Family:Whitney, Victor Hugo (1869-a1910)
Victor Hugo9 "Vic" Whitney (Melvin8, Erastus7, Ezra6, Ezra5, John4, Isaiah3, Thomas2, John1), son of Melvin8 and Ann Eliza (Hooker) Whitney, was born 22 Jul 1869, NY, probably in Canaseraga, Allegany Co, NY, and died 25 May 1913, Buffalo, Erie County, NY.
He married, about 1896, Emma E. Williams, daughter of Rose (-----) Williams. She was born Sep 1872, NY, and died after 1930, probably in Buffalo, NY.
In 1890, he was the Assistant Supervisor of C. Berrick & Sons Brick Yard in Buffalo, NY, his brother Egbert being the Supervisor. He was a foreman at a brick factory in Buffalo, NY. When he was just a baby, he was listed on the 1870 census with the name 'Cland'. It is not known if this was a mistake, a nickname, or if his parents changed later his name.
He fell on hard times financially and committed suicide 25 May 1913.
- Victor H. Whitney Kills Himself at Charles Berrick Sons’ Plant.
- Victor H. Whitney, superintendant of the Charles Berrick Sons’ brickyard committed suicide yesterday morning in his office at Clinton street and Bailey avenue, by inhaling gas. His body was found several hours later in the bathroom in the basement of the office. Business reverses are said to have prompted Whitney to take his life. He was interested in the Acme Shale brick works at Angola, which burned a week ago with little insurance.
- Whitney left his home 101 Triangle street early yesterday morning and when he did not return home late last night Mrs. Whitney became alarmed and asked Joseph Morton of 93 Triangle to go to the brick yard office and see if her husband was there. With acting Lieutenant Arthur Baker of the Babcock street station Morton found Whitney in the bath room with the gas jet in his mouth.
- Whitney was 43 years old. He is survived by his widow and two children Marion 15 years old and Eugene 13 years old. - Buffalo News Monday
- Mr. Whitney was born in this place and lived here until grown to manhood and the news of his tragic death saddened the hearts of his many friends. He was loved and esteemed by all who knew him and the heartfelt sympathy of all in this community goes out to his family. Deceased was the youngest son of the late Melvin Whitney and a nephew of Mrs. E. P. Green. Besides his wife and children he is survived by two brothers Fremont of Topeka, Kansas and Hugh of St. Louis Mo. and one sister Mrs. Southwick Fritz of Nunda. The remains were brought to the home of E. P. Green to await the arrival of his brother. The interment took place Thursday morning the burial service being conducted by Rev. A. S. Dealey.
- The Canaseraga Times, Friday, May 30, 1913
Children of Victor Hugo9 and Emma (Williams) Whitney:
i. Marion R. Whitney, b. Sep 1897, NY, probably in Buffalo, Erie County. She was last known to be a single woman, living with her widowed mother in Buffalo, and working as a stenographer for a brick factory office, perhaps the same brick factory for which her father had been foreman. ii. Nelson "Eugene" Whitney, b. Sep 1899, NY, probably in Buffalo, Erie County. In 1917 or 1918, he filled out his World War I draft registration form. It included the following information: Nelson Eugene Whitney, 706 South Park Avenue, Buffalo, New York, age 18, born "Sept. 16th 10 1899" [sic], white, native born, Occupation: Bookkeeper, Acme Shale Brick Co., 1153 Main Street, Buffalo, closest relative: Emma E. Whitney, 706 So. Park Ave. He was last known to be living with his widowed mother and sister in 1920, though he may have been the Eugene R. Whitney living in Fredonia Village, Pomfret Township, Chautauqua County, NY, in 1930 with his wife Kathryn McC.
48 62 Whitney, Victor Head W M Jul 1869 30 mar 4 New York New York New York Foreman -----, Emma Wife W F Sep 1872 27 mar 4 2ch 2liv New York New York New York -----, Marion Dau W F Sep 1897 2 sgl New York New York New York -----, Eugene Son W M Sep 1899 9M sgl New York New York New York Williams, Rose MiL W F Jun 1852 47 wid 1ch 1liv New York New York New York
- 1910, 101 Triangle St., Buffalo, Erie Co., NY, p. 12
177 207 Whitney Victor H Head M W 39 M1 13 New York New York New York Superintendant, Brick Mfg Co -- Emma Wife F W 37 M1 13 2 2 New York New York New York None -- Marion Dau F W 12 S New York New York New York None -- Eugene Son M W 10 S New York New York New York None
- 1920, 706 South Park Ave., Buffalo, Erie Co., NY, p. 6A (203 stamped)
85 122 Whitney Emma Head F W 46 Wd New York New York New York -- Marian Dau F W 21 S New York New York New York -- Gene Son M W 20 S New York New York New York
- 1930, 28 Edgen S Avenue, Buffalo, Erie Co., NY, p. 15A (38 stamped)
280 315 Whitney Emma E Head F W 55 Wd New York New York New York None -- Marion R Dau F W 32 S New York New York New York Stenographer, Brick Factory Office
- 1930, Gene Whitney (30) - missing, b. ca. 1900 in NY, last in Buffalo, Erie Co., NY
- 1930, 81 E Main St, Fredonia Village, Pomfret Township, Chautauqua Co., NY, p. 1B
23 29 Whitney Eugene R Head M W 30 M 26 New York New York New York Salesman, Dept Store -- Kathryn McC Wife F W 32 M 29 New York England New York Teacher, Public School