Whitney Family Reunion, 2002
Last update: 5 September 2002
The Whitney Research Group organized a Whitney Family Reunion. The dates were 9-11 August 2002, Friday through Sunday. The place was the Sheraton Inn, Lexington, MA, about 10 miles from Watertown, former home of immigrants John and Elinor (-----) Whitney. The address is 727 Marrett Road, Lexington, Massachusetts 02173, USA. The telephone numbers are 781-862-8700 and 888-627-7185, and the fax number is 781-863-0404.
The program was intended to include parts devoted to the Whitney families of Massachusetts, Connecticut, the South, Canada, and possibly England. Below is a list of talks:
- "History of the Whitney Research Group," by Allan Green
- "Thomas Whitney of Westminster," by Robert Ward
- "Famous Scientific Whitneys," by Karl Schwerin
- "Other Famous Whitneys," by Ron Kyser
- "Whitneys of the Middle Ages," by Joe Whitney
- "Mississippi/Southern Whitneys," by Robert Croxton Whitney
- "Maine/New Brunswick Whitneys," by Ken Whitney and Larry Tracy
- "Next WRG Reunion," by Lyn Legere and Carolyn Branagan
- "Strategies for Breaking Through Those Brick Walls," by Ken Whitney, Larry Tracy, and Mike Poston
Activity choices for field trip:
- Watertown Library
- Mt. Auburn Cemetery, Watertown
- Other Watertown Cemeteries
- New England Historic Genealogical Society, Boston
- Concord Green
In addition, Robert Ward held short private consultations during unscheduled time to provide help on research problems. a very nice schedule of events (1.5 MB) was distributed to the participants.
Below is a modern map of Watertown, showing Whitney Hill Park (a Whitney homestead site), the Watertown High School (another Whitney homestead site), and the Watertown Library (marked L next to City Hall on Main Street). All were visited by some participants on their field trip. Old roads are highlighted in red for comparison with older maps:
Snapshots taken at the reunion are available on-line.
Copyright © 2001, 2002, 2006, The Whitney Research Group