Family:Whitney, William (1750-1820)
Phoenix says the following:
- William Whitney, b. in Ridgefield, Conn., 31 Dec. 1750; a farmer; settled in his native place, in Ridgebury Society, on a part of the homestead which was conveyed to him, 8 Ap. 1772, by his father, Richard Whitney, "for ye sum of ten pounds & for ye love and good will that I have unto my son William Whitney of said Ridgefield." He had an ear-mark for his animals recorded in Ridgefield, 17 Ap. 1772, and 18 Dec. 1773. He married in Ridgefield, 11 Aug. 1773, Sarah Bundy, who was born in Ridgefield, 13 Aug. 1754, "only dau." of John and Sarah (Nichols) Bundy. He sold his Ridgebury lands, 7 Feb. 1778, and 9 Ap. 1778, to his brother Henry Whitney, of Ridgefield; and removed to Lee, Mass., and settled about a mile south-west of the village of North Lee. They worshipped in the Congregational Church, at North Lee, of which, after 6 June 1792, Rev. Alvan Hyde, D.D., was pastor. In 1797, they moved to Paris, Oneida Co., N.Y., whence they removed to Ellisburgh, N.Y.; arriving there 16 Feb. 1805, and settled about a mile above, or north-east of, the present village of Ellisburgh, where they died; he, 2 June 1820; she, 28 Dec. 1828. They were buried in the Ellisburgh Cemetery, and their graves are unmarked.
Children of William5 and Sarah (Bundy) Whitney:
i. Abigail6 Whitney, b. 10 Apr 1774, Ridgefield, CT; m. Joab Farman. ii. Sarah Whitney, b. 23 Apr 1776, Ridgefield, CT; m. 5 Sep 1802, Lee, MA, Dr. Joel Dresser. iii. Patty Whitney, b. 6 Nov 1778, Lee, MA; m.(1) William Rankins; m.(2) William Cole. iv. William Whitney, b. 9 Jan 1782, Lee, MA; m. Autumn 1813, Ellisburgh, NY, Delana Van Alen, of Ellisburgh, who was born in Pittstown, NY, 11 Aug. 1785, dau. of William and Sally Van Alen; a farmer. They settled in Ellisburgh, near the village, in the house now occupied by Lyman Boomer Chamberlain, where he died, of cancer, 8 Aug. 1856, without children, and was buried in Ellisburgh Cemetery. She was living, in 1874, in the family of Martin Hagadone, in the north-west part of Ellisburgh, able to walk with ease to Woodville, four miles, and return the same day, or to spin a regular day's work on the great wheel, though she was almost eighty-nine years old. v. Clarissa Whitney, b. 6 Sep 1785, Lee, MA; m. Orrin Polley. vi. John Whitney, b. 29 Jan 1788, Lee, MA; m.(1) Olive Mason; m.(2) Hephzibah Ober. vii. Mary Whitney, b. 26 Jun 1790, Lee, MA; d. 27 Jul 1790, Lee, MA, aged 1 month, and was buried about half a mile south-east of the old Congregational Church in North Lee. viii. Polly Whitney, b. 27 Sep 1791, Lee, MA; m. John6 Whitney. ix. Richard Whitney, b. 10 Feb 1795, Lee, MA; d. 23 Apr 1796, Lee, MA, aged 1 year 2 months, and was buried about half a mile south-east of the old Congregational Church in North Lee. x. Esther Whitney, b. 5 Oct 1797, Lee, MA; m. Warner Towsley.
- 1790, Lee, Berkshire Co., MA: William Whitney, 1 male over 16, 2 males 0-15, and 6 females.
- 1800, Lee, Berkshire Co., MA: William Whitney, 1 male over 45, 1 male 16-25, 1 male 10-15, 3 females over 45, 1 female 26-44, 2 females 16-25, 1 female 10-15, and 2 females 0-9.
- 1810, Ellisburg, Jefferson Co., NY: William "Whiting", 1 male over 45, 1 male 26-44, 1 male 16-25, and 1 female 16-25.
- 1820, Ellisburg, Jefferson Co., NY: Sarah Whitney, 1 female over 45 and 1 female 16-25.
- 1840, Hounsfield, Jefferson Co., NY: William Whitney, 1 male 50-59, 1 male 5-9, and 1 female 40-49; 1 engaged in agriculture.
- 1850, Henderson, Jefferson Co., NY:
342 347 William Whitney 67 M - Mass. Delana " 54 F - [N.Y.] Lucy Helpin 21 F - [N.Y.]
Delana's age is understated (she was 64).
1165 1181 John Cook 38 M - Laborer N.Y. Zilpha " 36 F - House Keeper " Lewis " 13 M - " Lucy " 10 F - " Lewin Cook 6 M - N.Y. Zilpha D. " 4 F - " Delana Whitney 50 F - Domestic Vt.
If this Delana is the right person, her age is clearly understated here (she was 74), and her birth state is wrong.
248 246 Burton, Oliver E. 56 M W Farmer $11000 $4000 New York Male citizen over 21 -----, Sarah A. 48 F W Keeping house New York Whitney, Laney 69 F W House work Pennsylvania Watson, Charles 20 M W Farm Laborer England Parents foreign born
If this Laney is the right person, her aged is understated (she was 84), and her birth state is wrong.
Marcus HAGGADOME 65 Self M M W NY Farm NY NY Ann HAGGADOME 41 Wife F M W NY Keeping House NY NY Nellie HAGGADOME 10 Dau F S W NY Attending School NY NY James HAGGADOME 7 Son M S W NY NY NY Lana WHITNEY 88 Othe F W W NY CT NY Henry HAGGADOME 15 Son M S W NY Farm Laborer NY NY
Delana's age is understated (she was 94).
- All data imported from Stephen Whitney Phoenix, The Whitney family of Connecticut, and its affiliations; being an attempt to trace the descendants, as well in the female as the male lines, of Henry Whitney, from 1649 to 1878; to which is prefixed some account of the Whitneys of England. (New York : Priv. Print. [Bradford Press] 1878), p. 64 and pp. 187-189.
3.^ "Sarah [_____] [Whitney], w. William, [born] Aug. 13, 1754," according to Vital Records of Lee, Massachusetts, to the Year 1850 (Boston, MA: New England Historic Genealogical Society, 1903).
4.^ "Nabby [Whitney], ch. William and Sarah, [born] Apr. 10, 1774," according to Lee Vital Records. Also, "Nabbe [Whitney], d. William & Sarah, b. 10 Apr 1774," according to the Barbour Collection of Connecticut Vital Records, Ridgefield 1:39.
5.^ "Sarah [Whitney], ch. William and Sarah, [born] Apr. 23, 1776," according to Lee Vital Records. Also "Sarah [Whitney], d. William & Sarah, b. 23 Apr 1776" according to the Barbour Collection of Connecticut Vital Records, Ridgefield 1:39.