Archive:NEHGR, Volume 101
From WRGJump to navigationJump to search
Archives > Archive:Extracts > Archive:The New England Historical and Genealogical Register > NEHGR, Volume 101
"Memoirs," NEHGR, vol. CI (1947), p. 167.
- MRS. LEMUEL WHITNEY SAFFORD (EDA ALMIRA WHITNEY), of Burlington, Vt., elected an annual member 5 Nov. 1929, was born in Burlington, 13 Jan. 1877, daughter of William Elijah and Emma Almira (Payn) Whitney, and died in Burlington 18 Dec. 1946.
- She was descended from John1 Whitney, who came to Watertown, Mass., married Elinor -----, and died there 1 June 1673; through John2, born in England, made a Freeman 26 May 1647 and died 12 Oct. 1692, having married Ruth Reynolds; Nathaniel3, born in Watertown 1 Feb. 1646, married Sarah Hagar and died in Weston, Mass., 7 Jan 1732; Nathaniel4, born in Weston 5 March 1674, married Mary Robinson, and died 23 Sept. 1730; Joshua5, who married Mehitable Nelson; Lemuel6 who married Thankful Griffith; Joseph7 who married Orinda Stafford; Lemuel8 who married Catherine E. Conrow and William Elijah9 and Emma Almira Payn, her parents.
- On her mother's side Mrs. Whitney was descended from Elder Brewster of the Mayflower passengers.
- She was educated at the Burlington high school, from which she graduated on June 1896 and the Burlington Business College, from which whe graduated in 1897.
- She married Lemuel Whitney Safford 4 June 1901. Her husband died 4 Feb. 1906 and she is survived by one son, Whitney Daniel Safford of Burlington.
Copyright © 1999, 2006, The Whitney Research Group