Family:Whitney, William (1871-1949)
William Whitney (William L.), son of William and Lucy (Bryant) Whitney, was born 26 Feb 1871, Saratoga, IA, and died 19 Feb 1949, Olympia, WA. He was buried in the Odd Fellows Memorial Park and Mausoleum, Tumwater, WA.
He married, 24 Oct 1881, Shell Rock, Butler Co., IA, Lovina O. Hull, daughter of Orin W. Hull. She was born Dec 1872, IA, and died Apr 1948, probably WA. She was buried in the Odd Fellows Memorial Park and Mausoleum, Tumwater, WA.
- DAILY OLYMPIAN, OLYMPIA WASHINGTON
- WILLIAM WHITNEY 2/26/1871-2/19/1949
- William Whitney of Route 6, Box 261, died Saturday night in an Olympia hospital. Mr. Whitney was born February 26, 1871, in Saratoga, Iowa. He was married to Lovinna Hull in 1891 at Shell Rock, Iowa. Mrs. Whitney died in April of 1948. Mr. Whitney was a member of Odd Fellows Lodge. He is survived by three daughters, Mrs. Blanche Modes of Olympia, Mrs. Alice Johnson of Kelso, and Mrs. Viola Fitchett of Olympia; four sons, Loren and Alfred Whitney of Seattle and Carl and Harold Whitney of Olympia; also 22 grandchildren. The funeral service will be held this Wednesday afternoon in Warnica's chapel. The Reverend E. R. Scratch will conduct the service. Burial will take place in Odd Fellows Cemetery. The Odd Fellows Lodge will conduct the grave side service.
Children of William and Lovina O. (Hull) Whitney:
i. Blanche V. Whitney, b. May 1893, Oklahoma Territory; m. Arthur Modes; res. Olympia, WA. ii. William Loren Whitney, b. Jan 1896, Oklahoma Territory; d. after 1940, then unmarried; res. Seattle, WA. iii. Alice May Whitney, b. Jun 1899, Oklahoma Territory; m. 20 Dec 1921, Pacific Co., WA, Roy P. Johnson; res. Kelso, WA. iv. Viola Whitney, b. ca. 1902, OK; m. Arthur E. Fitchett; res. Olympia, WA. v. Carl Sumner Whitney, b. 19 Oct 1903, OK; d. 14 Aug 1991; bur. Odd Fellows Memorial Park and Mausoleum, Tumwater, WA; m.(1) Helen -----; m.(2) 11 March 1950, Thurston Co., WA, Anita Volora Bausch; res. Olympia, WA. vi. Alfred Whitney, b. 19 Oct 1906, OK; d. Feb 1981, Thurston Co., WA; m. Irene -----; res. Seattle, WA. vii. Harold Grant Whitney, b. 6 Oct 1909, OK; d. 17 Jul 1993, Aberdeen, WA; m.(1) 1940, Gladys M. -----; m.(2) 1961, LaVene Alyce -----; res. Olympia, WA.
William was the son of another William Whitney, supposedly born about 1814 and died in 1875, Saratoga.
- 1880, Shell Rock, Butler Co., IA: William was listed as a 9 year old boy with his mother Lucy and her second husband G. C. Johnson.
- 1900, Grant, Custer Co., OK Terr.
- 1910, Grant, Custer Co., OK
- 1920, Peninsula, Thurston Co., WA
- Census records