Family:Whitney, Jabez (1780-c1839)
Jabez6 Whitney (Phineas5, Isaac4, Nathaniel3, Benjamin2, John1), son of Phineas5 and Anna (Morton) Whitney, was born 22 Mar 1780, at someplace after the family left Gorham, ME, and before it settled in North Yarmouth, and died before Feb 1840 when probate was initiated, perhaps as early as Jun 1839, Columbus, Adams County, IL.
Marriage intentions were published 11 Feb 1804, North Yarmouth, ME, for him and Abigail Wheeler "of Chesterville". He married, 11 March 1804, North Yarmouth, ME, or 2 Apr 1804, Chesterville, ME, Abigail Milk Wheeler, daughter of John and Mary "Mollie" (Ingraham) Wheeler. She was born 12 Aug 1784, York, ME, and died 20 Oct 1873, Adams County, IL.
The family lived in Chesterville until after the 1810 census. They are found in the tax records of Athens County, OH, in the middle of the decade and in 1820 are enumerated in the newly formed Meigs County, OH. In about 1836, Jabez and family moved to Adams County, OH, accompanied by the families of their married daughters Lydia (Whitney) Castle, Mary (Whitney) Davis and Thankful (Whitney) Cartwright. Jabez bought a lot in Columbus, Adams County, IL, in 1837 and was then said to be of Schuyler County.
Children of Jabez6 and Abigail Milk (Wheeler) Whitney:
i. Joseph Ingram7 Whitney, b. 1805, Chesterville, ME; m. Emaline W. Morgan. ii. Lydia Whitney, b. 8 Aug 1806, Chesterville, ME, d. 28 Feb 1874 near Camp Point, Adams Co., IL; m. 10 May 1827, Meigs Co., OH, Philander Castle, b. 15 Oct 1799, Litchfield, Rutland Co., VT, and d. 14 Apr 1886 near Camp Point, Adams Co., IL. iii. Thankful Whitney, b. 26 Apr 1809, Chesterville, ME, or 7 Jan 1806, Augusta, ME; d. 26 Apr 1894 at the home of her daughter, Lucy Campbell, in Quincy IL; m.(1) 29 Apr 1827, Meigs Co., OH, John M. Cartwright, son of William and Mary (Hoyt) Cartwright; m.(2) 16 Mar 1852, Adams Co., IL, John Golden. iv. Lucinda Whitney, b. ca. 1811, Chesterville, ME; d. 15 Mar 1886, Honey Creek Township, Adams Co., IL. She m.(1) 22 Nov 1838, Adams Co., IL, John Atkinson; m.(2) after 1886, Philander Castle. v. Mary Whitney, b. ca. 1813, Chesterville, ME; d. probably Honey Creek Township, Adams Co., IL; m. 21 Mar 1833, Meigs Co., OH, Joseph Davis. vi. Ann(e) Whitney, b. 1817, Athens Co., OH; d. 1890, Adams Co., IL; m. 16 Dec 1838, Adams Co., IL, Thomas Pearl. vii. Elsey Whitney, b. after 1819, Meigs Co., OH. viii. John Wheeler Whitney, b. Apr 1820, Meigs Co., OH; m. Martha Jane Riggins. ix. Miranda Cordelia Whitney, b. ca. 1826, Meigs Co., OH; d. after 1859, CA.
- 1800: not found.
- 1810, Chesterville, Kennebec Co., ME: Jabez Whitney, 1 male 26-44, 1 male 0-9, 1 female 16-25, and 2 females 0-9.
- 1820, Orange, Meigs Co., OH: Jabez Whitney, 1 male 26-44, 1 male 16-17, 1 male 0-9, 1 female 26-44, 2 females 10-14, and 3 females 0-9; 2 engaged in agriculture.
- 1830, Bedford, Meigs Co., OH: Jabez Whitney, 1 male 50-59, 1 male 10-14, 1 female 40-49, 2 females 15-19, 1 female 10-14, 1 female 5-9, and 1 female 0-4.
- 1840, widow Abigail apparently living with son John, Quincy, Adams Co., IL.
- 1850, Gilmore, Adams Co., IL:
143 146 Thomas Peart 44 M - Plasterer $1000 Eng. Anne " 34 F - N.Y. Ann E. " 9 F - " Abigail Whitney 64 F - Mo. Giles Castle 22 M - Brick Mason O.
Widow Abigail is living with her daughter Anne and family. "Mo." is an error for "Me."
917 917 Thomas Peart 55 M - Farmer Eng. Ann 43 F - N.Y. Elizabeth 19 F - Ill. Abagail Withey 76 F - Me.
Widow Abigail is living with her daughter Anne and family.</p>
17 17 Paret, Thomas 64 M W Farmer $3400 -- England Parents foreign born, Male citizen over 21 Ann 52 F W Keeping House New York Whitney, Abigal 85 F W Maine
Widow Abigail is living with her daughter Anne and family.
For additional information, see the article Archive:Who Was Jabez Whitney.
- Marriage certificate for Jabez Whitney and Abigail Wheeler 9 March 1804; Chesterville Town Records MBD, Microfilm @ Maine State Archives, Augusta, Maine
- Probate records for Jabez Whitney, Adams County, Illinois, Box 5, Case 102. Joseph I. Whitney, executor
- Probate records for Phinehas Whitney, Somerset County, Maine, Volume 7, 1832-1836, pages 1-5 and 211 (inventory): FHL film number 0012197
- Minnesota Death Index, death certificate 1912-MN-013263 John Wheeler Whitney
1.^ "Jabez [Whitney] and Abigail Wheeler, of Chesterville, int. 11 Feb. 1804," according to Sherman, Ruth Wilder, comp., Vital records of North Yarmouth, Maine to the year 1850 (Rockport, Me.: Picton Press, 1993).