Family:Whitney, Marshall Marion (1833-a1907)
Marriage intentions were published 22 Dec 1856, Cape Elizabeth, ME, for him and Margaret D. Fickett "both of Cape Elizabeth". He "of Portland" married, 22 Dec 1856, Portland, ME, Margaret Dockera Fickett "of Cape Elizabeth", daughter of George and Caroline (Houston) Fickett. She was born 12 Jan 1838, Cape Elizabeth, ME, and died after 1907.
- "MARSHALL MARION8 (Eliphalet,7 Eliphalet,6 Joshua,5 Joshua,4 Richard,3 Richard,2 John,1 who came from England and settled in Watertown, Mass., in June, 1635), b. Putney, Vt., Oct. 14, 1833; came to B[ellows] F[alls] early in 1857; was a barber, and engaged in mercantile business for some years; has been selectman, and bailiff of the village; justice of the peace; is member of Immanuel chh.; prominent in Masonic circles; m. Margaret D. Fickett of Portland, Me., Dec. 22, 1856, b. Cape Elizabeth, Me., Jan. 12, 1838; res. in B[ellows] F[alls]."
Children of Marshall Marion8 and Margaret Dockera (Fickett) Whitney:
i. Etta Margaret9 Whitney, b. 4 Nov 1857, Rockingham, VT; d. after 1907; m. 1 Feb 1883, Bellows Falls, VT, Charles Seymour Howard, Superintendant of the Bellows Falls Machine Company works; res. Bellows Falls, VT; no children. i. George Irwin Whitney, b. 22 Dec 1864, Rockingham, VT; d. after 1907; m. 11 Dec 1889, Minnie Emeroy Bridge; R.R.clerk and insurace agent; res. Bellows Falls, VT. No children. Graduated from Bellows Falls High School, 1881.
109 116 Marshal Whitney 25 M - Barber $800 $150 Maine Margaret 22 F - " Etta 2 F - "
383 385 Whitney, Marshall 36 M W Rtl. Hardware Merch't $2000 $2000 Vt. Male citizen over 21 -----, Margt. 32 F W Kpg. House Maine -----, Ella 12 F W Attdg. School Vt. Attended school -----, Geo. 5 M W " Attended school
M. M. WHITNEY 47 Self M M W VT Grocer MA --- Margarett WHITNEY 42 Wife F M W ME Keeping House ME ME Etta M. WHITNEY 22 Dau F S W VT Work In Paper Mill VT ME George I. WHITNEY 15 Son M S W VT At School VT ME
296 454 Whitney, George I. Head W M Dec 1865 34 mar 10 Vermont Vermont Maine Cashier R.R. office, Owns mortgaged house -----, Minnie E. Wife W F Feb 1870 30 mar 10 Vermont Vermont Vermont Bridge, Emoroy MiL W F Mar 1843 57 wid 2ch 2liv Vermont Vermont Vermont
- Census records
- http://familytreemaker.genealogy.com/users/f/r/a/Jean-L-Franks/GENE6-0054.html, accessed 28 Jun 2011.
- Hamilton Child, Gazetteer and Business Directory of Windham Co., Vt., 1724-1884, Bellows Falls Village -- Town of Rockingham, p. 336:
- "WHITNEY, MARSHALL M., dealer in flour, groceries and provisions, fruits, etc., 11, 13 and 15 Westminster, h 62 Atkinson."
- "Whitney, George T., book-keeper for M. M., bds 62 Atkinson."
1.^ "Mr. Marshall M. Whitney and Miss Margaret D. Fickett, both of Cape Elizabeth, intentions published 22 December 1856," according to Diehm, Anne, comp., Vital Records of Cape Elizabeth, Maine, Maine Genealogical Society Special Publication No. 63 (Rockport, ME: Picton Press, c2009).
2.^ "Dec. 22, 1856, Marshall M. WHITNEY of Portland & Margaret D. FICKETT of Cape Elizabeth; [by -----], Portland (C:307)," according to Kelley, Judith Holbrook, ed. and transcr., Clayton Rand Adams, ed., Marriage Returns of Cumberland County, Maine, Prior to 1892, Maine Genealogical Society Special Publication No. 29 (Rockport, ME: Picton Press, 1998), p. 527.
3.^ Hayes, Lyman Simpson, History of the Town of Rockingham, Vermont, Including the Villages of Bellows Falls, Saxtons River, Rockingham, Campbridgeport and Bartonsville, 1753-1907, with Family Genealogies (Bellows Falls, VT: The Town, 1907), p. 788.
- "George I. Whitney was a graduate of Bellows Falls High School, 1881."
- "M. M. Whitney lived on lot #51, Bellows Falls, Vermont, 1869."