Family:Whitney, Joel (b1755-a1820)
Joel Whitney, parentage uncertain, born before 1755, and died after 1790.
He is perhaps identical to Joel6 Whitney (Jeremiah5 Whitney, Nathan4, Thomas3, Thomas2, John1), son of Jeremiah5 and Elizabeth (Farr) Whitney, who was born 8 Jan 1750/1, Stow, MA. On 8 Feb 1765, Stow, MA, he chose Mr. Jeremiah Holman of Bolton as his guardian; on 25 Jun 1765, Stow, MA, Jeremiah Holman of Bolton, Worcester Co., was appointed guardian of Joel Whitney, in his 15th year, son of Jeremiah Whitney, late of Stow, and posted bond with Azubah Whitney of Stow, widow, as surety.
He married firstly, 16 Nov 1775, Chesterfield, NH, Mary Fisher, parentage, birth, and death unknown.
He married secondly, 26 Sep 1805, Chesterfield, NH, Edee (Holden) Farwell, daughter of Philemon and Lucy (Walker) Holden. She was born 10 Jun 1755, Shirley, MA. She had married firstly, 27 Aug 1774, Groton, MA, Benjamin Farwell of Chesterfield, NH.
He was listed, along with Ephraim Whitney and Lt. Ephraim Whitney, in 1776, on a list of inhabitants of Chesterfield, NH.
He served as a private in Lieut. Oliver Cobleigh's company, Col. Ashley's regiment, from Chesterfield in the Revolutionary War.
Children of Joel and Mary (Fisher) Whitney, possibly incomplete:
i. Joel Whitney, Jr., b. 21 Feb 1777, Chesterfield, NH; m. Mary Wheeler. ii. Nabbe Whitney, b. 19 May 1786, or 9 Mar 1785, Chesterfield, NH; d. 5 Apr 1862, Littleton, NH; m.(1) 1806, Titus Farr, of Littleton, b. 9 Jul 1784, Chesterfield, NH, son of Ebenezer and Mary (Titus) Farr, d. 10 May 1872, Littleton, NH; m.(2) Mar 1835, Joseph Farr, b. 16 Jul 1788, Chesterfield, NH, son of Ebenezer and Mary (Titus) Farr, d. 29 Mar 1874, Littleton, NH.
Children of Joel and Edee (Holden)(Farwell) Whitney, if any, unknown.
There is another Joel Whitney with wife Mary Weston who must be distinguished from this family. That man died in 1791, whereas this one was still alive in 1820.
- 1790, Chesterfield, Cheshire Co., NH: Joel Whitney, 1 male over 16, 1 male 0-15, and 2 females.
- 1800: not found.
- 1810, Chesterfield, Cheshire Co., NH: Joel Whitney, 1 male over 45 and 1 female over 45.
- 1820, Chesterfield, Cheshire Co., NH: Joel Whitney, 1 male over 45 and 1 female over 45; 1 engaged in agriculture.
- 1830, Chesterfield, Cheshire Co., NH: Ede Whitney, 1 female 70-79.
- Oran E. Randall, History of Chesterfield, Cheshire County, N.H. : from the incorporation of "Township Number One" by Massachusetts in 1736, to the year 1881 : together with family histories and genealogies (Brattleboro, Vt.: D. Leonard, printer., 1882), p. 490.