Archive:NEHGR, Volume 6
Archives > Archive:Extracts > Archive:The New England Historical and Genealogical Register > NEHGR, Volume 6
[Anonymous] "The Swett Family", NEHGR, vol. VI, (1852), pp. 49-62
- Samuel Swett, son of Joseph, and brother of Mrs. Lemmon and Mrs. Lee, was the partner of his brother-in-law Robert Hooper, married Anna Woodbury, niece of Rev. John Barnard, and had children, Dr. John Barnard Swett, (adopted son and heir of Rev. Mr. Barnard) Joseph, who married Curtis and left no children, Ann, who married Knight and left children, Samuel, who married Salter and left children, Martha, now living, (November, 1851) in her 92d year, Stephen, who married Prince, (and had children Samuel Woodbury, president of the National Insurance office, and Anna Woodbury, unmarried.), Sarah, who married Prince and left children, Ruth, who married Doctor Drury and left no children, Hannah, who married Henry Jackson, (and had children Dr. John B. Jackson, Mary Wendell, wife of Samuel Woodbury Swett, and Henry, who married Lavina Whitney and left a son) Benjamin, who married Sarah Webb, of Salem (and left children Wm B., and Anna W.) and Samuel who left children.
Trask, W. B., of Dorchester, "Genealogy of the Ware Family", NEHGR, vol. VI, (1852), pp. 145-150.
- JOSIAH,3 [WARE] (16.) -- went to Needham, soon after reaching the age of 21; purchased a tract of uncultivated land, where he commenced farming, and there continued till the time of his death in 1798;
- m. 1st Lydia Macintire, Jan. 7, 1741, children,
- (24.) I. Josiah,4* (44.) b. in Needham, Sept. 15, 1742, moved when young to Wrentham, m. Lois, dau. of Elisha & Phebe Ware of W., June 8, 1770. He died, Oct. 23, 1836.
- (25) II. Elijah,4 b. Feb. 7, 1744, d. young.
- (26) III. Lydia,4 (51.) b. 1745, m. Solomon Flagg, of Needham, Sept. 4, 1766.
- (27) IV. Elijah,4 (57.) b. Sept. 30, 1747, m. Rebecca Woodward. He died in 1817.
- m. 2d, Dorothy Dewen, April 13, 1750 had
- (28) V. Asa,4 (58.) b. March, 5, 1751, moved early to Wrentham, m. Phebe, dau. of Elisha and Phebe Ware of W. -- lost his left hand at the battle of Monmouth under Genl Lee -- was Deac. of the church near 40 years, and died May 9, 1832.
- (29) VI. Dorothy,4 b. May 16, 1752, m. Josiah Hall of Wrentham; no issue. She died in 1815.
- * He was a worthy and industrious farmer, and one of the building Committee for erecting the first church in N. Wrentham.
- (30) VII. Joseph,4 (65.) the author of the journal, b. Oct. 15, 1753, m. Esther Smith of Needham. She was born Jan. 16, 1756. He was a farmer, and followed that occupation till the commencement of the Revolution, when he entered the army; served through the war; was at the batles of Concord and Ticonderoga; acted as orderly sergeant and recruiting officer; * d. Nov. 12, 1805. His widow d. Aug. 1834.
- (31) VIII. Daniel, 4 (72.) "Esq." b. May 19, 1766, m. Abigail Newell, He passed two terms of service, of 3 months each, as orderly sergeant, in the army, and filled, afterward, various public offices in Needham.
- m. 3d, Mehitable Whitney, Oct. 13, 1757, had
- (32.) IX. Mehitable,4 b. Aug. 3, 1758, m. Whitney of Stow. She d. in 1835.
- (33) X. William,4 b. 1760, d. young.
- m. 4th Sibel Robinson, April 19, 1764; no issue.
- * The family had in their possession, less than twenty years ago, a book, which cannot now be found. It contained, with other matters of interest, the names of all the men whom Sergeant Ware enrolled.
"Subscribers to Prince's Chronology", NEHGR, vol. VI, (1852), pp. 189-199.
- Whitney, Mr. Jonathan, of Wrentham, (for Twenty-Four).
Jones, Miss Electa F., of Stockbridge, "Ancestry of the Jones Family, Stockbridge, Mass.", NEHGR, vol. VI, (1852), pp. 279-286.
- Dea. Josiah Jones, and his wife, Fidelia West, settled on the farm in Stockbridge, given by the government to his grandfather, as a missionary, wher ehe died, Feb. 10,1834, and where his widow still resides. Their children are, Elizabeth Williams, b. Oct. 28, 1797, m. Sept. 4, 1820, to Dea. David Curtis of Stockbridge; Stephen West, b. July 29, 1799, m. March 3, 1824 to Dulesa Crosby, of S.; Anna, b. Dec. 5, 1801, m. Sept. 2, 1822, to Dea. Wm. Whitney of S.; Emily, b. Dec. 17, 1803, m. Oct. 24, 1827, to Lewis Nash of S., (she d. Nov; 28, 1828,); Electa Fidelia, b. Feb 22, 1806; Cornelia, b. July 6, 1808; m. Sept. 22, 1830, to Wolcott M. Spencer of Springfield, Ohio; Julia, b. March 30, 1811, m. Oct. 13, 1842, to Samuel B. Brown of Dayton, Ohio; Sophronia, b. Oct. 7, 1813, m. to George Coles of Springfield, Ohio, May 9, 1836; and Frederic, b. July 25, 1816, m. Feb. 1, 1843, to Ruth Maria Rosseter of Stockbridge.
Copyright © 1999, 2006, The Whitney Research Group