Family:Whitney, Henry Austin (1826-1889)
Henry Austin8 Whitney (Joseph7, Joseph6, Samuel5, Benjamin4, Thomas3, Thomas2, John1), son of Joseph7 and Elizabeth (Pratt) Whitney, was born 6 Oct 1826, Boston, MA, and died 21 Feb 1889, Boston, MA, or Milton, MA, aged 62 years 4 months 15 days, of haemorrhagic pancreatitis (acute inflammation of pancreas with haemorrage).
He married, 3 Mar 1852, Boston, MA, Fanny Lawrence ("Mary F."), daughter of William and Susan R. (-----) Lawrence. She was born 19 Aug 1828, Boston, MA, and died 28 Jan 1883, Boston, MA, aged 54 years 6 months, of apoplexy.
A Boston paper published the following obituary: "President H. A. Whitney. Death of a noted financier and railroad operator. Henry A. Whitney, the banker and ex-president of the Boston & Providence railroad, died 21 Feb 1889, at 6 o'clock at his residence, 261 Marlboro street. Mr. Whitney was born in this city in 1826, and after receiving a public school education entered early in life into a course of commercial training. Entering Harvard he was graduated in the class of 1846. He became a banker, and invested his capital in railroad shares. He was a large holder in the Boston & Providence railroad, and succeeded W. W. Woolsey as president of the corporation. Last summer the road was absorbed by the Old Colony system. Mr. Whitney was a very able man." He was a prominent member of the Massachusetts Historical Society, and has privately printed the following works: "A Brief Account of the Descendants of John and Eleanor Whitney," 1857; "Incidents in the Life of Samuel Whitney," 1860; "An Account of the First Settlers of Hingham;" he resided Boston, MA.
For a memoir of him written by his son Joseph, see Whitney, Joseph Cutler, "Memoir of Henry Austin Whitney, A.M.", NEHGR, vol. XLV (1891), pp. 175-181.
He also authored the following works pertaining to the Whitney family:
- Whitney, Henry Austin, "The Descendants of John and Elinor Whitney, of Watertown, Mass.," NEHGR, vol. XI (1857), pp. 113-121, 225-230
- Whitney, Henry Austin, "Memoranda relating to the Ancestors of Samuel Whitney and their families." This was printed in three parts. It was not intended for distribution, but as a convenient way of preserving bulky manuscript, for future reference.
- Whitney, Henry Austin, "Appendix to first generation," 10 copies, 17 pages, royal 4to. Oct. 1858.
- Whitney, Henry Austin, "Appendix to third generation," 10 copies, 12 pages, royal 4to. Nov. 1858.
- Whitney, Henry Austin, "Appendix to fourth generation," 20 copies, 36 pages, royal 4to. Mar. 1859.
- Whitney, Henry Austin, Memoranda Relating to Families of the Name of Whitney in England, (Boston: 1859), 10 copies, 11 pages, royal 4to. 1859.
- Whitney, Henry Austin, Incidents in the Life of Samuel Whitney, born in Marlborough, Massachusetts, 1734, died at Castine, Maine, 1808, together with some account of his descendants, and other family memoranda. Collected by his great-grandson, Henry Austin Whitney. One hundred copies printed at the Riverside Press, Cambridge, for private distribution, 142 pages, royal 4to. (Boston, 1860)
- Whitney, Henry Austin, Wills relating to the name of Whitney in Buckinghamshire and Oxfordshire, England, 1549-1603, with a pedigree, 12 copies, 23 pages, royal 4to. 1865.
- Whitney, Henry Austin, [[Archive:The First Known Use of Whitney as a Surname|The First Known Use of Whitney as a Surname: Its Probable Signification, and Other Data 50 copies, 19 pages, royal 4to. (Boston, MA: Henry Austin Whitney, 1875)
- (prob.) Anonymous, Benjamin Whitney of Marlborough and Boston
Henry and Fanny are buried in Mount Auburn Cemetery, Cambridge, MA, with their son Hugh.
Children of Henry Austin8 and Fanny (Lawrence) Whitney:
i. Henry Lawrence9 Whitney, "Harrie Lawrence" b. 27 Oct 1853, Boston, MA; "Henry L." d. 23 Oct 1866, Milton, MA, aged 12 years 11 months 26 days, accidentally shot. ii. Joseph Cutler Whitney, b. 7 Dec 1856; m. Georgianna Hayward. iii. Ellerton Pratt Whitney, b. 21 Aug 1858, Boston, MA; m. Ellen Cushman Sargent. iv. Elizabeth Whitney, b. 23 Mar 1860, Boston, MA; d. 19 Feb 1903, Boston, MA, aged 42 years 10 months 27 days, of pneumonia; m. 30 Oct 1884, Milton, MA, Dr. James Jackson Minot, b. ca. 1852, West Roxbury, son of George R. and Harriet (-----) Minot; resided 188 Marlboro St., Boston. He was b. 11 Oct 1852, graduated at Harvard college, 1874, A. B.; Harvard college, 1878, M. D.; physician Carney Hospital; physician to out-patients Massachusetts General Hospital.
