Family:Whitney, James (1793-1855)
James6 Whitney (Stephen5, Abraham4, Joseph3, John2, Henry1), son of Stephen5 and Esther (Jarvis) Whitney, was born 20 Mar 1793, Kent, CT, and died 16 Apr 1855, Poundridge, NY, aged 63 years, buried St. Mark's Cemetery, New Canaan, CT.
He married, 28 Dec 1815, South Salem, NY, Margaret Lewis, daughter of John and Margaret (Hayes) Lewis. She was born 4 May 1796, South Salem, NY, and died 13 Jan 1869, Norwalk, OH.
Phoenix says the following:
- ". . . a farmer; settled with his mother in New Canaan, Conn., and was living there when he married, . . . . They settled at Poundridge, N.Y., where he died, . . . . She moved, in 1829, with her children, to Dewitt, N. Y., where she lived with her brother, Charles Lewis, till 1841, when, with her youngest son, Augustus Waters Whitney, she moved to Norwalk, Ohio, dwelling with her brother, Samuel B. Lewis, till 1845. She then bought a tract of heavily timbered land, upon which she and her son settled, and built a comfortable home; and there she died, 13 Jan. 1869, and was buried in Woodlawn Cemetery, Norwalk. She was a communicant of the Protestant Episcopal Church, and a consistent Christian."
Children of James6 and Margaret (Lewis) Whitney:
i. Isaac Lewis7 Whitney, b. 22 Apr 1817, Poundridge, NY; m. Elizabeth Turner. ii. Augustus Whitney, b. 27 Nov 1818, Poundridge, NY; d. 23 Sep 1823. iii. Ester Margaret Whitney, b. 25 Apr 1821 (twin), Poundridge, NY; d. 15 Sep 1823, Poundridge, NY, of dysentery, and was buried in New Canaan, CT. iv. Margaret Esther Whitney, b. 25 Apr 1821 (twin), Poundridge, NY; d. 11 Sep 1823, Poundridge, NY, of dysentery, and was buried in New Canaan, CT. v. Augustus Waters Whitney, b. 2 Jul 1824, Poundridge, NY; m. Almaria Juliet Wait.
- 1820, Pound Ridge, Westchester Co., NY: James Witney, 1 male 26-44, 2 males 0-9, 1 female over 45, and 1 female 16-25; 1 engaged in manufacture or trades.
- 1830, Pound Ridge, Westchester Co., NY: James Whitney, 1 male 30-39, and 1 female 70-79.
- 1830, Manlius, Onondaga Co., NY: Margaret Whitney, 1 male 20-29, 1 male 15-19, 1 male 10-14, 1 male 5-9, and 1 female 30-39.
- 1840, Poundridge, Westchester Co., NY: James Whitney, 1 male 40-49, 1 female 80-89, and 1 female 15-19; 1 engaged in agriculture.
- 1850, Norwalk, Huron Co., OH:
471 483 Augustus W. Whitney 25 M - Farmer $920 N.Y. Married in year Mariah Whitney 19 F - " Married in year Margaret Whitney 54 F - Conn.
631 637 Augustus W. Whitney 34 M - Farmer $1800 $500 New York Almina J. " 29 F - " Geo. " 9 M - Ohio Attended school Louise " 7 F - " Attended school Ida " 5 F - " Attended school James " 3 M - " Mary Ann " 9/12 F - " Margaret " 64 F - Connecticut
- All data imported from Stephen Whitney Phoenix, The Whitney family of Connecticut, and its affiliations; being an attempt to trace the descendants, as well in the female as the male lines, of Henry Whitney, from 1649 to 1878; to which is prefixed some account of the Whitneys of England. (New York : Priv. Print. [Bradford Press] 1878), p. 156 and pp. 423-424.