Archive:A Genealogical History of Freeman, Maine
Thompson, George A. and Thompson, F. Janet, A Genealogical History of Freeman, Maine 1796-1938 in Three Volumes, Volume 3 (Bowie, Maryland: Heritage Books, 1996), p. 291-300.
Transcribed by Tim Doyle, 12 Feb 2000.
WHITNEY John-1, Benjamin-2, Nathaniel-3, Isaac-4, 1 BARNABAS WHITNEY-5, b. Aug. 18, 1766 in Gorham, son of Isaac & Hannah (Lombard) Whitney. He md., Jan. 1, 1789 in Buxton, Sarah R., dau. of John & Mary (Riggs) Walker of Gouldsboro, Me. She was b. May 3, 1765. They came to Freeman in the early 1800's. Barnabas was treasurer at the first Freeman Town meeting in 1808. Sarah d. July 18, 1838 and Barnabas d. Oct. 19, 1843. They are bur. in Tuttle Cor. Cem., Freeman. Ten children: 2 I. *Isaac, b. June 10, 1790. 3 II. *John, b. Mar. 17, 1792. 4 III. Lovicy, b. Mar. 31, 1794; md., Otis Butterfield of Phillips, q.v. 5 IV. Rebecca, b. Mar. 22, 1796; md., Stillman Parlin of Freeman, q.v. 6 V. *Sewell Pitt, b. Mar. 19, 1798. 7 VI. *Marshall Hill, b. Jan. 15, 1800. 8 VII. Constant Hopkins, b. Apr. 12, 1801. 9 VIII. Polly, b. Nov. 9, 1805. 10 IX. Sarah R., b. Dec. 13, 1807; md., Rev. William Bates of Freeman, q.v. 11 X. James Paine, b. Apr. 8, 1809; d.Oct. 17, 1891 and is bur. in Tuttle Cor. Cem., Freeman.
(2) ISAAC WHITNEY-6, b. June 10, 1790 Freeport; md., Eliza- beth, dau. of Eleazer & Olive (Hildreth) Parlin of Free- man, q.v. She was b. Dec. 5, 1786 in Concord, Mass. They lived in Augusta and later in Freeman where Isaac d. May 24, 1857 and Elizabeth d. 1867. They are bur. in Tuttle Cor. Cem., Freeman. Seven children: 12 I. Oliver Sewall, b. Jan. 2, 1813 in Augusta; d. Feb. 29, 1832 in Freeman and is bur. in Tuttle. Cor. Cem., Freeman. 13 II. *Ezra Ames, b. Mar. 6, 1815. 14 III. Isaac, Jr., b. Apr. 28, 1816 in Augusta; d. May 4, 1816. 15 IV. *Alvin, b. Nov. 8, 1818. 16 V. Eliza, b. May 9, 1824; md., America Bonny Hayford, q.v. 17 VI. Mary Stevens, b. Jan. 31, 1825 in Freeman; md., Apr. 20, 1848, Capt. Gilbert M. Leighton. They lived in Steuben and Millbridge, Me. Three chil- dren: (no order) 18 1. Charles Leighton, He was a sea captain. 19 2. Emma Leighton, She md., Charles Brown and they lived in New London, Conn. 20 3. Bertha Leighton. 21 VII. Martha, b. Jan. 31, 1825 in Freeman.
(3) JOHN WHITNEY-6, b. Mar. 17, 1792. He md., (pub.) Nov. 27, 1825, Martha Butterfield of Chesterville. She was b. Mar. 1798; d. Apr. 10, 1838. He md., (2) Dec. 1, 1839, Eliza, dau. of Ebenezer, II. & Elizabeth (Jackson) Newell, q.v. She was b. Feb. 4, 1802. They lived in Freeman where John was engaged in farming. John d. May 6, 1863 and is bur. with his first wife in North Freeman Cem. Four children: 22 I. Sally W., b. Nov. 25, 1826. 23 II. *John Alfred, b. July 21, 1830. 24 III. Jesse B., b. 1834. He was farming with his father in 1860. Second marriage: 25 IV. Sarah E., b. 1841. She was a teacher in common schools in 1860. She md., Jan. 1865, Israel Newell and they lived in Durham.
