Family:Witney, William (1781-1853)
William Witney (Richard, John), son of Richard and Mary (Dimmock) Witney, baptized 11 Feb 1781, Chinnor, Oxfordshire, England, died 16 Jul 1853, Chinnor, Oxfordshire, England, buried 21 Jul 1853, Chinnor, Oxfordshire, England.
He married, 11 Oct 1803, Chinnor, Oxfordshire, England, Mary Narroway, bp. 10 Nov 1776, Aston Rowant, Oxfordshire, England.
In 1843 they resided Chinnor, Oxfordshire, England.
He was a Farm Labourer, and in 1851 was listed as an Agricultural Labourer, aged 70 years.
Amanda Taylor writes:
- "William was 22 years of age and Mary was 26 years of age at the time of their marriage . They had a family of ten children who were all born in Chinnor, Oxfordshire, England and baptised at St. Andrew's Church in Chinnor. However, at least three of their children did not survive infancy, as John died at one year of age in 1804, Ann (1814) and Martha aged 3 months (1822)."
- "One son, also named John migrated to Australia with his brother Edmund, our ancestor, where they both raised families. The only remaining male child, George, stayed in England and in 1881 at the age of 62 years his occupation was a 'Domestic Gardener' and he was residing at 'Farm Fold', Pownall Fee, Cheshire, England with his wife Mary, and their two daughters. Ellen aged 26 and Elizabeth, aged 19, who were both "Cotton Weavers" and were born in Styal, Cheshire."
- "Their youngest child, Lucy married Francis CHOWN in 1846 at Sydenham, Oxfordshire, England when she was 21 years of age. Lucy gave birth to seven children in Sydenham, Mark (1850), Thomas (1853), Esther Elizabeth (1856), Alice (1858), Mary Ann Lucy (1860), George Francis (1863) and Leah Frances (1864). Lucy's husband Francis CHOWN, and therefore their children, are also direct descendants of our ancestors John and Joan CHOWN (ca.1700) of Aston, Rowant, Oxfordshire."
- "William's father Richard was born at Blewbury and was "of Blewbury" when he married Mary in 1762, on the Brookes Marriage Index complied many years ago by John Brookes and now part of Berkshire Family History Society Marriage Index. Richard's parents are John WITNEY and Mary HUGGILL of Blewbury. I have no more on these two. There are HUGGILL's in Blewbury but no baptism for a Mary and no indication of John WITNEY. They married at Blewbury on 8 Oct 1727 and had all boys : John, Francis, William, Thomas, (then Richard) and James."
Children of William and Mary (Narroway) Witney:
i. John Witney, b. 15 Nov 1803, Chinnor, Oxfordshire, England. ii. Rebecca Witney, b. 12 Jun 1805, Chinnor, Oxfordshire, England. iii. John Witney, b. 2 Sep 1807, Chinnor, Oxfordshire, England. iv. Edmund Witney, b. 26 Dec 1809, Chinnor, Oxfordshire, England, bp. 9 Jan 1810, St. Andrew's Church, Chinnor, Oxfordshire, England. v. Ann Witney, b. 10 Apr 1812, Chinnor, Oxfordshire England. vi. Anna Witney, b. 27 Aug 1814, Chinnor, Oxfordshire, England. vii. Ann Witney, b. 17 Oct 1816, Chinnor, Oxfordshire, England. viii. George Witney, b. 6 Mar 1819, Chinnor, Oxfordshire, England. ix. Martha Witney, b. 5 May 1822, Chinnor, Oxfordshire, England. x. Lucy Witney, b. 29 Jun 1824, Chinnor, Oxfordshire, England.
- 1841 Census, District 16, Chinnor, Oxfordshire, England, p. 1 (two young children in this census are unaccounted for above)
- 1841 Census
- Amanda Taylor's Genealogy on WorldConnect.