Help:Create an Account
How to Create an Account
- Select the create an account or log in link at the top right corner of any page.
- Enter your information into the New Users section
- Username - Select a name that you'd like to be known on this website by. You can user your first name and last initial, your first initial and last name, your first and last name, or just a nickname. We recommend that you do not use your email address for your username. Doing this means that your email address will be shown in multiple places on the website and could be harvested by spammers.
- Password - Select a password that you'll remember. You'll need to enter this twice.
- Email Address - Enter your email address. This will not be available for others to see.
- Your real name - Please enter your real name (optional).
- Optionally check the remember me checkbox so you don't have to log in each time you visit the site.
- Press the create new account button.
Your account will be created and you will be placed on your new user page. Take a few minuted to edit that page and tell others who you are and what you're working on in regards to Whitney research.
Benefits of Creating an Account
If you create an account, you will be able to make edits to the pages on the site, and those edits will be assigned to the username you select. That means you get full credit for your contributions in the page history. You can also view all your contributions by clicking the "My contributions" link, which is visible only when you are logged in.
You will have your own user page where you can write a bit about yourself. While The WRG website is not a homepage provider, you can use this to display a few pictures, write about your hobbies, etc. Many users use their user page to maintain a list of the articles they are most proud of, or to collect other valuable information from the site.
You will have a permanent user talk page you can use to communicate with other users. You will be notified whenever someone writes a message on your talk page. If you choose to give an e-mail address, other users will be able to contact you by e-mail. This feature is anonymous; the user who emails you will not know your e-mail address.