Family:Whitney, Isaac Amsden (1805-1876)
He married, 1 Jan 1829, Orleans, NY, Jane Moore, daughter of Washington and Susanna (Rice) Moore. She was born 31 Jan 1806 and died 26 Mar 1889, Litchfield, MI, aged 83 years 1 month 26 days.
Both were buried in Saratoga Cemetery, Litchfield, MI.
He died Nov 1876; resided Alabama, Genesee Co., NY.
- "Isaac A. Whitney, the father of our subject, was the second child born to his parents, and grew to maturity in the county of his nativity, receiving a substantial education in a graded school. When twenty-six years of age he married Miss Jane Moore, who was born in Phelps Township, Ontario County, and there grew to womanhood. She was of mingled Scotch and Irish ancestry, and was a daughter of Washington and Susanna (Rice) Moore,
[p. 579] who were natives and lifelong residents of New York State. Her father took part in the battle of Buffalo, and was wounded while defending that city from the attempts of the British to destroy it during the War of 1812, and was afterward a pensioner of the United States. He carried on farming, and died in Phelps Township at the age of threescore years and ten. He and his wife were highly respected people, and consistent members of the Baptist Church.
- "After marriage Isaac Whitney and his wife immediately took up their abode in Alabama Township. Genesee County, where they built up a comfortable home, improved a good farm, and reared a family of nine children, seven sons and two daughters, all but one of whom married, and all except two are yet living. Those two died in the array, giving up their lives for their country. Loren was a member of Company F, 18th Michigan Infantry, and was the second man in his regiment to die, his death, which occurred in November, 1862, at Lexington, Ky., being caused by sickness. Frank, of the 10th New York Cavalry, died from starvation while a prisoner of war at the stockade near Milan, Ga., in 1864.
- "In 1866 the parents of our subject came to this county, locating in Litchfield Township, where the father died in 1876, at the age of seventy-one. He was a good business man and a successful farmer, and his strictly honorable and upright course throughout a long and useful life marked him as a man eminently worthy of the respect and confidence of his fellow-citizens, which, indeed, he enjoyed to a marked degree. He was an honest and sincere Christian, a Deacon of the Baptist Church, and in politics a faithful adherent of the Republican party. His widow lives on the homestead in Litchfield with her son Albert. Although eighty-two years old, she is hale and remarkably strong for one of her years, and a faithful Christian, belonging to the Baptist Church."
Children of Isaac Amsden7 and Jane (Moore) Whitney:
i. Loren Moore8 Whitney, b. 23 Apr 1830; m. Huldah P. Inglesbee. ii. Milton Whitney, b. 21 Oct 1831; m.(1) Mary Pepinger; m.(2) Rachel Locena Pratt. iii. Esther Whitney, b. 24 Jan 1835; m. 25 Dec 1850, Levi Inglesbee. iv. Washington Whitney, b. 25 Jan 1837; m. Julia A. Tuttle. v. Ami Whitney, b. 27 Dec 1838; m. Emma C. Strong. vi. William Henry Whitney, b. 18 Nov 1840; m. Eliza V. Tham/Thane. vii. Jane Ann Whitney, b. 8 Dec 1842; m. Henry Jennings. viii. Frank Whitney, b. 30 Dec 1844; d. 22 Oct 1864, while a prisoner of war, at Millen, GA, in a confederate prison. He served as a Corporal in Company E, 15th New York Cavalry. He has a stone in Saratoga Cemetery, Litchfield, MI. He also has a stone in West Woodbridge Cemetery, Camden, MI. ix. Isaac Albert Whitney, b. 28 Sep 1847; m. Laura West.
- 1830, Alabama, Genesee Co., NY: Isaac Whitney, 2 males 20-29, 1 male 0-4, and 1 female 20-29.
- 1840, Alabama, Genesee Co., NY: Isaac A. Whitney, 1 male 30-39, 2 males 5-9, 2 males 0-4, 1 female 30-39, and 2 females 5-9; 1 engaged in agriculture.
- 1850, Alabama, Genesee Co., NY:
1612 1697 Isaac A. Whitney 44 M - Farmer $3400 N.Y. Jane " 44 F - N.Y. Milton " 19 M - Farm Laborer N.Y. Attended school Esther " 15 F - N.Y. Attended school Washington " 12 M - N.Y. Attended school William " 10 M - N.Y. Attended school Jane " 8 F - N.Y. Attended school Frank " 6 M - N.Y. Attended school Albert " 3 M - N.Y.
55 51 Isaac A. Whitney 54 M - Farmer $5560 $1200 N.Y. Jane Whitney 54 F - " William " 20 M - Farm Laborer " Frank " 15 M - " Attended school Albert " 12 M - " Attended school
219 220 Whitney, I. A. 64 M W Farmer $7200 $2000 New York Male citizen over 21 -----, Jane 64 F W Keeping House New York -----, Albert 22 M W Farm Hand New York Male citizen over 21 -----, Laura Ann 20 F W Doing House work New York -----, Caroline 1/12 F W Michigan Born in May Wait, Allace 21 F W Doing House work New York
Albert I. WHITNEY 32 Self M M W NY Farmer NY NY Laura A. WHITNEY 30 Wife F M W NY Keeping House NY NY Jennie L. WHITNEY 10 Dau F S W MI At School NY NY Emmett A. WHITNEY 5 Son M S W MI NY NY Jane WHITNEY 74 Moth F W W NY At Home NY NY
- All data imported from Frederick Clifton Pierce, The Descendants of John Whitney, Who Came from London, England, to Watertown, Massachusetts, in 1635, (Chicago: 1895), p. 417.