Archive:NEHGR, Volume 58
Archives > Archive:Extracts > Archive:The New England Historical and Genealogical Register > NEHGR, Volume 58
Bartlett, J. Gardner, "John Hill of Dorchester, Mass., and His Descendants," NEHGR, vol. LVIII (1904), pp. 237-246.
- Isaac[5Hill, son of David4 and Sarah (Thayer) Hill (Ebenezer3, John2, John1)], b. Aug. 11, 1720; was a husbandman, and lived in Holliston, where he was selectman in 1759, 1764, and 1771. He acknowledged a deed on Feb. 24, 1773; and his heirs made an agreement on his estate on May 26, 1773, so he died in the spring of that year. Heirs mentioned: widow Lydia, eldest son Jonathan6, and Whitney, Dorothy, Lydia and Susanna. (Middlesex Co. Probate.) He m., about 1743, Lydia, b. Mar. 3, 1712-13, dau. of Jonathan and Susanna Whitney of Sherborn. She d. before Apr. 3, 1780, when her real estate was divided. (Middlese Co. Deeds.) Their third child, Whitney6, b. May 13, 1748, is called a "joiner" or housewright in deeds; lived in Holliston, where he d. July 26, 1800, having served in several campaigns in the Revolution (see Mass. Archives); m. Aug 5, 1773, Rachel, b. Apr. 29, 1754, dau. of Timothy and Ruth (Leland) Daniel of Sherborn, who d. Sept. 7, 1850, aged 96 years; seven children. [Footnote: Mr. Lew Cass9 Hill, for whom this Hill genealogy was compiled, is a descendant of Whitney6, through his third child Arnold7, b. Sept. 4, 1778, who m. in Medway, May 26, 1803, Levina, b. in 1785, dau. of Robert and Levina (Cook) Smith of Bellingham. Arnold7 removed from Mass. to Pittsford, Vt., and later to Hubbardton, Vt., where he d in. 1844. One of his sons, Clark Peletiah8, b. Feb. 11, 1821, in Pittsford, Vt., resided in Hubbardton and Fair Haven, Vt., until 1865, when he moved ot Hammondton, N. J., where he d. in 1895, m. Apr. 5, 1851, Eliza M., b. Aug. 30, 1829, dau. of James and Tamsin (Lewis) Pratt of Fair Haven, Vt. Their eldest son was Lew Cass9, b. Mar. 18, 1852, in Fair Haven, Vt., resides in Boston, where he m. Apr. 4, 1873, Clara Kendall, b. Sept. 20, 1852, dau. of Charles Dustin and Mary Kendall (Whiting) Marcy of Boston, and has three children.]
Rice, Franklin P., "Baptisms from the Records of the First Church of Holden, Mass., 1743-1822, the Births Not Being on Town Records," NEHGR, vol. LVIII (1904), pp. 371-377.
- Whitney, Alpheus, s. Samuel and Sarah, May 6, 1760. Narragansett No. 2.
- Whitney, Nathan, s. Nathan and Tabitha, May 6, 1760.
- Whitney, Shadrack, s. Timothy and Catherine, Oct. 14, 1770.
Talcott, Mary Kingsbury, "Records of the Church in Vernon, Conn. 1762-1824," NEHGR, vol. LVIII (1904), pp. 400-403; vol LIX (1905), pp. 412-416; vol. LX (1906), pp. 73-81, 262-268.
[v. LVIII, p. 402]
- Nov. 27 . Sarah Daughter of Josiah Whitney [baptized].
[v. LIX, p. 412]
- Octr 30 . Sarah Whitney Aged about 16 yrs. [buried].
[v. LX, p. 79]
- Novbr 26 . Josiah Whitney & Mary Loomis [married].
[v. LX, p. 262]
- Sept 29 . Josiah Whitney [joined the church].
Copyright © 1999, 2006, The Whitney Research Group