Family:Whitney, William Henry (1843-a1880)
William Henry8 Whitney (Charles7, Charles6, Daniel5, Daniel4, Benjamin3, John2, John1), son of Charles7 and Martha G. (Collins) Whitney, was born 10 Dec 1843, Watertown, Middlesex, MA, and died after 1880.
He married, 29 Aug 1872, RI, Mary Anne Giddings, daughter of John and Julia/Eliza (-----) Giddings. She was born circa Jul 1843, Dudley, England, and died 12 Jun 1889, Worcester, MA, aged 45 years 11 months, of chronic mania..
In 1877 he was a carpenter living at 18 Blanchard St., Boston, MA.
In the 1880 census he was listed with his family and his wife’s father John Giddings 69, Farmer, born about 1811, in Ireland. Both of his parents were born in Ireland. His residence was Spencer, Worcester, Massachusetts and his occupation was listed as a butcher.
Mary Anne Giddings occupation was a seamstress in 1860.
Children of William Henry8 and Mary Anne (Giddings) Whitney:
i. Edward B.9 Whitney, b. 27 Jun 1873, Rhode Island; m. 1 Sep 1917, Milford, NH, Ivah Louise Kinney, b. ca. 1875, NH. According to his WWI draft registration card, Edward was 44 on 12 Sept 1918 and lived at 55 Wilcox Ave, Meriden, CT. He was described as a tall man with a medium build. He had blue eyes and brown hair. In 1920, he was a newspaper editor, living in Ward 5, Meriden, CT. ii. Henry Burleigh Whitney, b. 5 Jan 1875, Providence, Rhode Island; m. Elsie Edna Medcalf. iii. Norman Whitney, b. 1 Feb 1877, Boston, MA; m.(1) 6 Jun 1899, Newport, RI, Abigail Lunt Murray, b. May 1878, ME, dau. of Charles S. and Ella (Brownley) Murray; m.(2) 26 Sep 1905, Boston, MA, Ermina A. Cutler, b. ca. 1878, Granby, CT, dau. of Cecil S. and Isadore (Holcomb) Cutler. According to his WWI draft registration card, Norman lived at 7 Wayne, Roxbury, MA, on 12 Sept 1918. He was married and in business for himself as a Merchandise Broker. He is described as tall, medium build, grey eyes and black hair. iv. Anne Elizabeth Whitney, b. 10 Apr 1881, Spencer, MA; "Annie E." m. 1 Jan 1901, Northampton, MA, Howard L. Nichols, b. ca. 1872, Williamsburg, MA, son of Alfred A. and Caroline H. (Hill) Nichols. v. Alice Louise Whitney, b. ca. 1885, East Brookfield, MA.
- 1870: not found.
- 1880, Spencer, Worcester Co., MA:
William H. WHITNEY 36 Self M M W MA Butcher MA MA Mary A. WHITNEY 36 Wife F M W ENG Keeping House IRE ENG Edward B. WHITNEY 7 Son M S W RI MA ENG Henry B. WHITNEY 5 Son M S W RI MA ENG Nounan WHITNEY 3 Son M S W MA MA ENG John GIDDINGS 69 FatL M W W IRE Farmer IRE IRE
146 168 Bird, John W. Head W M Mar 1850 50 mar 25 Massachusetts Massachusetts Massachusetts News & stationery dealer, Owns mortgaged house -----, Lillian A. Wife W F Jul 1855 44 mar 25 2ch 1liv Vermont Vermont Vermont -----, Lena I. Dau W F Jul 1883 16 sgl Massachusetts Massachusetts Vermont At school Whitney, Annie E. Srvt W F Apr 1881 19 sgl Massachusetts Massachusetts England Housework
33 36 Parker, Arthur J. Head W M Jan 1863 37 mar 14 Canada Massachusetts Massachusetts Laborer (Plumbing), Rents house -----, Lizzie A. Wife W F Aug 1867 32 mar 14 2ch 2liv Massachusetts Massachusetts Massachusetts -----, Maude A. Dau W F Feb 1888 12 sgl Massachusetts Canada Massachusetts At school -----, Elizabeth Dau W F Aug 1892 7 sgl Massachusetts Canada Massachusetts At school Thayer, Ellen M. MiL W F Jan 1844 56 wid 2ch 1liv Massachusetts Massachusetts Massachusetts Whitney, Alice L. Brdr W F Nov 1883 16 sgl Massachusetts Massachusetts Massachusetts At school
256 309 Whitney, Norman Head W M Feb 1877 23 mar 1 Massachusetts Massachusetts England Salesman, Rents house -----, Abbigill L. Wife W F May 1878 12 mar 1 0ch 0liv Maine Maine Maine Gardner, Benjamin L. BiL W M May 1877 13 sgl Maine Maine Maine Clerk
- Rhode Island Births, 1636-1930, Rhode Island Vital Records. [database online] Orem, UT: Ancestry, Inc., 2000
- New England Historic Genealogical Society, Boston, MA, Massachusetts Vital Records, 1841-1910, 5:101
- 1850 United States Federal Census. M432, 1009 rolls. National Archives and Records Administration, Washington D.C. Watertown, Middlesex, Massachusetts, roll M432_326, page 345, image 25.
- 1860 United States Federal Census
- 1880 United States Federal Census
- 1900 United States Federal Census, Norfolk County, Massachusetts, ED 1043, roll T623 670, page 15A.
- 1910 United States Federal Census.
- World War I Selective Service System Draft Registration Cards, 1917-18.
- 1920 United States Federal Census, Meriden Ward 5, New Haven County, CT.
- 1930 United States Federal Census, Meriden, New Haven, Connecticut, ED 149, roll 273, page 6A, image 646.0.
- The National Society of the Daughters of the American Revolution, Lineage Books, Volume 53 pg 135.
4.^ Rhode Island, Town Clerk, Vital and Town Records, 1630-1945, from FamilySearch.org.