Family:Whitney, John (1793-1849)
John7 Whitney (Phinehas6, Samuel5, William4, Nathaniel3, John2, John1), son of Phinehas6 and Elizabeth (Rand) Whitney, was born 25 Jul 1793, Westminster, MA, and died 6 Jan 1849, Waterford, Washington Co., OH.
He married 1 Mar 1821, Washington Co., OH, Sarah Chapman, both of Waterford, daughter of Nathaniel and Lucy (Cooley) Chapman. She was born 23 Apr 1803, Longmeadow, MA, and died 7 Nov 1885, Posley, Page Co., IA, aged 83 years.
She married secondly, 24 Feb 1853, Washington Co., OH, George Fosset Brown, son of Moses and Mary (Owen) Brown, born 9 May 1801, Cayuga Lake district, NY, died 14 Jul 1868, Posley, IA. He had married firstly, Julia Ann Parcel (1809-1851).
Sarah was a half-sister of John "Johnny Appleseed" Chapman.
1827 Tax List, Waterford Twp, Washington Co., OH--people listed are John
1831 Tax List, Waterford Twp, Washington Co., OH--People listed John Whitney
1839 Tax List, Waterford Twp, Washington Co., OH--People listed John Whitney
John WHITNEY listed on the 1840 Census, Washington County, Ohio in Waterford Twp.? According to the census there was 2 males under 5, 2 males 5-10, 1 male 10-15, 1 male 15-20, and 1 male 40-50, 1 female 5-10, 1 female 10-15 and 1 female 20-30.
Deed: 21 Aug 1840; vol. 31, p. 545; John Whitney and Sarah of Monroe Co. to John Anderson of Washington Co.; $1050; W 1/2 NE 1/4 of Sec 16 Twp 2 R 5, 80 acres; NW 1/4 of NW 1/4 of Sec 10 Twp 2 R 5, 40 acres
Deed: 1 Mar 1843; vol. 34, p. 90; John Whitney of Washington Co. to Nathaniel Chapman of New Kingman Co.; $127; 100 acres; W 1/2 of Lot 14 in Elk Run; known as Stevens Lot; AND part of Lots 10 and 16 in Twp 5 R 10 of Ohio Company Purchase.
John was buried in Round Bottom Cemetery, Washington County, OH.
"Biography of Henry R. Whitney the son of John and Sarah Chapman Whitney (History of Page County, Iowa) stated John and Sarah Chapman Whitney were the parents of eleven children. Have information on all the children you have mentioned except Mary Jane. Sarah married in 1853 as her second husband George Fosset Brown. They migrated about 1857 to Henry County, Illinois, where she purchased property. Later they purchased property in Page County, Iowa, where George F. Brown died. Sarah returned to Ohio, where she was buried in 1883 in Beverly, Washington County, Ohio as wife of George F. Brown." according to a message from Una A. Bowman
In 1850 Washington Co., Waterford Twp. there is a Sarah Whitney enumerated as Head of Household. Amirrlah, John R., Boulston, Henry, Eliza S., George B., and James G. are listed with her.
If she appears in the 1880 Census, the record of it hasn't been found.
From Biographical Album of Johnson & Pawnee Counties Nebraska. In a biographical sketch of John R. Whitney is the following paragraph:
- "The 5th of July, 1832, witnessed the birth of our subject in Washington County, Ohio, at the modest home of his parents, John and Sarah (Chapman) Whitney. They were of New England birth and parentage, and came of a patriotic race, who were found in the ranks of the American soldiery during the struggles of the infant Republic in its assertion of independence. Nathaniel Chapman, a maternal uncle of our subject, especially distinguished himself in the War of 1812. To John and Sarah Whitney there were born eleven children, of whom the following survive, namely: William, a resident of Henry County, Ill.; Advent, of St. Louis, Mo.; Mary J., living in Colorado; Amarilla, the wife of Randolph Coburn, of Morgan County, Ohio; John R., our subject; Boilston S., of Page County, Iowa, where Henry and George B. also reside; Eliza S., now Mrs. Johnson, who resides in Bennet, Lancaster Co., Neb. The two deceased are Nathaniel and James G., who died in Dakota and Ohio, when about fifty and thirty-three years, respectively. Nathaniel was a physician, and James a minister. The father departed this life at his home in Ohio, Jan. 6, 1849, when middle aged. The mother twenty years later contracted a second marriage, with George Brown, of Ohio, was again left a widow, and remained so until her death. She died at the home of her daughter in Ohio, Nov. 7, 1885, when nearly eighty-three years of age."
