Family:Whitney, Levi Taylor (1804-1847)
He married, 1 Jan 1826, Northampton, MA, Elizabeth Lyman Clark, of Northampton, daughter of Benjamin and Sibyl (Bartlett) Clark. She was born 11 Sep 1804, Northampton, MA, and died after 1874. She married secondly, 19 Nov 1856, Warren, VT, Ammi Nichols (1800-1863).
She was living in West Randolph, VT, in Oct 1874.
Phoenix says the following:
- Levi Taylor Whitney, b. in Wolcott, Vt, 30 Ap. 1804; married, 1 Jan. 1826, in Northampton, Mass., Elizabeth Lyman Clark, of Northampton. He died in Montpelier, Vt., 27 July 1847, and was buried there. She married (2nd), Ammi Nichols; and was living in Warren, Vt., in 1873, a widow the second time.
- Elizabeth Lyman Clark was dau. of Benjamin and Sibyl (Bartlett) Clark, of Northampton, Mass., where she was born 11 Sept. 1804. She was married (2d), 19 Nov. 1856, at Warren, Vt., by Denslow Upham, to Ammi Nichols, who was born at Braintree, Vt., 27 Ap. 1800. He died at Braintree, 26 Jan. 1863, and was buried there. She was living at West Randolph, Vt., in Oct. 1874, with her dau., Mrs. Nichols.
Children of Levi Taylor7 and Elizabeth Lyman (Clark) Whitney:
i. Lewis Dwight8 Whitney, b. 17 Jan 1827, Northampton, MA; m. Luranda Rosina Billings. ii. Mary Ann Clark Whitney, b. 6 May 1829, Wolcott, VT; m.(1) 28 Jan 1848 or 1849, Montpelier, VT, Josiah W. Conant; m.(2) 20 Apr 1851, Warren, VT, Sumner Billings, a marble-carver, son of Rufus and Hannah (Gordon) Billings, of Warren. He was b. 16 May 1812, Windsor, VT. They dwelt at Montpelier for six years; at Warren, eight years; at Northfield, VT, three years; and settled, in 1868, at Waitsfield, VT, where he died 2 Jun 1874. She was living there in Nov 1874. iii. Lucia Ann Bartlett Whitney, b. 30 Jul 1830, Wolcott, VT; m. 28 May 1848 or 1849, Montpelier, VT, Frederick Mather Perry, a dentist, son of William and Christian (Marsh) Perry, of Hartland, VT, formerly of Quechee, in Hartford, VT, where he was born 28 Dec 1815. They dwelt at Irasburgh, VT, four years; and then settled at Barton, VT, where they were living in Nov 1874, without children. iv. Edmond Morris Whitney, b. 15 Jun 1832, Wolcott, VT; d. 27 Jun 1833, Wolcott, VT. v. Edmond Morris Whitney, b. 13 Sep 1834, Wolcott, VT; m. Catharine Ellis Royce. vi. Abby Whitlock Whitney, b. 20 Feb 1836, Wolcott, VT; m. 24 Dec 1852, Montpelier, VT, Lewis Lothrop Tanner, son of Silas Tanner. They were living at Montpelier in May 1874. vii. Eliza Eveline Whitney, b. 23 Jan 1841, Wolcott or Montpelier, VT; m. 25 Oct 1864, Northampton, MA, Truman Abel Nichols, a carpenter and farmer, born 26 Jun 1840, Braintree, VT, son of Ammi and Abby (Martin) Nichols. They dwelt successively at Waitsfield, Randolph, and Warren, VT; and settled, in Mar 1874, at West Randolph, VT, where they were living in Oct 1874. He enlisted, 14 Aug 1861, in Company H, 6th Regiment, Vermont Volunteer Infantry; and was discharged 14 Oct 1864. viii. Milliard Filmore Whitney, b. 22 Feb 1844, Montpelier, VT; d. 19 Aug 1844, Montpelier, VT, and was buried there.
The 1850 Mortality Schedule for Washington Co., VT, shows Levi T. Whitney had died Aug 1849, aged 45 years. This contradicts the date above given by Phoenix.
- 1830, Wolcott, Orleans Co., VT: Levi Whitney, 1 male 20-29, 1 male 0-4, 1 female 20-29, and 2 females 0-4.
- 1840, Wolcott, Lamoille Co., VT: Levi T. Whitney, 1 male 30-39, 1 male 10-14, 1 male 5-9, 1 female 30-39, 1 female 10-14, 1 female 5-9, and 1 female 0-4; 1 engaged in manufacture or trades.
- 1850 Mortality Schedule, Washington Co., VT: Levi T. Whitney, male, b. MA, aged 45, d. Aug 1849.
- 1850, Montpelier, Washington Co., VT:
44 44 Elizabeth Whitney 45 F - Massachusetts Pauper Abigal " 14 F - Vermont Attended school Josiah W. Conant 24 M - Painter Vermont Mary " 21 F - Vermont Medora " 2 F - Vermont
- 1860, Montpelier, Washington Co., VT:
657 707 Robert J. Hargin 28 M - Breakman $1800 $1000 Vermont Betsey M. Hargin 28 F - do Clementina " 3/12 F - do Olive Tewksbury 69 F - N.H. Matilda Hargin 14 F - $700 Vermont Attended school Betsey A. Kenney 30 F - Dress Maker do 708 Ami Nichols 60 M - Day Labourer do Elizabeth Nichols 55 F - Mass.
- 1870, Barton, Orleans Co., VT:
41 43 Perry, Frederick M. 54 M W Dentist $600 $600 Vermont Male citizen over 21 -----, Lucia 40 F W Keeping House " Foss, Mozar 33 M W Chair mend Trurer[?] " Male citizen over 21 Nichols, Elizabeth 65 F W Residing with daughter Massachusetts
- 1880, Braintree, Orange Co., VT:
16 17 Laport, Julius D. W M 42 ---- mar Shoemaker Vermont New Jersey Vermont -----, Ellen A. W F 22 Wife mar Keeping House Vermont Canada Canada Laport, Polly W F 75 ---- wid Vermont Massachusetts Massachusetts Deaf and dumb 18 Nichols, Betsey W F 75 ---- wid Keeping House Massachusetts Massachusetts Massachusetts
- All data imported from Stephen Whitney Phoenix, The Whitney family of Connecticut, and its affiliations; being an attempt to trace the descendants, as well in the female as the male lines, of Henry Whitney, from 1649 to 1878; to which is prefixed some account of the Whitneys of England. (New York : Priv. Print. [Bradford Press] 1878), p. 351 and pp. 930-932.
1.^ "Levi F. [Whitney], and Elizabeth L. Clark, m. 15 Mar 1825," according to L.D.S. International Genealogical Index, Batch Number M502572. Apparently this was the intentions, not the marriage record.