Family:Whitney, Joseph (1710-a1788)
He married, 27 Jul 1736, Charleston, SC, Mary Coit, parentage, birth, and death unknown.
Phoenix says the following:
- ... m. Mary Coit, as we learn from the following certificate:
- These are to certify whom it may concern, that, on the twenty-seventh day of July, this present year of our Lord, Joseph Whitne and Mary Coyt were joyned together in marriage, according to the rites and ceremonies of the Church of England, by the Reverend Mr. Alexander Garden, Rector of the Parish of St. Philip, of Charlestown, in the sd. Province, as appears by the Register's book of sd. parish.
- Given under our hand and seal at Charlestown, the second day of August, and year of our Lord one Thousand seven hundred and thirty-six. A. GARDEN, Min'r.
- JAMES FOWLER, Church Wardens.
- EDWARD HEXT,
- Recorded by me, Elnathan Hanford, Register.
- He was living at Norwalk, 1 May 1775, when he deeded forty rods of his home-lot, "for and in consideration of the parental love, good will, and affection which I have and do beare toward my Loving Son-in-law, Hanford Fairweather, and my daughter, Mary, his wife, of said Norwalk." So also, 11 Feb. 1788, when he gave another deed to "my loving daughter, Mary, wife to Hanford Fairweather."
- The dates of their death have not been found.
Children of Joseph4 and Mary (Coit) Whitney:
- 1790: not found. NOT living with son-in-law Hanford Fairweather.
- 1800: not found.
1.^ Stephen Whitney Phoenix, The Whitney family of Connecticut, and its affiliations; being an attempt to trace the descendants, as well in the female as the male lines, of Henry Whitney, from 1649 to 1878; to which is prefixed some account of the Whitneys of England. (New York : Priv. Print. [Bradford Press] 1878), p. 23.
4.^ "Joseph [Whitney], m. Mary Coyt, 27 Jul , by Rev. Alexander Gordon of Charlestowne, S.C., Church Wardens James Fowler, Edward Hext," according to Barbour Collection of Connecticut Vital Records, Norwalk LR4:0.