WI; m. 17 Mar 1898, Butler Co., NE, William J. Packard.
1239 1178 Samuel Whitney 59 M - Farmer 3000 600 N.Y. Catherine 43 F - Vt. Samuel Henry 21 M - N.Y. 1240 1179 Giles O. Whitney 29 M - Farmer 1000 200 " Rose 19 F - Ohio Ida 2 " - Ills. Samuel 6/12 M - " Isaac D. Thomas 16 M - Farm Laborer Penn.
20 20 Whitney, G. O. 39 M W Laborer New York Male citizen over 21 -----, A. L. 34 F W Penna. -----, Ida 12 F W Illinois -----, Samuel 10 M W Illinois -----, Henry 3 M W Illinois -----, G. J. 1 M W Wisconsin
- 1880: not found.
- 1880, Salem, Wayne Co., PA:
E. B. HOLLISTER 53 Self M M W PA Farmer CT CT Mary E. HOLLISTER 44 Wife F M W N Y Keeping House N Y N Y Jennie HOLLISTER 18 Dau F S W PA PA N Y Grove G. HOLLISTER 5 Son M S W PA PA N Y Angeline WHITNEY 44 Sis F M W PA Keeping House PA N Y Lina BURNS 35 SisL F M W KY VA KY Wilmarth SNOVER 22 Oth M S W PA Farm Hand N J N J
1880 U.S. Census, Summit, Butler, Nebraska, T9-0744, p. 79B Kellog C. BARTLETT 34 Self M S W IL Farmer MA MA Jay G. WHITNEY 11 Oth M S W WI Farm Laborer NY NY Wm. WORTHINGTON 39 Oth M S W PA Well Digger PA PA
Albert A. FRISBIE 29 Self M M W PA Farmer NY NY Ida FRISBIE 22 Wife F M W IL Keeping House NY IL Willie FRISBIE 4 Son M S W WI PA IL Harrie FRISBIE 7M Son M S W NE PA IL Rosa WHITNEY 9 Oth F S W WI NY IL
1880 U.S. Census, Summit, Butler, , T9-0744, p. 83A Jacob OLBRICK 35 Self M M W BAVARIA Farmer BAVARIA BAVARIA Margaret OLBRICK 32 Wife F M W BAVARIA Keeping House BAVARIA BAVARIA Jacob OLBRICK 8 Son M S W NE BAVARIA BAVARIA Gretchen OLBRICK 3 Dau F S W NE BAVARIA BAVARIA Emily WHITNEY 8 Oth F S W WI NY NY
41 44 Matchett, Ja. Head W M Mar 1852 48 mar 29 Canada Ireland England Farmer, Owns free farm -----, Ruth Wife W F Jan 1854 46 mar 29 6ch 6liv Wisconsin New York Michigan -----, Ruth Dau W F Dec 1886 13 sgl Wisconsin Canada Wisconsin At school -----, Clarance Son W M Sep 1889 10 sgl Wisconsin Canada Wisconsin At school Lane, George Neph W M May 1878 22 sgl Wisconsin Maine Wisconsin Day laborer Whitney, G. O. Srvt W M Feb 1833 67 sgl New York New York Vermont Day laborer
- 1905 State, Rusk, Chippewa Co., WI, pp. 147-148:
9 Matchette, Albert L. Head W M 32 mar Wisconsin Canada Wisconsin Farmer, Owns free farm -----, Mary Wife W F 28 mar Wisconsin Wisconsin Wisconsin -----, Lynn Son W M 9 sgl Wisconsin Wisconsin Wisconsin -----, Lois Dau W F 8 sgl Wisconsin Wisconsin Wisconsin -----, Gladys Dau W F 6 sgl Wisconsin Wisconsin Wisconsin Matchette, Fay Dau W F 3 sgl Wisconsin Wisconsin Wisconsin -----, Doris Dau W F 1 sgl Wisconsin Wisconsin Wisconsin Whitney, Olen G. Brdr W M 73 sgl New York New York New York Farm laborer
- 1910, Emerold St., New Haven, Huron Co., OH: Roselind Whitney, 39, b. WI, par. b. NY and PA, Servant, sister-in-law in family of Robert and Julia C. (Whitney) Welsh. Julia was daughter of Roselind's brother Henry, and so "sister-in-law" should read "aunt".
- 1920, North Pleasant Street, Russia, Lorain Co., OH: Rose Whitney, 49, b. WI, par. b. NY and PA, Servant, in family of William and Effie (Frost) Richardson.
- 1930, North Pleasant Street, Oberlin, Lorain Co., OH: Rose Whitney, 60, b. WI, par. b. NY and PA, Servant, in family of William R. and Effie A. (Frost) Richardson.
- 1935, Cedar Rapids, Boone Co., NE (per 1940 census).
- 1940, Nebraska Inst For Feeble Minded, Midland, Gage Co., NE: Rose L. Whitney, 70, b. WI.
- Census records.