Family:Whitney, Thaddeus Seymour (1808-a1880)
He married, 20 Dec 1832, Solon, NY, Laura Rockwell, daughter of Thomas and Prudence (Tuttle) Rockwell. She was born 3 Sep 1807, Cincinnatus, NY, and died after 1880.
Phoenix says the following:
- "Thaddeus Seymour Whitney, b. in Walton, N. Y., 14 Feb. 1808; a blacksmith and, later, a farmer; married, 20 Dec. 1832, in Solon, now Taylor, N.Y., by Rev. Mr. Catlin, Congregational, to Laura Rockwell, whose father then lived in Cincinnatus, N. Y., where she was born 3 Sept. 1807, dau. of Thomas and Prudence (Tuttle) Rockwell. He lived in Greene, N. Y., four years, and in Harpersfield, N. Y., one year, while learning his trade. He settled in Solon, now Taylor, N. Y., in 1830, and was still living there in 1874."
Children of Thaddeus Seymour6 and Laura (Rockwell) Whitney:
i. John Newton7 Whitney, b. 25 Sep 1833, Solon, NY; m. Emily Morrison. ii. David Brainerd Whitney, b. 19 Jun 1837, Solon, NY; m. Frances Elvira Poole. iii. Moses Merrill Whitney, b. 23 Oct 1839, Solon, NY; d. 2 May 1914, Washington, DC; enlisted, 26 Set. 1861, as a private, in the 76th Reg. of Infantry, N.Y.S. Vol., and was discharged at Albany, NY, 5 Dec 1864, having gained, by successive promotions, every grade to that of second lieutenant. While he belonged to the regiment, he took part in all of its battles, including Rappahannock Station, Gainesville, both battles of Bull Run, Fredericksburgh, Chancellorsville, Gettysburgh, Mine Run, Wilderness, Laurel Hill, Spottsylvania, North Anna, Cold Harbor, Tolopotomy, Petersburgh, and Weldon Railroad. He was captured at the second battle of Bull Run, remained in rebel hands for six weeks, and was then changed, and rejoined his regiment. At the battle of Weldon Railroad he was struck in the hip by a ball, which unfitted him for further service. His company presented him a sword, as a testimonial. In Jul 1874, he was engaged in manufacturing mineral waters and syrups, at 208 Seventh Street, S.W., Washington, DC. iv. Harriet Prudence Whitney, b. 11 Dec 1841, Solon, NY; was living with her parents at Taylor, in 1874. v. Laura Ester Whitney, b. 26 May 1844, Solon, NY; d. 17 Jul 1859, Taylor, NY, age 15 of inflamation of the bowels; bur. Taylor, NY. vi. Thaddeus Manning Whitney, b. 20 Oct 1851, Taylor, NY; and was living at 208 Seventh Street, Washington, in July 1874, in business with his brother Moses.
- 1840, Solon, Cortland Co., NY: Addice [sic] Whitney, 1 male 30-39, 1 male 5-9, 2 males 0-4, 1 female 60-69, and 1 female 30-39; 1 engaged in agriculture.
- 1850, Taylor, Cortland Co., NY:
1052 1082 T. S. Whitney 42 M - Farmer $2000 N.Y. Laura " 42 F - " John " 16 M - Laborer " Attended school David " 13 M - " Attended school Moses " 10 M - " Attended school Harriette " 8 F - " Attended school Laura " 6 F - " Attended school Nancy Whitney 75 F - Ct.
55 Framed $399 58 Thaddeus S. Whitney 47 M - - Delaware 1 - 25 Farmer 1 - - - - 1 - Laura Whitney 47 F - Wife Cortland 1 - 27 - - - - - - - - John N. Whitney 21 M - Chld Cortland - - 21 Farmer 1 - - - - - - David B. Whitney 17 M - Chld Cortland - - 17 Farmer - - - - - - - Moses M. Whitney 15 M - Chld Cortland - - 15 Farmer - - - - - - - Harriet L. Whitney 13 F - Chld Cortland - - 13 - - - - - - - - Laura E. Whitney 11 F - Chld Cortland - - 11 - - - - - - - - Thaddeus M. Whitney 3 M - Chld Cortland - - 3 - - - - - - - - Nancy Whitney 79 F - Moth Conn. - 1 18 - - - - - - - -
238 238 Thaddius Whitney 52 M - Farmer $1500 $750 N.Y. Laur " 52 F - " do Brainard " 23 M - " do Moses M. " 20 M - Farm laborer do Attended school Harriet S. " 18 F - Teacher Com schools do Attended school Thaddius M. " 8 M - do Attended school Thomas Rockwell 82 M - Farmer $500 -- Mass. Nancy Whitney 83 F - " Conn.
117 115 Whitney, Thadius 62 M W Farmer $4000 $1000 New York Male citizen over 21 -----, Laura 62 F W Keeping House New York -----, Hattie 28 F W New York -----, Manning 18 M W New York Attended school
869 993 Landers, D. E. 35 M W Soda Water Manuf. $12000 N. York Male citizen over 21 Arvilla 27 F W Keeping House " Mattie 2 F W At Home Maryland Henry 2/12 M W " D.C. Born in Mar Whitney, M. M. 31 F W Soda Water Manuf. $3000 $12000 N. York Male citizen over 21 [sic] Herdman, Wm. 26 M W Drives Waggon " Male citizen over 21
Thadeus S. WHITNEY 72 Self M M W NY Farmer CT CT Laura WHITNEY 72 Wife F M W NY Keeping House MA VT Hattie WHITNEY 38 Dau F S W NY At Home NY NY T. Manning WHITNEY 28 Son M S W NY At Home NY NY
C. W. LEANNARDA 33 Self M W W NY Keeps Hotel PA IRE William H. SCHROTH 25 Oth M S W PA Bar Keeper MD PA G. M. GLASS 36 Oth M S W VA Clerk In Hotel VA VA M. M. WHITNEY 40 Oth M S W NY Manufacturer NY NY James BARLOW 34 Oth M S W IRE Printer IRE IRE Joseph DARR 50 Oth M M W OH Clerk OH OH Patrick H. BRADLEY 25 Oth M S W NY Plate Printer IRE IRE W. R. TONCKS 33 Oth M S W MD Clerk MD MD R. W. CHRISTOPHER 47 Oth M M W MD Dry Goods Mcht. MD MD John A. DUGAN 46 Oth M M W VA Clerk VA VA W. H. HATFIEID 24 Oth M M W PA Builder PA PA Kate HATFIEID 18 Oth F S W PA PA PA A. W. KELLY 37 Oth M S W VA Merchant VA VA H. J. STANHOPE 25 Oth M S W NY Printer ENG NY Margaret HANDLEY 37 Oth F M W IRE Servant IRE IRE
Whitney, Moses M. Head W M Oct 1839 60 sgl New York
- 1910, Washington, Washington Co., DC: Moses M. Whitney, 70, b. NY.
- All data imported from Stephen Whitney Phoenix, The Whitney family of Connecticut, and its affiliations; being an attempt to trace the descendants, as well in the female as the male lines, of Henry Whitney, from 1649 to 1878; to which is prefixed some account of the Whitneys of England. (New York : Priv. Print. [Bradford Press] 1878), pp. 152-153 and pp. 418-419.