Family:Whitney, William F. (s1817-a1865)
He "of Harvard, Mass." married, 1 Jan 1840, Rocky Hill, CT, Jane A. Flint "of Rocky Hill", daughter of John and Mary (Ackley) Flint. She was born say 1819, and died 12 Oct 1872, Kingston, NY, aged 51 years. She was buried in Green-Wood Cemetery, Brooklyn, NY.
He resided Harvard, MA, but removed about 1861 to Kingston, NY.
The Kingston and Rondout Directory, 1864: Kingston: Whitney, W. F., boots and shoes, 78 N. Front, h. Ford.
U.S. IRS Tax Assessment Lists, 1865: Whitney, William F., Kingston, retail dealer, no. 234, quantity of valuation -, rate of tax $10.00, amount of tax on particular articles $6.67, total $6.67.
Kingston and Rondout Village Directory and Ulster County Business Directory for 1869-1870, p. 60: Kingston Directory: Whitney, W. M., Mrs., h. John n. Wall.
Kingston, New York, City Directory, 1871: Whitney, Jane, Mrs., hair dresser, John n. Wall.
Will of Jane A. Whitney, Volume R, 1872-1874, pages 148-149:
- "At a Surrogate's Court, held in and for the County of Ulster at the Surrogate's Office in the City of Kingston, on the 11th day of December 1872. Present Peter Cantine, Surrogate.
- "The last will and testament of Jane A. Whitney was admitted to probate, and proved as a will of real and personal estate which with the proofs taken in relation thereto is a follows:
- "Oct. 10th 1872. Know all men by these presents that I, Jane A. Whitney of Kingston, Ulster Co., State of New York, being of sound mind and feeling the uncertainty of life, do make this my last Will & Testament and hereby revoking all other wills. First I commend my soul and Body unto our merciful God, who has kept me thus far in life and my blessed Savior who has redeemed me by his precious blood Amen. After all my lawful debts are paid and funeral expenses are settled, if I have any money left, I wish first that one Hundred Dollars shall be put out on interest and paid over to Francis Albert Hawxhurst, now of Brooklyn, N.Y. on his arriving at the age of Twenty one, both principal and interest. Also Secondly fifty dollars so paid to James Thacker my brother-in-law now of Kingston, N.Y. I wish also that my personal apparrel and all my furniture and Bed and bed clothes, Books, &c. to be given to my Daughter Josephine now of Brooklyn, N.Y., and request her to give my sister Mrs. Thacker now of Kingston, N.Y., all or any of my apparel &c. that she may not wish herself. Also I wish the Gold ring on finger at my Death to be left on & also request that my best linnen & my best new silk dress shall be my shroud. Also I appoint my beloved son-in-Law William H. Hawxhurst to Brooklyn, N.Y. my Executor.
- "Witness my hand
- "J. S. Whitney (seal)
- "Witness, W. B. Askane, A. Ingram."
- Proved 11 Dec 1872.
Children of William7 and Jane A. (Flint) Whitney:
i. Francis F.8 Whitney, b. ca. 1841, MA; Private, 15th New York Infantry in the Army in 1865; enlisted 1863 in Kingston, aged 22 years, single, in the Navy; d. before 1872. ii. Josephine M. Whitney, b. 4 Oct 1843, MA; d. 3 Sep 1902, Brooklyn, NY; bur. Green-Wood Cemetery, Brooklyn, NY; m. ca. 1858, William Henry Hawxhurst. iii. Caroline F. Whitney, b. 2 Oct 1844, Harvard, MA. Her name was alternately Caroline P. Whitney.
Jane's sister was Caroline Elizabeth Flint, wife of James Thacker. They are buried in Kingston, NY. Caroline was mentioned in the distribution of the estate of John Flint of Rocky Hill, CT, in 1854-1855. The ancestry of Jane has not been pursued further.
- 1850: not found.
- 1860: not found.
- 1865 State, Kingston, Ulster Co., NY:
Stone $5000 226 Robert Tootell 32 M ---- Ulster 5 1 - - - Tailor - - - - - - - - - - - Sarah " 32 F Wife Dutch. - 1 - - - -- - - - - - - - - - - - Sarah " 14 F D " - - - - 1 -- - - - - - - - - - - - Charles " 12 M S " - - - - 1 -- - - - - - - - - - - - Lilly " 9 F D Ulster - - - - 1 -- - - - - - - - - - - - Dora " 1-10/12 F D " - - - - 1 -- - - - - - - - - - - - 227 William F. Whitney 47 M ---- Mass. 4 1 - - - Shoe Merchant - - - - - - - - - - - Jane A. " 44 F Wife Conn. - 1 - - - -- - - - - - - - - - - - Francis F. " 22 M S Mass. - - - - 1 -- - - - - - - - - 1 - -
- 1870: not found.
- All data imported from Frederick Clifton Pierce, The Descendants of John Whitney, Who Came from London, England, to Watertown, Massachusetts, in 1635, (Chicago: 1895), p. 356.
1.^ "William F. [Whitney], of Harvard, Mass., m. Jane A. FLINT, of Rocky Hill, 1 Jan 1840, by Rev. C. CHAPIN, Wethersfield 3:94, Rocky Hill 1:99," according to the Barbour Collection of Connecticut Vital Records. Also, "William F. [Whitney], of Harvard, Mass., m. Jane A. FLINT, 1 [Ja]n 1840," according to the Index of Connecticut Church Records, Rocky Hill (Stepney) Church 1:145.
2.^ U.S., Newspaper Extractions from the Northeast, 1704-1930, The Hartford Times, published 25 Jan 1840, from Ancestry.com. Also, Henry R. Stiles, Families of Ancient Wethersfield, Connecticut, p. 322.
9.^ "Caroline F. [Whitney], d. of Will[ia]m and Jane A., [born] Oct. 2, 1844," according to Thomas W. Baldwin, ed., Vital Records of Harvard, Massachusetts, to the Year 1850 (Boston, MA: Wright & Potter Printing Co., 1917). Also, "Massachusetts Vital Records, 1841–1910," from original records held by the Massachusetts Archives. Online database: New England Historic Genealogical Society, 2004; volume 11, page 185.