Family:Whitney, Joseph Warren (1812-1886)
Joseph Warren7 Whitney (Joel6, Joel5, Abel4, Nathaniel3, Benjamin2, John1), son of Joel6 and Anna (Moore) Whitney, was born 22 Mar 1812, St. Stephen, NB, and died 4 May 1886, Milltown, St. Stephen, NB.
He married, Margaret M. Campbell. She was born about 1829, and died 7 Apr 1891.
Both were buried in St. Stephen Rural Cemetery, St. Stephen Parish, Charlotte Co., NB.
- "Mr. Whitney, though outspoken and independent in his ideas, was yet of quiet and unassuming manners, and was highly prized and respected by his circle of friends and acquaintances. He was a forty-niner, but early returned to the homestead, where, with his good sister for many years and good wife later, their lives rolled on quietly to the end."
Children of Joseph Warren7 and Margaret M. (Campbell) Whitney, if any, unknown.
This family should appear in the 1842, 1861, and 1871 censuses in Charlotte Co., NB.
- 1842, not examined.
- 1850, Curtisville, Tuolumne Co., CA:
310 310 Jos. W. Whitney 35 M W Miner ME
- 1852 State of California, San Francisco, San Francisco Co., CA: Joseph Whitney, 40, male, white, laborer, b. New Brunswick.
- 1861, not examined.
- 1871, Milltown, Charlotte Co., NB, not examined.
- 1881, Milltown, Charlotte Co., NB:
95+ Joseph WHITNEY M Male English 65 New Brunswick Gentleman Methodist Mary WHITNEY M Female English 51 New Brunswick Methodist
120 Joseph WHITNEY M Male English 65 New Brunswick Gentleman Universalist Mary A WHITNEY M Female English 45 New Brunswick Methodist
This appears to be a duplicate enumeration of the above couple. Why his wife is named Mary and not Margaret is unknown.
- Census records.
1.^ John Elliott Moore, Memorial of the Loyalist Families of William Moore, Josiah Hitchings and Robert Livingstone Who Settled in Saint David, New Brunswick, About the Year 1785 (Lewiston, ME: The Journal Office, 1898), p. 49. See .