(6) SEWELL PITT WHITNEY-6, b. Mar. 19, 1798; md., Oct. 24, 1816, Anna, dau. of Archeleus & Sally V. (Winch) Tuttle of Freeman, q.v. She was b. Oct. 13, 1799. They lived in Freeman where Sewell was engaged in farming. Sewell d. Aug. 21, 1867 and Anna d. Sept. 1, 1876. They are bur. in North Freeman Cem. Eight children: 26 I. Sylvina, b. May 14, 1817; d. June 3, 1841 and is bur. in North Freeman Cem. 27 II. Lucinda L., b. Oct. 12, 1818; md., Amos Hamblin Norton, q.v. 28 III. Lurinda, b. July 1820; d. Mar. 24, 1840 and is bur. in North Freeman Cem. 29 IV. John Converse, b. May 7, 1822; md., Sept. 18, 1844, Josephine, dau. of Joseph & Hannah (Luce) Lovejoy, q.v. She was b. Oct. 25, 1818 in Salem. 30 V. Constant Hopkins, b. Apr. 17, 1824; md., Aug. 9, 1846, Olive H. Thompson. He was farming with his father in 1850 and later moved to Norwood, Mass. 31 VI. James, b. 1826. He was still at home in 1850. 32 VII. Sophile A., b. Aug. 26, 1834; d. Oct. 3, 1851 and is bur. in North Freeman Cem. 33 VIII. *J. Wesley, b. July 4, 1840.
(7) MARSHALL HILL WHITNEY-6, b. Jan. 15, 1800. He md., Sept. 6, 1819, Lovina, dau. of Benjamin & Prudence (Pease) Luce, q.v. She was b. Apr. 3, 1793. They lived in Freeman where Marshall was engaged in farming. He d. July 24, 1865 and Lovina d. Aug. 14, 1877. They are bur. in Tuttle Cor. Cem., Freeman. Nine children: 34 I. Lucinda, b. Jan. 29, 1820. 35 II. Lorinda, b. Jan. 29, 1820; Md., Oct. 19, 1846, Nathaniel French Williams. He was b. May 4, 1812. They livedin Madrid where he was engaged in farm- ing. Lorinda d. July 1857. After her death, Nathaniel had Lucinda Pickard caring for his chil- dren in 1860. He d. Mar. 17, 1864. They are bur. in Reeds Mills Cem., Madrid. Three children: 36 1. Lovina Williams, b. 1849 in Madrid. 37 2. Mary E. Williams, b. 1851 in Madrid. 38 3. Marshall W. Williams, b. 1856 in Madrid; d. Apr. 1859. 39 III. Simon, b. Dec. 29, 1823. 40 IV. Cyrus, b. Apr. 29, 1825; d. Mar. 17, 1826. 41 V. Telina, b. Feb. 14, 1827. 42 VI. Roscoe G., He died an infant and is bur. in Tuttle Cor. Cem., Freeman. 43 VII. Charlotte, b. July 30, 1829. She was at home in 1850. 44 VIII. *Elbridge G., b. Jan. 24, 1832. 45 IX. Clemina S., b. 1835; md., Mar. 3, 1858, John Wesley Soule. He was b. 1834.
(13) EZRA AMES WHITNEY-7, b. Mar. 6, 1815 in Augusta. He md. Martha Tilton of Farmington. She was b. Mar. 5, 1814; d. Apr. 3, 1841 and is bur. in Strong Vill. Cem. He md., (2) Abby J. She was b. 1833. They lived in Freeman and later moved to Skowhegan. Ezra was a machinist and a mill man. Six children of record: (no order) 46 I. Melissa Phandora, b. Dec. 6, 1837 in Freeman; d. Oct. 14, 1859 and is bur. in Tuttle Cor. Cem. Freeman. 47 II. John Albert, b. Jan. 26, 1840 in Strong; d. Nov. 17, 1862 and is bur. in Tuttle Cor. Cem., Freeman. Second marriage: 48 III. Columbus L., b. 1854; d. Feb. 10, 1862 and is bur. in Tuttle Cor. Cem., Freeman. 49 IV. Mary Elizabeth "Lizzie", b. 1858 in Skowhegan; md., a Mr. Durrell. 50 V. Bion, b. 1860 in Showhegan; md., a Miss Leighton. 51 VI. Annie, b. in Showhegan; md., a Mr. Dodge.
