Family:Whitney, Willis Clifford (1869-1937)
Willis Clifford9 Whitney (Isaac Rogers8, Obediah Higgins7, Levi6, Abel5, Nathan4, Nathaniel3, Benjamin2, John1), son of Isaac Rogers8 and Elizabeth Libby (Varney) Whitney, was born 23 Oct 1869, Portland or Deering, ME, and died 10 May 1937, Worcester, MA.
He married firstly, 15 Feb 1893, Worcester, MA, Ida Louise Stevens, daughter of James H. and Anna Caroline (Bishop) Stevens. She was born 23 Sep 1871, Worcester, MA, and died 11 Apr 1916, (possibly) Worcester, MA.
She was a school teacher. She was buried in Riverside Cemetery, Barre, MA.
He married secondly, 1917, Emily Jane Sudbury. She was born 1880, Canada. She was naturalized in 1930.
Willis C. Whitney
- Willis C. Whitney, 68, of 128 Austin St., died this morning at his home. He was born in Portland, Maine, the son of Isaac R. and Elizabeth (Varney) Whitney. Mr. Whitney had resided in Worcester 46 years, having been employed by the Commonwealth Press 44 years. He retired two years ago.
- He is survived by his widow, Mrs. Emily (Sudbury) Whitney; six daughters, Mrs. Helen Hatstat of Lancaster, Mrs. Grace E. Hatstat and Mrs. Aileen Bigelow, both of North Rutland, Mrs. Alice Tremblay, Mrs. Margaret Valley and Miss Anna Whitney, all of Worcester; four sons, Edward R. Whitney of Mason, NH, Allan C., Willis J., and Richard E. Whitney, all of Worcester; a brother, Frank L. Whitney of Worcester and a sister, Miss Mary L. Whitney of Ware.
- Funeral services will be at Caswell King Co., 835 Main St., Wednesday afternoon at 2 o'clock PM. Rev. Clement Hahn will officiate. Burial will be in Hope Cemetery, Worcester.
- Source: Worcester Telegram And Gazette - 10 May 1937.
Children of Clifford Willis9 and Ida (Stevens) Whitney:
i. Edward Roger10 Whitney, b. 23 Sep 1893, Worcester, MA; d. 21 Oct 1969. ii. Allan Clifford Whitney, b. 14 Oct 1895, Hubbardston, MA; d. 3 Sep 1963, Worcester, MA. iii. Helen Louise Whitney, b. 2 Oct 1896, Hubbardston, MA; d. 2 May 1980, Clinton, MA; m. ----- Hatstat. iv. Margaret Viola Whitney, b. 23 Oct 1897, Worcester, MA; d. 1951. v. Grace Elizabeth Whitney, b. 21 Dec 1900, Worcester, MA; d. 18 September 1983, Worcester, MA; m. Charles Hatstat. vi. Mary E. Whitney, b. 1 Mar 1903, Worcester, MA; d. 14 or 4 Aug 1903, Worcester, MA, aged 5 months 3 days, of gastroenteritis. vii. Ailleen Frances Whitney, b. 2 Dec 1904, Worcester, MA; d. 28 Jul 1978, Holden, MA. viii. Willis Frederick Whitney, b. 18 Aug 1906, Princeton, MA; d. 2 Sep 1996, Worcester, MA. ix. Alice May Whitney, b. 31 Mar 1908, Worcester, MA; d. 1 Jul 1981, Albany, NY. x. Richard Everett Whitney, b. 11 Sep 1910, Worcester, MA; d. 22 Oct 2000, Cambridge, MA; m. Mary E. Horan.
- More about Richard E. Whitney
- Tuesday, October 24, 2000
- Worcester Telegram and Gazette
- Richard E. Whitney, 90
- WEST NEWTON-- Richard E. Whitney, 90, a retired die polisher of West Newton, formerly of 49 Pleasant Valley Drive, Worcester, died Sunday, October 22, in Mount Auburn Hospital, Cambridge after a brief illness.
- His wife, Mary E. (Horan) Whitney, died in 1986. He leaves a daughter, Barbara Flynn of West Newton; three granddaughters; 5 great grandchildren and several nieces and nephews. Three sons, Richard E., Frank and Edward A. Whitney all of Worcester predeceased him due to complications of Muscular Dystrophy. He was born in Worcester, son of Willis C. and Ida (Stevens) Whitney and graduated from Commerce High School.
- Mr. Whitney was a die polisher at Thompson Steel & Wire for 36 years, retiring in 1973. He was a member of St. Peter's Church and its Mens Club, the Greendale Retired Mens Club, the 49er Club at Lincoln Village and the Worcester Amateur Radio League. He was also a past president of the Worcester Chapter of the Muscular Dystrophy Association.
