Archive:History of Westminster, Heywood, Whitney 1
Heywood, William Sweetzer, History of Westminster, Massashusetts (First named Narragansett No. 2), From the date of the original grant of the township to the present time, 1728-1893, with a Biographic-Genealogical Register of its Principal Families, (Vox Populi Press: S.W. Huse & Co., Lowell, Mass.: 1893); New England Historic Genealogical Society Call No. F/74/W72/H6.
Page 1 of 6
- This has been a common name in town from an early period of its history. While springing from two distinct local sources for the most part, the families known by it have descended from one original immigrant pair - John1, b. ab. 1600, and Elinor, b. ab. 1605, - who, with 5 chn., embarked in the ship Elizabeth and Ann, at Ipswich, Eng., April, 1635, for the new world. Under the auspices of the Mass. Colony, they set. in Watertown, afterwards Waltham, becoming the progenitors of a multitudinous and widely distributed posterity. Another early immigrant of the name of John Whitney located in Conn., and from him a progeny scarcely less prolific, scattered, like that of the first-mentioned, all over the land.
- John1 and Elinor Whitney had a s. John2, b. in the mother country in 1624, who accompanied his parents to N. E., and became the f. of Nathaniel3, whose s. William4 was a prominent citizen of the town of Weston. The latter m. Martha Pierce, Watertown, who bore him William5, the father of Phineas6, first minister of Shirley, and William6, an early resident of Winchendon, from whom sprung the Whitney families of the north part of Gardner.
- 1. Whitney, Samuel5, another s. of William4 and Martha, was b. May 23, 1719. He m. Oct. 20, 1741, Abigail Fletcher, and soon after came to this place, locating on lot No. 51, near the No. Common, where Leander Hartwell now lives. The ho. he built stood a few rods south of the site of the present one. He was a prominent, capable, and much esteemed resident of the township, one of the Executive Com. of the Propriety, and Selectman 3 yrs. after incorporation. He also held a commission as Lieut. in the Militia of the Province. He was a man of wealth and influence, having a large landed estate, which enabled him to give each of his sons a farm, it is said, before or at his decease. He d. Jan. 1, 1782. His w., Abigail (Fletcher), d. at an unfound date. Chn.:
2. Abigail6, b. Aug. 27, 1742; prob. d. young, as nothing further appears. 3. Mary6, b. May 29, 1744; m. (1) Elijah (4) Gibbs and (2) Edward Scott; res. W. and Fg. 4. Samuel6, b. Feb. 11, 1746; m. Thankful Wilder; res. W. 5. Abner6, b. May 18, 1748; m. twice; res. W. 6. Achsah6, b. Sept. 30, 1750; d. May 14, 1772. 7. Silas6, b. Oct. 20, 1752; m. Sarah Withington; res. Ash; 8 chn.; d. Nov. 14, 1798. 8. Martha6, b. Nov. 26, 1755; d. young 9. Elisha6, b. July 2, 1757; m. Eunice (8) Seaver; res. W., etc. 10. Alpheus6, b. Feb. 25, 1759; m. Esther Hartwell; res. W.; no chn.; d. March 7, 1821.
[p. 688] 1. Hartwell, Phineas5, s. of the last named [Phineas and Mary (Pierce) Hartwell], was b. Fg., July 25, 1781. He m. June 16, 1807, Elizabeth, dau. of Charles and Sarah Willard of the same place, and came here to live with his uncle, Alpheus Whitney, on the farm where his s., Leander, now res. He d. Oct. 19, 1853, a. 72. His w. d. March 2, 1862, a. 82.
11. Phineas6, b. Jan. 16, 1761; m. Elizabeth (5) Rand; res. W., etc. 12. Hananiah6, b. Dec. 18, 1762; m. Azubah Keyes ; res. W. and Winch.; sev. chn.; d. 1828.
[p. 738] [7.] Azubah6, dau. Eli5 and Hannah (How) Keyes, b. June 5, 1757; m. Hannaniah Whitney; res. Winch.; 12 chn.
13. Martha6, b. Sept. 18, 1764; m. Benjamin (9) Seaver; res. W.; 10 chn.; d. Sept. 2, 1832. 14. Susannah6, b. Feb. 9, 1767; d. young.
- [4.] Whitney, Samuel6, oldest s. of the last, was pub. to Thankful Wilder, June 30, 1784. He seems to have located first on lot No. 65, 2d Div., B. P. Hill, the site of the house being still recognizable here. (see A. H. No. 9), but later in life built and occupied the dwelling which was for many years the res. of his son, Smyrna Whitney. He d. in 1812, a. 66. Chn.:
15. Smyrna7, b. March 5, 1786; m. Ruth (93) Whitney; res. W. 16. Pliny7, b. Nov. 13, 1787; m. and set. Wilton, N. H. 17. Moses7, b. May 19, 1789; in company with Joel Wood awhile; set. Lyndeboro, Vt. 18. Salome7, b. Jan. 10, 1792; m. Samuel Hale; res. Fg.; sev. chn. One of her sons was Hon. Samuel W. Hale, Ex-Governor of N. H., recently dec'd.