(15) ALVIN WHITNEY-7, b. Nov. 8, 1818 in Freeman; md., Susan Davis. He died in Brooklyn, N.Y. and is bur. in Lewiston, Me. Two children: (no order) 52 I. Calistia A., b. in Lewiston, Me.; md., Adelbert M. Knight. Three children: (no order) 53 1. Ella M. Knight. 54 2. Grace Dill Knight. 55 3. Maude A. Knight. 56 II. Georgie A., She md., John H. Rieger of Brooklyn, N.Y.
(23) JOHN ALFRED WHITNEY-7, b. July 21, 1830; md., Oct. 12, 1854 in Freeman, Dorcas Ann, dau. of Jesse S. & Hannah (Ames) Burbank of Freeman, q.v. She was b. Oct. 7, 1824 in Freeman. They lived in Freeman where John was engaged in farming. John served as a Cpl. in Co. D 28th. Me. Vol. Inf. during the Civil War. He enlisted Sept. 10, 1862 and was discharged on Aug. 31, 1863 because of deafness. His death date is unknown, he was 49 in 1880. Dorcas d. Feb. 15, 1890. Two children: 57 I. Nettie Louisa, b. Feb. 25, 1859; md., John Herman Heath, q.v. 58 II. Elizabeth A., b. Mar. 16, 1868; d. July 27, 1887.
(33) J. WESLEY WHITNEY-7, b. July 4, 1840; md., Aug. 1, 1861, Ann Augusta, dau. of Abraham & Nancy (Peterson) Furbish of Freeman, q.v. She was b. July 12, 1842 in Freeman. They lived in Freeman and moved to Strong in 1883. He was engaged in farming. They later moved to Temple where J. Wesley d. May 20, 1893. He is bur. in Riverside Cem. Farmington. Two children: 59 I. William Converse, b. Jan. 19, 1865 in Freeman. He was 15 in 1880. 60 II. *Charles Carroll, b. Mar. 9, 1873.
(44) ELBRIDGE G. WHITNEY-7, b. Jan. 24, 1832; md., Feb. 14, 1862 in Strong, Frances Adalaide, dau. of William & Eliza- beth (Maxfield) Whitney. She was b. June 13, 1843 in Farmington. Elbridge had the post office in his home in Freeman in 1861. Ile was engaged in farming. He d. Oct. 10, 1900 in Freeman and is bur. in Tuttle Cor. Cem., Freeman. Frances d. Feb. 24, 1917 in Wilton and is bur. in Strong Vill. Cem. on the John C. Tuttle lot. Three children: (no order) 61 I. Hattie B., b. Aug. 22, 1863; md., John C. Tuttle of Freeman, q.v. 62 II. Earl W. He md., Blanche M., dau. of Lyman & Estella V. (Davenport) Harmon of Freeman, q.v. She was b. Feb. 27, 1887 in Farmington. They lived in the South Meadow in Freeman and moved to Salem where he bought out a store. They later moved to Richmond. He had several children. 63 III. William B., b. Aug. 1880; d. Oct. 16, 1962 in Richmond.
(60) CHARLES CARROLL WHITNEY-8, b. Mar. 9, 1873 in Freeman; md., Sadie May Gould of Madison. They were div. He md., (2) Aug. 4, 1907 in Temple, Justina, dau. of Ossian & Nellie J. (Grover) Ripley. She was b. Nov. 3, 1888 in Jay. Charles d. Feb. 22, 1936 in Farmington and is bur. there. Justine d. Dec. 4, 1873 in Augusta and is bur. in Farmington. Two children: Second marriage: 64 I. Reginald Ehrinfried, b. Mar. 22, 1909 in Farming- ton; md., Apr. 30, 1938 in Farmington, Phyllis Evelyn, dau. of Floyd Ephraim & Laila (Walton) Winship. She was b. June 25, 1916 in Jackson. Reginald d. Oct. 13, 1959 in Farmington. Phyllis md., (2) Reginald H. Williamson. Two children: 65 1. Pauline Laila, b. Sept. 10, 1946 in Farming- ton; md., May 27, 1972, John Thompson Buck. 66 2. Charles Harold, b. Jan. 24, 1948 in Farming- ton; md., Oct. 22, 1965, Joy Arva Brown. 67 II. Gladys F., b. Oct. 9, 1920; d. Apr. 20, 1930.
