Family:Whitney, Orrin (1828-a1870)
He married firstly, 21 Aug 1847, Ludingtonville, Kent, NY, Sarah Maria Sprague, daughter of Horace and Esther (Cronk) Sprague. She was born 6 Mar 1846, Kent, NY, and died after 1851.
He married secondly, before 1860, Ellen -----. She was born about 1833, Ireland, and died after 1880.
Phoenix says the following:
- ". . . a farmer . . . . He settled at Kent; and, about 1853, left his family and went to Joliet, IL. His friends have not heard from him since 1861; and suppose that he volunteered as a soldier, and died during the war."
On 26 Dec 1855, he paid $100 for the NE 1/4 of the NE 1/4 of Section 29, Township 27N, Range 14W, Iroquois Co., IL. On 15 Apr 1857, he was granted that parcel.
He enlisted as a Private in the 56th Regiment, Illinois Infantry (Mechanic Fusileers), during the Civil War.
Children of Orrin8 and Sarah Maria (Sprague) Whitney:
i. Ira9 Whitney, b. 4 Jun 1848, Peck Slip, Kent, NY; m. Amelia Maria Benedict. ii. Lydia Ann Whitney, b. 19 Feb 1850, Peck Slip, Kent, NY; m. autumn of 1868, William Morey, son of Isaac and Hester (Sprague) Morey. They lived at Towner's Station, NY, in 1873. iii. Philinda Whitney, b. 28 Nov 1851, Beekman, NY; lived at Patterson, NY, in 1873, unmarried.
Children of Orrin8 and Ellen (-----) Whitney, if any, unknown.
110 111 Aron Witney 21 M - Laborer N.Y. Sarah " 21 F - " Lydia " 24 F - " Ira " 2 M - "
- 1855 State, Putnam Co., NY: Schedules lost.
- 1860, Joliet, Will Co., IL:
3404 3283 Ora Whitney 25 M - Ice Vender 300 --- N.Y. Ellen 27 F - Ireland Illiterate
1860 U.S. Census, New York, Putnam Co., Kent, p. 4: 28 28 Daniel Washburn 70 M - Farmer $3500 $600 New York Betsey Washburn 66 F - Do Illiterate Lydia Whitney 12 F - Do David Foshay 15 M - Farm laborer Do Attended school Charles H. Olter 2 M - Do Horace Croft 65 M - Farm laborer Do
59 60 Esther Sprague 60 F - Do Illiterate Melinda Whitney 9 F - New York
- 1865 State, Joliet, Will Co., IL: Oren Whitney, 1 male 30-39 and 1 female 30-39; $125 livestock.
- 1865 State, Putnam Co., NY: Schedules lost.
- 1870, Joliet, Will Co., IL:
363 384 Whitney, Oren 40 M W Teamster $1000 -- N.Y. Male citizen over 21 " Ellen 50 F W Keeping house Ireland Parents foreign born, Illiterate
- 1870, Philinda not found.
- 1875 State, Putnam Co., NY: Schedules lost.
- 1880, Joliet, Will Co., IL:
E. F. WINEMAN 29 Self M M W OH Pump Mfgr. OH OH Kate WINEMAN 30 Wife F M W IRE Housekeeper IRE IRE F. Thomas WINEMAN 4 Son M S W IL OH OH Mary WINEMAN 2 Dau F S W IL OH OH Albert WINEMAN 1 Son M S W IL OH OH Ellen WHITNEY 50 Oth F M W IRE Servant IRE OH
- 1880, Philinda not found.
- All data imported from Stephen Whitney Phoenix, The Whitney family of Connecticut, and its affiliations; being an attempt to trace the descendants, as well in the female as the male lines, of Henry Whitney, from 1649 to 1878; to which is prefixed some account of the Whitneys of England. (New York : Priv. Print. [Bradford Press] 1878), p. 1471 and p. 2206.
- Census records.