Family:Whitney, Walton Brooks (1859-1932)
Walton Brooks9 Whitney (Ohio8, Ohio7, Silas6, Samuel5, William4, Nathaniel3, John2, John1), son of Ohio8 and Mary R. (Brooks) Whitney, was born 28 Aug 1859, Ashburnham, MA, and died testate 14 Dec 1932.
Walton married, 14 Jan 1886, Pelham, NH, Sarah B. Sherburne (aka: Sadie), of Pelham, NH, daughter of Warren and Betsey (Ames) Sherburne. She was born Feb 1865, Pelham, NH, and died 15 Aug 1954.
Walton B. Whitney, youngest son of Ohio and Mary R. (Brooks) Whitney, graduated from Cushing academy, Ashburnham, in 1881. Elected town clerk in 1887. Was appointed notary public by Gov. Brackett in 1890. Was proprietor of the town printing office; resided Ashburnham, MA.
- Note: I Andaleen Whitney received an email dated Wed, 19 Jul 2006, from someone claiming to be an attorney doing research on the heirs of Walton B. Whitney. Information provided is as follows:
- Dear "Andaleen:"
- I am an attorney doing research on the heirs of Walton B. Whitney. I have some information that you might need.
- Walton B. Whitney died testate December 14, 1932 (Worcester Probate #108125).
- According to his will, he devised his estate for life to his wife, Sarah (aka Sadie) with the remainder to his children as follows: for life to Melvin S. Whitney and outright to Harold P. Whitney and Warren O. Whitney.
- Sarah Whitney died August 15, 1954.
- Melvin S. Whitney died August 5, 1968.
- Warren O. Whitney died testate February 24, 1980 (Worcester Probate #290866).
- According to the terms of his will, he devised his estate to his children, Warren S. Whitney and Jane Whitney.
- I am still in the process of searching for Harold P. Whitney. He was married to a woman still alive in 1930. If you want I will forward his info to you at a later date.
- Elaine A. Byrne, Esq.
- I have no knowledge of my own how accurate or complete this information may be, but place it here in hopes that someone may benefit from this information.
Children of Walton Brooks9 and Sarah B. (Sherburne) Whitney:
i. Harold Parker10 Whitney, b. 18 Jul 1888, Ashburnham, MA; d. 23 May 1972, Somerville, MA; m. 11 Nov 1916, Arlington, MA, Eva Frances Clement, b. 3 Aug 1887, Somerville, MA, d. 26 Dec 1978, Boston, MA, dau. of Frank W. and Effie M. (Ham) Clement. Apparently no children. ii. Melvin Sherburne Whitney, b. 20 Oct 1890, Ashburnham, MA; d. 5 Aug 1968. iii. Warren Ohio Whitney, b. 29 Jan 1901, Ashburnham, MA; d. 24 Feb 1980, Gardner, MA; m. (int. 1 Feb 1932, Fitchburg, MA) 8 Feb 1932, Fitchburg, MA, Margaret Brack, b. 30 Sep 1902, Fitchburg, MA, d. 18 May 1977, Gardner, MA, dau. of Thomas and Margaret (Filen) Brack. Children: a. Warren S.11 Whitney, b. ca. May 1939, MA; res. Natick, MA. b. Jane Whitney, b. aft. 1940; res. Leominster, MA.
1900, Pleasant St., Ashburnham, Worcester Co., MA, p. 6: 122 144 Whitney, Walton B. Head W M Aug 1859 40 mar 14 Massachusetts Massachusetts Massachusetts Printing-insurance RWS English Rents House -----, Sarah B. Wife W F Feb 1865 35 mar 14 2ch 2liv New Hampshire New Hampshire Massachusetts RWS English -----, Harold P. Son W M Jul 1888 11 sgl Massachusetts Massachusetts New Hampshire At School RWS English -----, Melvin S. Son W M Oct 1890 9 sgl Massachusetts Massachusetts New Hampshire At School RWS English 256 Whitney, Mary R. Head W F Oct 1818 81 wid 6ch 5liv Massachusetts Massachusetts Massachusetts RWS English Owns House Free -----, Lydia A. Dau W F Aug 1846 53 sgl Massachusetts Massachusetts Massachusetts RWS English Brooks, Milton Cous W M Jan 1826 74 wid Massachusetts Massachusetts Massachusetts RWS English
- All data imported from Frederick Clifton Pierce, The Descendants of John Whitney, Who Came from London, England, to Watertown, Massachusetts, in 1635, (Chicago: 1895), p. 613.
2.^ "Walton B. Whitney (b. 1860, Ashburnham, MA, s. of Ohio Whitney Jr. & Mary R. Brooks) & Sadie B. Sherburne, m. 14 Jan 1886, Pelham, Hillsborough Co., NH," according to New Hampshire, Vital Records, Marriage Index. Also, "Massachusetts Vital Records, 1841–1910," from original records held by the Massachusetts Archives. Online database: New England Historic Genealogical Society, 2004; volume 372, page 269.
3.^ Email to Andaleen Whitney dated Wed, 19 Jul 2006.