- Ch.: George Richards, b. 2 Dec 1885; James, b. Oct 1891.
v. Constance Whitney, b. 11 May 1865, Milton, MA (recorded at Boston, MA); m. 11 Sep 1890, Milton, MA, Franz Edouard Zerrahn, b. ca. 1858, Boston, MA, son of Carl and Charlotte (-----) Zerrahn; resided Blue Hill, MA. He was born in Boston, 1857; studied architecture at the Boston Institute of Sociology; architect by profession.
- Ch.: Constance, b. 21 Jun 1891.
vi. Hugh Whitney, b. 7 Sep 1870, Milton, MA (recorded at Boston, MA); m. Eleanor Shattuck.
218 357 Henry A. Whitney 27 M - Trader Mass. Fanny Whitney 24 F - Mass. Henry Whitney 2 M - Mass. Patrick McTear 22 M - Butler Ire. Abby Dennis 45 F - Mass. Ellen Sullivan 25 F - Ire. M. McMornock 40 F - Ire.
66 64 Henry Whiteney 34 M - Merchant $30000 - Mass. Fanny L. " 30 F - " Henry L. " 6 M - " Attended school Joseph C. " 4 M - " Elleston " 2 M - " Elizabeth " 2/12 F - " Wm. Averes 40 M B Servant Virginia Abigal Dennes 50 F - " Mass. Margaret McCulls 40 F - " Ireland Margaret Browne 26 F - " " Jane Barry 35 F - " Novascotia
391 614 Henry H. Whitney 40 M - Mass. M Shoe & Leather - - 1 1 - Fanny " 35 F - " M - - - - - Henry S. " 11 M - " S - - - - - Joseph C. " 9 M - " S - - - - - Eleton P. " 6 M - " S - - - - - Elizabeth " 4 F - " S - - - - - Margaret Brown 30 F - Scot. S Servant - - - - - Emma Herrick 20 F - Me. S " - - - - - Sarah Buck 35 F B S " - - - - - Sarah Small 40 F - Me. W " - - - - - Abagail Dennis 55 F - Mass. S Housekeeper - - - - -
137 201 Whitney, Henry A. 45 M W Shoe & Leather Dealer (Wh) $50000 $5000 Mass. Male citizen over 21 -----, Fannie 36 F W Keeping House do -----, Joseph C. 12 M W Attending School do Attended school -----, Ellerton P. 10 M W Attending School do Attended school -----, Bessie 8 F W Attending School do Attended school -----, Constance 5 F W At Home do Dennis, Abigail 66 F W House Keeper do Sawin, Frances 25 F W Seamstress Mass. Harris, Ada 48 F B Domestic Servant do Buck, Sarah 45 F B Domestic Servant do Illiterate Brown, William 35 M B Domestic Servant do Male citizen over 21 -----, Sarah 30 F B Domestic Servant do Edwards, James 25 M M Domestic Servant do Male citizen over 21
Henry A. WHITNEY 60 Self M M W MA Pres. B & Rov. R.R. MA MA Fannie L. WHITNEY 58 Wife F M W MA Keeping House MA MA Joseph C. WHITNEY 30 Son M S W MA MA MA Ellerton P. WHITNEY 24 Son M S W MA MA MA Bessie WHITNEY 19 Dau F S W MA MA MA Constance WHITNEY 15 Dau F S W MA MA MA Hugh WHITNEY 11 Son M S W MA MA MA Daniel A. MURRAY 40 Oth M M W IRE Domestic Serv. IRE IRE Ellen MURRAY 28 Oth F M W MA Domestic Serv. IRE IRE
This is a duplicate enumeration. See below.
Henry A. WHITNEY 54 Self M M W MA R. R. President MA MA Fanny L. WHITNEY 52 Wife F M W MA Keeps House MA MA Joseph C. WHITNEY 24 Son M S W MA Store Clerk MA MA Ellerton P. WHITNEY 22 Son M S W MA Store Clerk MA MA Elizabeth WHITNEY 20 Dau F S W MA Home MA MA Constance WHITNEY 15 Dau F S W MA School MA MA Hugh WHITNEY 10 Son M S W MA School MA MA William H. WALKER 22 Oth M S MU VA Servant VA VA Therese SANDT 32 Oth F S W PRU Servant PRU PRU Virginia LEACH 28 Oth F M B VA Servant VA VA George EVERSON 52 Oth M W MA Servant-Coachman MA MA Sarah BUCK 54 Oth F S B MA Servant VA MA Lucinda PETIT 46 Oth F W MU LA Servant VA VA
This is a duplicate enumeration. See above.
- All data imported from Frederick Clifton Pierce, The Descendants of John Whitney, Who Came from London, England, to Watertown, Massachusetts, in 1635, (Chicago: 1895), p. 534.
1.^ "Henry Austin [Whitney], [born] Oct. 6, 1826. G.R.3," according to Vital Records of Cambridge, Massachusetts, to the Year 1850 (Boston, MA: 1914-1915).
2.^ "Massachusetts Vital Records, 1841–1910," from original records held by the Massachusetts Archives. Online database: New England Historic Genealogical Society, 2004; volume 402, page 60, and volume 401, page 312.
5.^ "Massachusetts Vital Records, 1841–1910," from original records held by the Massachusetts Archives. Online database: New England Historic Genealogical Society, 2004; volume 348, page 28, and volume 347, page 269.