WHITNEY 1 GEORGE S. WHITNEY, b. Oct. 19, 1833, son of George C. Whitney. He md., Lucy A., dau. of Joseph & Lucy (Shaw) Sweetser. She was b. Dec. 17, 1843. They lived in Phil- lips where George was engaged as a teamster. Lucy d. Dec. 14, 1903 and George d. Nov. 16, 1922. They are bur. in Evergreen Cem., Phillips. Six children: 2 I. Emma Lucy, b. Apr. 28, 1865; d. May 7, 1922 and is bur. in Evergreen Cem., Phillips. Unmd. 3 II. Edson Bertrand, b. Apr. 15, 1870; d. Dec. 3, 1914 and is bur. in Evergreen Cem., Phillips. Unmd. 4 III. Wilson C., b. Mar. 30, 1873; md., Jennie E. She was b. Apr. 14, 1868. Wilson d. Oct. 8, 1914 and Jennie d. Aug. 2, 1924. They are bur. in Evergreen Cem., Phillips. 5 IV. Josephine, b. Sept. 21, 1875; md., Lionel True Allen, q.v. 6 V. Georgia, b. Sept. 19, 1880; md., Fred, son of Stinson & Leuella E. (Pratt) Masterman of Phillips. He was b. 1874. She md., (2) Leon A. Thomas, q.v. 7 VI. Celia, b. July 6, 1882; md., Aug. 21, 1926, Edwin Proctor, son of William & Margaret (Barnard) Smith of Phillips as his second wife. He was b. Sept. 21, 1870. They lived in Phillips. Celia d. May 2, 1949 and Edwin d. Nov. 19, 1959. They are both bur. in Evergreen Cem., Phillips. Celia is bur. on her parents lot.
WHITNEY 1 MICAH WHITNEY, b. Dec. 2, 1752 in York, Me., son of Abel & Mary (Cram) Whitney. He md., Hannah Cobb. She was b. Mar. 28, 1762. They lived in Gorham, Gray and Phillips where he was engaged as a blacksmith. Micah served in the Revolutionary War, having enlisted in Buxton, Me. He d. Sept. 4, 1832 and Hannah d. Dec. 5, 1883. They had a family plot on the homestead farm in Phillips. There used to be headstones but they were removed by persons unknown some years ago. (Info given by Mrs. Charles Toothaker of Phillips. ed.) Twelve children: 2 I. Sarah "Sally", b. Jan. 11, 1781 in Gorham; md. James Humphrey and lived in Avon and Salem in the 1850's. He was b. 1784. 3 II. William P., b. Feb. 3, 1783 in Gorham; md., Nov. 10, 1823, Nancy Carleton. They went West. William d. 1865. 4 III. Lydia, b. Feb. 3, 1783 in Gorham; d. June 1849 and is bur. in Field Cem., Phillips. Unmd. 5 IV. Joel E., b. May 7, 1787 in Gorham; md., Sally, dau. of Rev. Joseph & Sally (Merritt) Dyar, q.v. She was b. Nov. 10, 1797; d. Apr. 6, 1834. He md., (2) Sept. 27, 1836, Mrs. Sarah Crumpton, dau. of Abner & Jerusha (Collins) Ramsdell, q.v. She was b. Mar. 25, 1802 in Farmington; d. in Phillips. Joel was known as Capt. Joel. He built the house in Phil- lips into which the people fled in the Indian scares of 1812. This house was later known as the Robbins House. Capt. Joel was a successful busi- nessman and a member of the senate. There is a large monument in Riverside Cem., Phillips for Joel and his family - no dates. He had several chil- dren, some of which went to St. Paul, Minnesota. 6 V. Charlotte, b. Mar. 16, 1789 in Gorham. In the 1850's & 60's she was living in Freeman with her brother Ebenezer's family. She d. Apr. 4, 1867 and is bur. in Field Cem., Phillips. Unmd. 7 VI. *Ebenezer, b. Aug. 15, 1791. 8 VII. Andrew, b. May 5, 1794; md., Hulda Sweetser. She was b. 1797. 9 VIII. Mary, b. Apr. 30, 1797; md., Reuben Smith and settled in Mass. 10 IX. Joanna, b. Dec. 6, 1799; md., Sept. 10, 1818, Caleb Sylvester of Avon. Caleb taught school in Freeman in 1812 and 1813. 11 X. Happy, b. Nov. 1, 1801; md., Samuel W. Finix and moved to Plymouth, Me. 12 XI. Naham, b. Oct. 11, 1803. Unmd. 13 XII. Benjamin M., b. Mar. 19, 1806 in Gray; md., Sept. 26, 1830, Susan Wells of Phillips. She was b. 1806. They lived in Phillips for many years. He taught school for thirty years in North Franklin county. Benjamin served as a Capt. in the Maine Militia. They went West in 1869 and lived for 11 years in New Mexico, coming back to Gardiner, Me. in 1887. Benjamin d. Apr. 30, 1890 in Gardiner and Susan d. 1892. They are bur. in Riverside Cem., Phillips.
