Family:Whitney, John (1792-1863)
John6 Whitney (Barnabas5, Isaac4, Nathaniel3, Benjamin2, John1), son of Barnabas5 and Sarah R. (Walker) Whitney, was born 17 Mar 1792, Freeman, ME (but see note below), and died 6 May 1863, Freeman, ME. Pierce say he was born in Pawlet, ME.
Marriage intentions were published 27 Nov 1825, Freeman, ME, for him and his first wife, Martha Butterfield. She was born Mar 1798, Chesterville, ME, and died 10 Apr 1838, Freeman, ME.
He married secondly, 1 Dec 1839, Freeman, ME, Eliza Newell of North Portland, ME, daughter of Ebenezer and Elizabeth (Jackson) Newell. She was born 4 Feb 1802, and died after 1860.
He was in the war of 1812; resided in Maine.
John and Martha are buried in the North Freeman Cemetery, Freeman, ME.
Children of John6 and Martha (Butterfield) Whitney (possibly incomplete):
i. Sally W.7 Whitney, b. 25 Nov 1826, prob. Freeman, ME. ii. John Alfred Whitney, b. 21 July 1830; was in the war of 1861. iii. Jesse B. Whitney, b. 1834, Freeman, ME; was a Civil War veteran.
Children of John6 and Eliza (Newell) Whitney:
iv. Sarah E.7 Whitney, b. 1841, prob. Freeman, ME; "of Freeman" m. (int. 13 Feb 1865, Durham, ME) 22 Feb 1865, Durham, ME, Israel Newell of Durham, ME.
John's father Barnabas resided in Freeport, ME in 1790, and settled in Pownal after his marriage. He didn't remove to Freeman until 1808. Therefore, John could not have been born in Freeman, ME.
- 1820, Freeman, Somerset Co., ME: John Whitney, 1 male 26-44, 1 female 26-44, and 1 female 10-15; 1 engaged in agriculture.
- 1830, Freeman, Somerset Co., ME: John Whitney, 1 male 30-39, 1 male 0-4, 1 female 30-39, 1 female 10-14, 1 female 5-9, and 1 female 0-4.
- 1850, Freeman, Franklin Co., ME:
146 155 John Whitney 58 M - Farmer $1000 Me. Eliza Whitney 48 F - " John A. Whitney 19 M - Farmer " Attended school Jesse B. Whitney 16 M - Farmer " Attended school Sarah E. Whitney 9 F - " Attended school
323 326 John Whitney 68 M - Farmer $300 $200 Maine Eliza Whitney 58 F - Maine Jesse B. Whitney 26 M - Farmer $200 -- Maine Sarah E. Whitney 19 F - Tea. of Com. School Maine
- All data imported from Frederick Clifton Pierce, The Descendants of John Whitney, Who Came from London, England, to Watertown, Massachusetts, in 1635, (Chicago: 1895), p. 233.
- Thompson, George A. and Thompson, F. Janet, A Genealogical History of Freeman, Maine 1796-1938 in Three Volumes, Volume 3 (Bowie, Maryland: Heritage Books, 1996), p. 291-300.
1.^ "Israel Newell of Durham and Sarah E. Whitney of Freeman, [intentions] 13 February 1865," and "Israel Newell and Sarah E. Whitney of Freeman, m. 22 February 1865," according to Durham, Maine, Vital Records.