Western Massachusetts Families in 1790. (Original Online Database: AmericanAncestors.org, New England Historic Genealogical Society, 2012. (From various authors, Helen S. Ullmann, FASG, ed.)
"CHAPMAN, NATHANIEL, 1 - 2 - 2 - 0 - 0, LONGMEADOW, HAMPSHIRE COUNTY, by Judy Bedford
"Children of Nathaniel and Lucy (Cooley) Chapman, born at Longmeadow:
xiii. SALLY CHAPMAN, b, 3 April 1803;58 d. 7 Nov. 1883, aged 80, bur. in Round Bottom Cemetery at Coal Run, Waterford Twp., Washington Co.;59 m.(1) in Washington Co. 1 March 1821, JOHN WHITNEY,60 b. at Westminster, Worcester Co., 25 July 1793, son of Phineas and Elizabeth (Rand) Whitney.61 He d. 6 Jan. 1849 in his 56th year, bur. in Round Bottom Cemetery.62 Sally m.(2) in Washington Co. 24 Feb. 1853, GEORGE FOSSETT BROWN of Morgan Co., Ohio,63 b. 9 May 1801, d. July 11, 1870, aged 67 years 2 months 31 days, bur. in Polsley Cemetery at Yorktown, Lincoln Twp., Page Co., Iowa.64 In 1870 George F. Brown, 58 [sic], b. Penn., and Sarah, 65, b. Mass., lived at Harlan, Page Co.65 Sarah apparently returned to Ohio and lived with her dau. Amarilla Coburn.66
59 Elijah Hayward, Cemetery Inscriptions in Washington County (Columbus, Ohio: State Library of Ohio, 1988), Round Bottom Cemetery, 43, as "Sally Brown."
60 Graham and Cottle, Washington County, Ohio, Marriages, 78.
61 Vital Records of Westminster, Massachusetts, to the End of the Year 1849 (Worcester, Mass.: Franklin P. Rice, 1908), 98 (birth), 202 (parents' marriage); Frederick Clifton Pierce, Whitney, The Descendants of John Whitney . . . Watertown, Massachusetts, in 1635 (Chicago, Ill.: W. B. Conkey Co., 1895), 148.
62 Hayward, Cemetery Inscriptions in Washington County, 43.
63 Image online in Ohio Marriages, 1890-1950, at FamilySearch.org, his middle name from his gravestone.
64 Photograph of the gravestone and of George himself at findagrave.com. This entry contains a long annotation.
65 1870 U.S. Census, Harlan, Page Co., Iowa, roll 414, p. 431.
66 Lynn Alber file at WorldConnect, extensive notes viewed online on 3 February 2012 at http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&db=:2713656&id=I584884465."
Children of John and Sarah (Chapman) Whitney:
i. William Whitney, b. 13 May 1823, Waterford, OH; m. Jane Cheffey. ii. Mary Jane Whitney, b. 26 May 1825, Waterford, OH; m. Madison Smith. iii. Advent Whitney, b. ca. 1827, Waterford, OH; m.(1) Rebecca Hall; m.(2) Leonora/Sophia Knox. iv. Amarilla Chapman Whitney, b. 22 Mar 1830, Waterford, OH; m. Randolph Coburn. v. Boylston Samuel Whitney, b. 31 Mar 1831, Waterford, Ohio; m.(1) Margaret Bush; m.(2) Keziah W. Bush. vi. John Reed Whitney, b. 5 Jul 1832, Waterford, OH; m.(1) Lucinda Maltby Heiner; m.(2) Julie Elrod Biggs. vii. Nathaniel Chapman Whitney, b. 15 May 1834, Waterford, OH; m. Catherine A. Shires. viii. Henry Harrison Whitney, b. 18 Jun 1838, Waterford, OH; m. Elizabeth Anderson. ix. Elizabeth Shaw Whitney, b. 1840, Waterford, OH; m. Abraham William Johnson. x. George B. Whitney, b. about 1842, Waterford, OH; d. about 1915, Posley, Page Co., IA. xi. James G. Whitney, b. about 1844, Waterford, OH; d. 16 Aug 1874. Served in the Civil War.