(7) EBENEZER WHITNEY, b. Aug. 15, 1791 in Gorham; md., Mrs. Dorcas Parlin of Temple, dau. of John Drury. She was b. 1812. They lived in Freeman where he was engaged in farming. Ebenezer served in the War of 1812. He d. Nov. 18, 1874 in Freeman and is bur. in Strong Vill. Cem. Dorcas d. 1894 in Franklin, Mass. Three children: 14 I. *John Drury, b. Oct. 21, 1843. 15 II. *Charles Edgar, b. Dec. 2, 1847. 16 III. Myra Ann, b. 1851; md., Nov. 1882, Frank C. Reed. They went to Astoria, Oregon.
(14) JOHN DRURY WHITNEY, b. Oct. 21, 1843 in Phillips; md., Jan. 26, 1870 in Strong, Eldusty "Ellie", dau. of Samuel A. & Abigail (Heath) Peary, q.v. She was b. June 7, 1851 near Rangeley Lakes. John served as a Cpl. with Co. D 28th. Reg. Me. Vol. Inf. during the Civil War. He also served with the 19th Army Corps, Dept. of the Gulf, under Gen. Banks, in the siege of Fort Hudson. They lived at Freeman Center until Oct. of 1887 when they moved to Franklin, Mass. He was engaged in farming and was a Methodist preacher. As a young man he was a band master in Maine. John d. Mar. 18, 1936 in Franklin, Mass. and Eldusty d. Nov. 29, 1935. Five children: 17 I. Frank Drury, b. Jan. 9, 1871; md., May 8, 1894; Kate O. Coggesshall of Narragansett, R.I. They lived in Wakefield, Mass. Two children: 18 1. Everett Drury, b. July 30, 1897 in Branford, Conn.; md., Aug. 3, 1918, Alice M. Donald of Wakefield, Mass. They lived in Branford, Conn. 19 2. John F., b. Sept. 22, 1907 in Wakefield, Mass.; d. Sept. 25, 1917 of scarlet fever. 20 II. Minerva Bell, b. Feb. 11, 1872; md., Dec. 31, 1895, Henry Norton Foster Marshall. He d. Oct. 27, 1913 and Minerva d. Apr. 28, 1948 in Bangor and is bur. in Strong Vill. Cem. One child: 21 1. Ruth B., b. June 3, 1899; md., Rev. Walter L. Sheppard of Greene, Me. They lived in. Laconia, N.H. 22 III. Charles Louis, b. Feb. 9, 1874 in Freeman; md. Nov. 3, 1896, Florence J. Gibson. They lived in Dedham and at Hyde Park, Mass. Charles was em- ployed by the Adams and American Rail Way Express Co. at Hyde Park in Boston, Mass. He was a trumpet player in the 110th. Calv. Band of Boston. One child: 23 1. William E., b. July 30, 1898; md., Eleanor May Crosby. She was b. May 14, 1902. They lived in Nicholas, Conn. He was an artist. 24 IV. Jonas Albert, b. Nov. 5, 1877; d. Dec. 24, 1877 and is bur. in Strong Vill. Cem. 25 V. Ralph T., He lived in Franklin, Mass.