- [5.] Whitney, Abner6, bro. of the last, m. (1) Elizabeth Glazier, dau. of Jonas and Eunice, Shy., May 14, 1770, and set. on the west part of his father's homestead, - the recent town farm. His w., Elizabeth, d. April 3, 1778, and he m. (2) her sister, Levinah (Glazier) Ward, April 22, 1779. She d. July 23, 1838, a. 79. His decease occurred in 1811, at the age of 63. Chn.:
19. Oliver7, b. Dec. 8, 1770; d. June 24, 1794, unm. 20. John7, b. July 28, 1772; prob. m. Susannah Smith; res., etc., unkn. 21. Levi7, b. Jan. 1, 1777; m. Rebecca Warren.
22. Jonas W.7, b. April 22, 1780; m. Phebe (12) Rand ; res. W. 23. Joseph G.7, b. June 22, 1783; m. Lavina (4) Dunn; res. W. 24. Elizabeth7, b. Aug. 2, 1785; m. Lorey (17) Barnes; res. W., etc. sev. chn. 25. Dolly7, b. Oct. 26, 1791; m. Vinal (3) Dunn; res. W.; 10 chn.; d. April 2, 1884. 26. Abel7, b. May 14, 1793; d. unm. April 28, 1852.
- [9.] Whitney, Elisha6, bro. of the last, m. Eunice (8), dau. of Norman and Sarah (Reed) Seaver, in 1781, and seems to have settled on lot No. 79, 2d Div., at the S. E. end of B. P. Hill. (See A. H. No. 24) His name disappears from the records ab. 1800, and it is thought that he rem. to Winch. Nothing further known. Chn.:
27. Orpah7, b. Sept. 24, 1783 28. Joseph7, b. Feb. 22, 1785. 29. Sarah7, b. Nov. 26, 1787; d. May 11, 1789. 30. Tryphena7, b. Jan. 18, 1788. 31. Tryphosa7, b. March 2, 1790?. 32. Norman S.7, b. May 22, 1791.
- [11.] Whitney, Phineas6, of the same family, m. Elizabeth (5), dau. of John and Tabitha Rand, in 1788. He set. on the northerly part of his father's estate, in the house now occupied by John C. Goodridge (2). Mr. Whitney sold the place to Jacob Sawyer, from whom it passed to Joel Whitney, and rem. to Pittsford, Vt., where it is sup. both he and his w. spent the remainder of their days. Chn.:
33. Lydia7, b. March 30, 1788. 34. Betsey7, b. Dec. 27, 1789. 35. Nancy7, b. Sept. 21, 1791. 36. John7, b. July 28, 1779. 37. Thomas7, b. March 18, 1795.
- [15.] Whitney, Smyrna7, s. of Samuel6 and Thankful (Wilder) Whitney, m. Ruth (93), dau. of Nathan and Eunice (Puffer) Whitney, a distant cousin (pub. Oct. 11, 1812), and succeeded to his f.'s estate on B. P. Hill. He was a prosperous farmer and a substantial, honored citizen, active in public affairs, serving some years as Selectman and as one of the Sch. Com., and in other less conspicuous places. He d. May 16, 1857; a. 71. His wid., Ruth, d. 6 months later, Nov. 25, a. 68. Chn.:
38. Lucinda8, b. Sept. 14, 1814; m. Josiah (4) Page; res. W.; 3 chn.; d. Jan. 1893. 39. Eunice8, b. Aug. 29, 1818; m. Franklin (1) Lombard; res. W.; 7 chn; d. 1891. 40. Samuel8, b. March 7, 1821; m. Caroline (21) Puffer; res. Fg.; 4 chn.; d. March 31, 1868. 41. Caroline8; b. Jan. 21, 1823; d. Feb. 16, 1823. 42. Charles H.8, b. Nov. 10, 1824; m. Abbie A. Tolman; res. Shirley; living. 43. Nathan8, b. July 20, 1828; m. Mary S. Tolman; res. Bennington, N. H.; l. 44. George E.8, b. June 5, 1831; m. Sarah J. Tolman; res. Keene, N. H.; living.
- [22.] Whitney, Jonas Ward7, s. of Abner6 and Levinah Whitney, m. Phebe (12), dau. of Zachariah and Jerusha (Sawyer) Rand, May 27, 1800, and res. on the estate occupied by his f. He was a trusted and honored townsman, serving 5 years as Selectman, and in other useful positions. He d. June 8, 1826, a. 46. His wid. d. Dec. 4, 1835, a. 54. Chn.:
45. Phebe8, b. Sept. 8, 1800; m. Gideon Beaman; res. W.; d. Feb. 16, 1864. 46. Flint8, b. Feb. 8, 1804; d. Sept. 15, 1805. 47. Franklin8, b. Sept. 15, 1806; d. Jan. 15, 1840.
48. Louisa8, b. Sept. 4, 1808; m. Philander C. (31) Brown ; res. W.; 8 chn.; d. April 8, 1888. 49. George W.8, b. March 7, 1813; m. Dolly Jackson ; res. W.; 3 chn.; living. 50. Jonas N.8, b. Aug. 29, 1816; m. Nancy Lynde; res. W.; 4 chn.; d. June 4, 1884. 51. John M.8, b. March 30, 1819; m. Susan Winchester; res. W.; no chn.; d. May 23, 1861. 52. Aaron F.8, b. July 25, 1821; m. Mary Ann Read; res. Fg.; City Almoner; no chn.; living. 53. Lucy Ann8, b. Nov. 17, 1823; m. Milton (20) Wetherbee; res. Fg.; 1 chd.; living.