- The funeral will be held Thursday, Oct. 26, from O'Connor Brothers Funeral Home, 592 Park Ave., Worcester with a Mass at 10:00 a.m. in St. Peter's Church, 931 Main St., Worcester. Burial will be in St. John's Cemetery. Calling hours are 5-8 p.m. on Wednesday, Oct. 25 in the funeral home. Flowers may be sent or donations may be made to the Muscular Dystrophy Association, Inc., 33 Lyman St., Westboro, MA 01581.
xi. Anna Isabell Whitney, b. 17 Dec 1912.
85 191 McGuersin, Emma E. Head W F Apr 1854 46 mar 27 7ch 6liv New Hampshire England Scotland Rents house -----, Frank Son W M Apr 1879 23 sgl Massachusetts New York New Hampshire Cabinet maker -----, Mary E. Dau W F Sep 1874 25 sgl Massachusetts New York New Hampshire Book ruling -----, Bertha W. Dau W F Jun 1886 13 sgl Massachusetts New York New Hampshire At school -----, Frederick W. Son W M Dec 1889 10 sgl Massachusetts New York New York At school -----, Agnes D. Dau W F Jun 1892 7 sgl Massachusetts New York New York At school Wright, James Fath W M Jan 1827 23 wid 50 England England England Iron moulder, Immig. 1860, Na. 192 Whitney, Willie C. Head W M Oct 1868 31 mar 7 Maine Maine Maine Wheelwright, Rents house -----, Ida L. Wife W F Sep 1871 28 mar 7 4ch 4liv Massachusetts Massachusetts Michigan -----, Edward R. Son W M Sep 1893 6 sgl Massachusetts Maine Massachusetts At school -----, Allen C. Son W M Oct 1895 4 sgl Massachusetts Maine Massachusetts -----, Helen L. Dau W F Oct 1896 3 sgl Massachusetts Maine Massachusetts -----, Margaret G. Dau W F Oct 1897 2 sgl Massachusetts Maine Massachusetts
65 69 Shaffer, William A. Head W M Feb 1878 21 mar 1 Massachusetts Germany Massachusetts Lumberman, Rents house -----, Lilla A. Wife W F May 1882 18 mar 1 1ch 1liv Massachusetts Massachusetts Massachusetts -----, Louisa A. Dau W F Jan 1899 1 sgl Massachusetts Massachusetts Massachusetts 70 Stevens, Fred R. Head W M Mar 1873 26 mar 1 Massachusetts Massachusetts Michigan Engineer steam, Rents house -----, Emma E. Wife W F Oct 1878 21 mar 1 -ch -liv Massachusetts Massachusetts Massachusetts Whitney, Edward R. Brdr W M Sep 1893 6 sgl Massachusetts Maine Massachusetts
1900, Hubbardston, Worcester Co., MA, p. 3B: 67 72 Damon, Jonas S. Head W M Oct 1853 46 unk Massachusetts Massachusetts Massachusetts Teamster, Rents house Adams, Anna C. Srvt W F Nov 1850 49 wid 2ch 2liv Michigan Connecticut Massachusetts Housekeeper Whitney, Allen C. Brdr W M Oct 1895 4 sgl Massachusetts Maine Massachusetts
- Census records.
5.^ Helen L. (Whitney) Hatstat, b. 2 October 1896, Massachusetts; d. 2 May 1980, Clinton, Massachusetts. Massachusetts Death Records, 1970-2003. Cert.# 032054.
8.^ Grace E. (Whitney) Hatstat. b. 21 December 1900, Massachusetts; d. 18 September 1983, Worcester, Massachusetts. Massachusetts Death Records, 1970-2002. Cert# 045322.
10.^ "Massachusetts Vital Records, 1841–1910," from original records held by the Massachusetts Archives. Online database: New England Historic Genealogical Society, 2004; volume 1903/59 (death), page 99.
12.^ "Massachusetts Vital Records, 1841–1910," from original records held by the Massachusetts Archives. Online database: New England Historic Genealogical Society, 2004; volume 9, page 787 (amended).
13.^ "Massachusetts Vital Records, 1841–1910," from original records held by the Massachusetts Archives. Online database: 5.^ Aileen F. (Whitney) Bigelow, b, 2 December 1904, Massachusetts; d. 28 July 1978, Holden, Massachusetts. Massachusetts Death Records, 1970-2002. Cert.# 034706.
15.^ Willis F. Whitney, b. 18 August 1906, Massachusetts; d. 2 September 1996, Worcester, Massachusetts. Massachusetts Death Records, 1970-2003. Cert.# 046950.
18.^ Richard E. Whitney, b. 11 September 1910, Massachusetts; d. 22 October 2000, Cambridge, Massachusetts. Massachusetts Death Records, 1970-2003. Cert.# 050310.