Children of George Fosset and Julia Ann (Parcel) Brown, if any, unknown.
George Fosset and Sarah (Chapman)(Whitney) Brown had no children.
- 1830, Waterford, Washington Co., OH: John Whitney, 1 male 30-39, 1 male 5-9, 1 male 0-4, 1 female 20-29, 1 female 5-9, and 1 female 0-4.
- 1840, Waterford, Washington Co., OH: John Whitney, 1 male 40-49, 1 male 15-19, 1 male 10-14, 2 males 5-9, 2 males 0-4, 1 female 40-49, 1 female 15-19, and 1 female 5-9; 2 engaged in agriculture.
- 1850, Waterford, Washington Co., OH:
164 164 Sarah Whitney 47 F - Massachusetts Amirelah Whitney 20 F - Ohio John R. Whitney 18 M - Farmer Ohio Baulston Whitney 14 M - Do Henry Whitney 12 M - Do Eliza S. Whitney 10 F - Do George B. Whitney 8 M - Do James G. Whitney 6 M - Do
- 1860, Clover, Henry Co., IL:
82 67 George Brown 57 M - Farmer $350 N.Y. Sarah " 59 F - Wife Mass. George W. " 18 M - Farm Laborer Ohio Jas. " 16 M - " " Hiram Brown 11 M - Penna. Attended school
868 868 Whitney, Henry H. 32 M W Farmer $1000 $400 Ohio Male citizen over 21 -----, Elizabeth 31 F W Keeping House Ohio Father foreign born -----, Lizella 9 F W Illinois Attended school -----, James M. 7 M W Ohio Attended school -----, Sarah F. 2 F W Iowa -----, George B. 27 M W Farm Hand Ohio Male citizen over 21 869 869 Brown, George F. 58 M W Farmer $800 -- Pennsylvania Male citizen over 21 -----, Sarah 65 F W Keeping House Massachusetts
449 449 Whitney, James G. 26 M W Retired farmer Ohio Male citizen over 21 -----, Mary A. 24 F W Keeping house Ohio -----, James F. 1 M W Illinois
- 1880: not found.
- 1880, Washington, Page Co., IA:
Henry H. WHITNEY 41 Self M M W OH Farmer VT MA Elizabeth WHITNEY 40 Wife F M W OH Keeping House IRE NJ Lizella WHITNEY 19 Dau F S W IL Without Occupation OH OH James W. WHITNEY 17 Son M S W OH At Home OH OH Florence WHITNEY 11 Dau F S W IA At Home OH OH Harry H. WHITNEY 8 Son M S W IA OH OH George B. WHITNEY 37 Bro M S W OH Farm Laborer VT MA Daniel W. FLICKINGER 25 Oth M S W PA Farmer PA PA
- 1880, widow Mary A. and son James F. not found.
- 1900, Shenandoah city, Grant Township, Page Co., IA:
97 104 Flickinger, Daniel W. Head W M Jul 1855 44 mar 19 Pennsylvania Pennsylvania Pennsylvania Landlord, Owns free house -----, El[len] Wife W F Nov 1860 39 mar 19 1ch 1liv Iowa Ohio Ohio -----, Jennie E. Dau W F Oct 1882 17 sgl Iowa Pennsylvania Ohio At school Whitney, George B. Brdr W M Aug 1843 56 sgl Ohio Ohio Ohio
George is living with his niece [Liz]ella (Whitney) Flickinger, daughter of Henry.
Almost all information from the research of Lynne Alber, on these three web pages:
- "Online Family Tree, by Ancestry.com", family group sheet of Phinehas and Elizabeth (Rand) Whitney.
- "Online Family Tree, by Ancestry.com", family group sheet of John and Sarah (Chapman) Whitney.
- "Online Family Tree, by Ancestry.com", family group sheet of Abraham William and Elizabeth Shaw (Whitney) Johnson.