Family:Whitney, Homer Freeman (1874-1943)
Homer Freeman Whitney (John Leroy, Jacob M., James), son of John Leroy and Caroline E. (Dann) Whitney, was born 20 Mar 1874, Union Grove, Delaware Co., NY, and died 1943, Miami, Dade Co., FL. His burial site is unknown.
He married firstly, 28 Aug 1900, Lelah Bell White, born 12 Nov 1877, Colchester, Delaware Co., NY, daughter of Thomas E. and Melissa (Marshall) White.
He married secondly, Julia F. ________. She was born about 1875, London, England, immigrated with parents 1879, and died after 1940.
Mr. Whitney attended Stamford Seminary, Stamford, Delaware Co., NY, along with brothers Clarence and John. He became a teacher, and before 1910 he and his wife left Delaware County for Newburgh, Orange Co., NY, where both were teachers at a business school.
The last known connection with Mr. Whitney's parents and brothers was in late 1903. His father, John L. Whitney, noted in a letter to Homer's brother, John, "Homer and Lelah were here and spent a week--Christmas and New Year's." It is believed that Homer and Lelah divorced in the late 1910s.
The 1920 Federal Census documents second wife, Julia F., and residence in Valley Creek, Dallas Co., AL. By 1930 they were in Miami, FL, remaining there until Mr. Whitney's death in 1943.
There were no children from either marriage.
- 1880, Union Grove, Delaware Co., NY, in household of parents.
- 1892, Andes, Delaware Co., NY, New York State Census.
- 1900, Colchester, Delaware Co., NY:
Campbell, Sarah Head W F Whitney, Homer F. W M
- 1910, Newburgh, Orange Co., NY.
- 1920, Valley Creek, Dallas Co., AL.
- 1930, Precinct 9, Dade Co., FL.
- 1940, Miami, Dade Co., FL.
- Florida Death Index, 1877-1998, Florida Department of Health, Office of Vital Records, 1998.
- Letter dated Feb. 3, 1904, from John L. Whitney to John Howard Whitney.