(15) CHARLES EDGAR WHITNEY, b. Dec. 2, 1847 in Phillips; md., Apr. 28, 1877 in Phillips, Julia, dau. of Benjamin E.D.B. & Drusilla (Mayo) Burbank of Freeman, q.v. She was b. Apr. 16, 1858 in Salem. They lived in Phillips, where he was engaged in farming. Charles d. Aug. 13, 1894 in Augusta State Hospital for the insane. After Charles death Julia purchased her father's farm in Freeman. She lived there for awhile and then bought a farm in Phillips. She d. May 21, 1937 and is bur., in Strong Vill. Cem. Three children: 26 I. Charles Raymond, b. Mar. 28, 1878 in Phillips; md., Sept. 29, 1909, Mary Durden of Mass. They lived in Beverly, Mass. He d. 1942 and is bur. in Puritan Lawn Memorial Park, West Peabody, Mass. 27 II. Albert Daggett, b. Aug. 7, 1879 in Phillips; d. Apr. 28, 1952 in Bangor and is bur. in Strong Vill. Cem. Unmd. 28 III. Benjamin Burbank, b. May 20, 1884 in Phillips; md., June 14, 1921, Hazel M. Hall of Calais. He worked for the Maine Central R.R. as a Civil Engineer.
WHITNEY 1 SAMUEL WHITNEY, b. Sept. 11, 1818 in Readfield, son of Stephen & Sarah Whitney. He md., (pub.) Sept. 20, 1855, Allura H., dau. of Hiram H. & Celia P. (Savage) Presson of Freeman, q.v. She was b. 1831. They lived in Salem where he was engaged in farming. Allura d. after 1880. Samuel d. Feb. 22, 1888 and is bur. in Mt. Abram Cem., Salem. Six children: 2 I. Charles H., b. Oct. 19, 1856; d. Jan. 20, 1874 and is bur. in Mt. Abram Cem., Salem. Unmd. 3 II. Frank Arthur, b. July 9, 1858. He was working as a farm laborer at home in 1880. 4 III. Lizzie Estelle, b. Sept. 19, 1859; md., Rev. Gard- ner, son of Henry C.J. & Emily A. (Gardner) Wills, q.v. 5 IV. Odell James, b. June 4, 1863. He was living at home in 1880. 6 V. Samuel, b. Mar. 20, 1866. He was living at home in 1880. 7 VI. Cora May, b. Mar. 10, 1869; md., Charles E., son of Thaddeus R. & Jane E. (Dunham) Barker, q.v.
WHITNEY 1 SUMNER WHITNEY, He md., on June 7, 1846, Elizabeth J., dau. of Jesse S. & Hannah (Ames) Burbank of Freeman, q.v. They lived in Rockland where he operated a lime kiln. Three children: (no order) 2 I. Perlett, he went to Minnesota and worked on his Uncle Silas Patterson's farm. 3 II. Fdward, He went to Rochester, Minnesota and to Seattle, Washington. 4 III. Abby, She lived in Rockland, Maine.
WHITNEY 1 WILLIAM WHITNEY, b. July 25, 1786; md., Feb. 6, 1813, Olive, dau. of Eleazer & Olive (Hildreth) Parlin of Free- man, q.v. She was b. Sept. 5, 1791 in Concord, Mass. They lived in Freeman for a time. One child of record: 2 I. *Ephraim Hildreth, b. Dec. 30, 1813.
(2) EPHRAIM HILDRETH WHITNEY, b. Dec. 30, 1813 in Freeman; md., July 25, 1844 in Carthage, Jane H. Hunt. She was b. Jan. 2, 1825. Ephraim was a Methodist preacher and a Genealogist. He d. Jan. 14, 1892 in St. Cloud, Minn. Six children: 3 I. Allison O., b. Dec. 16, 1852; md., Euphense Jane Wright. They lived in St. Cloud, Minn. 4 II. Jane Nizolla, b. Sept. 30, 1857; md., George E. Lewis of Bismark, N.D. Two children: 5 1. Eddie Burbank Lewis. 6 2. Frank Allison Lewis. 7 III. Melville C., b. Oct. 23, 1858. Unmd. 8 IV. Clara Electa, b. Mar. 27, 1860. Unmd. 9 V. Osmo Cady, b. May 2, 1862; d. Nov. 26, 1881. Unmd. 10 VI. Libby Lestina, b. July 3, 1867; md., Nov. 1, 1883 in St. Cloud, Minn., Charles S. Allen. One child: 11 1. Warren Hildreth Allen, b. Feb. 11, 1885.
Copyright © 1999, 2006, The Whitney Research Group